PDA

View Full Version : transition from conventional to glass cockpit..

high flyer 13
24th Feb 2010, 22:22
just wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advice, im planning to do my cpl and ir on a DA40/DA42 aircraft and im a bit concerned about how difficult it is to come from flying conventional type cockpit to flying a glass type with the stick in the centre as the da40/42 has, im more used to pipers pa28 cessna 172..just curious to find out will it take alot more hours/money just to get used to the glass cockpit or is it fairly straight forward.?? or would i just be better off sticking to the conventional cockpit..!!
if anyone has any experience in this id much appreciate to hear their advice thank you.:ok:

SloppyJoe
24th Feb 2010, 22:46
pretty straight forward. Will just take a couple of hours to get your eyes used to where to look for stuff. Stick is also pretty natural feeling and no real issue with it for most.

Philflies
25th Feb 2010, 18:58
Don't worry about it too much I think you'll be fine with the transition. I did PPL and a few years on conventional, then CPL + MEP on DA40/DA42, then IR on conventional. It takes a few hours to adjust eachtime, but you do enough hours on the course to adjust your scan and become comfortable. Like wise with the yoke/stick scenario.

Phil