PDA

View Full Version : Did anybody get a job in the last year and a half

higgsworld
24th Feb 2010, 17:40
Hi all,

I was just wondering if anybody got a job or at least an interview in the last year and a half (since autumn 2008). Because Im beginning to wonder if its just me :(.

Cheers.

North of the Field
24th Feb 2010, 21:40
I finished in August 2008 and haven't had a whiff of an interview. So it isn't just you.

balhambob
24th Feb 2010, 21:40
It must be you cause I landed one but it took a few interviews.

I have been clocking up the hours but the early starts have been hard to adjust to.

I have been working as an Accountant for over a year now.

DA-10mm
25th Feb 2010, 03:12
in an airplane? No.
flippin' burgers and being a mall cop? Yes.

livin' the dream...

A10Warthog
25th Feb 2010, 09:16
Got laid off...
Back to engineering.

Not a single interview...:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

norton2005
25th Feb 2010, 18:16
I finished in may 2009, managed to get 2 interviews in the 10 months since I finished but havent been able to actually secure a job from these interviews so still looking!!

GearDownFlaps
25th Feb 2010, 18:20
I got my job as an FI which is where i want to be , out of twelve on my gs which started in april 2008 7 are with ryr one is with a private jet operator one is flying kingairs for an air amb company and two are flying jetstreams in the CI.

MIKECR
25th Feb 2010, 18:42
I got my 1st flying job at the end of last year with a UK regional airline. I'd been job hunting for 2 and a half years so completely ironic that it finally came at such a terrible time recruitment wise. I know just how incredibly lucky I've been.

higgsworld
25th Feb 2010, 18:43
Pretty good. Where did you take your groundschool?

GearDownFlaps
25th Feb 2010, 18:56
BCFT in bournmouth but didnt fly there cos they not very good, but thats a different story

Ronand
25th Feb 2010, 20:54
@GearDownFlaps Must have been one hell of a class then:rolleyes:

v6g
26th Feb 2010, 01:23
I know quite a few recent graduates from a big integrated school. Only two in last years class got jobs in aviation: one empties airliner toilets now whilst the other throws bags into a 737 cargo hold.

(both of their instrument ratings will have just expired)

Glamorous.

I'm quite grateful for their parent's little flutter though, since it keeps things ticking over for flight instructors.

Leezyjet
26th Feb 2010, 01:43
Nope, not a sniff. I have only had 2 replies to applications, and one of them was from Jet Republic !! :ugh:

TBH I have only applied for about 10 jobs in the last 18 months, as the other chaps from my course have been sending out plenty of CV's and got nothing, so I thought it isn't worth the stamps or paper to just keep firing off CV's to nowhere for the time being.

Thankfully, I kept my current job and managed to do the training around it , so I still have a steady job and income until things pick up.

:zzz:

(just noticed this is my 767th post - maybe it's an omen :E:8 )

Tolan
26th Feb 2010, 02:05
Yes, less than two months after I paid for my type rating and line training. CPL+IR+TR+Line cost me less than an Oxford/FTE/Cabair integrated course.

Let the flames begin.

albertaboy
26th Feb 2010, 03:26
Got a couple in Canada this year. Things are waking up in this frigid country:O

ian andrews
26th Feb 2010, 14:25
Managed to get a job on a bizjet but made redundant after 8 months. 14 months on still haven't even had an interview, although i have applied for absolutely everything, so no its not you.

potkettleblack
26th Feb 2010, 17:09
FR are hiring 250 hour wannabes. Its to profitable for them not to. Then there is the CTC enter the hold pool and wait a long time whilst servicing your debt scheme as well.

Of course there will be the exception to the rule but they usually fall into the category of having a foot in the door. Until the market picks up its either CTC or FR it would seem for low timers.

A330ETOPS
26th Feb 2010, 18:10
2 interviews in 1 1/2 years. No job as yet. Can't get myself motivated at the moment to even bother looking for anything!

portsharbourflyer
26th Feb 2010, 20:50
Laid off from the turboprop fo job in 2008. Been back to the engineering contracting since.

Had two offers recently
1) Full time paid safety pilot position.
2) Chance to run a registered facility for a summer season
Also had a lead for a seasonal FO job on a JAR23 aircraft.

However all involved living away from home and financially having to rent a room along side the mortgage plus the expense of travelling home on days off meant it wasn't financially viable this year. Also when I consider the pay cut I would be taking, I have decided not to pursue any of these opportunities. As much as I miss flying for a living a job still has to pay the bills.

djanello
27th Feb 2010, 00:57
Yes.

I was one of the few that got selected for Lionair. Had to pay for a typerating but with a permanent (non-seasonal) job and a higher salary than initially expected not a bad deal. Until I failed the medical in Indonesia. :mad:

Started applying again early December, got an invitation half December for a German non-DLR company and went for it. Got the job and am officially working again on a summer season 737 job from the 8th of February. Was officially unemployed for 1 month.

After being hired, I also got emails from interpersonal for both Condor and Cityline. (Cityline arrived today by email actually)

and yes, I consider myself very lucky.

cessnagirl
27th Feb 2010, 01:12
Had 2 offers last year-2009.

First flying Kingairs, pay for type rating and salary of £18,000.

Second, on a scheme with a certain operator that uses jetstreams. Work 2 years in operations with accomodation provided and a yearly salary of £12,000. After the two years, a bonded type rating on their aircraft and a salary of £22,000.

As I'm still paying off a student loan, I declined both offers. At the end of the day, you have to be practical. You need to be able to put food on your table and a roof over your head.

Since then, I've been promoted in my current job earning 55K and if I play my cards right, I could have a chance to move up the ladder within the next year or two.

I'm sure there's a few of you out there who regard me foolish for not taking up one of the offers I got. But since then, the kingair operator have cut their fleet to two aircraft and the other crowd have cut some routes and are imposing pay cuts on their pilots. Hindsight is all very well, isn't it? I decided to play it safe and as luck would have it, made the right decision.

It was a great boost for my confidence to get job offers in an inclement job market. I don't regret my decisions. I'm confident I will get a better offer when the market picks up, which I will be in a position to accept. Meanwhile I'm making the best of a bad situation. I'm keeping current. I've bought a flat in an upmarket area, which will be a good future investment. Also, I'm clearing off any debts and living my life as best as I can.

And my usual two cents worth...
-Believe in yourself and your abilities. If you don't, nobody else will.
-STAY CURRENT!!!
-Don't put your life on hold. Life is for living.
-Never sell yourself short.
-Look after your health. No class 1, you know what that means.
-If life hands you a bag of lemons, make lemonade.

So.... critics...
Go right ahead. You're entitled to your opinions.

Trolls...
Get back under your bridge.

Regards, CG

flyprototype
27th Feb 2010, 02:09
1 interview after my cpl, and I got the job 3 weeks later...I was so happy...ok I am good...
what do you except when you come from Oxford?a job of course when modular won't get anything for years.

(i am talking about a job at mac do!!!)

Tolan
27th Feb 2010, 04:18
flyprototype, to quote cessnagirl:

Trolls...
Get back under your bridge.

Nashers
27th Feb 2010, 05:15
i think he is talking about his job under the golden arches called McDonalds!

Bukowszky
27th Feb 2010, 09:01
sorry to say, but absolutely nothing is out there for a beginner.

I am: an aeroplane engineer with ICAO/JAA CPL-IR+ME, frozen ATPL, ICAO level 5, 280 hours total, etc..

I am willing to pay for type rating and even line training IF there is a signed job contract at the end. But there is no such thing.

hundreds of CVs sent, not one reply.

and very, very sorry to see that airlines do hire people:
-if they are buddies of the insiders
-if they pay about 30-50000 euros

and of course they do not get paid and of course they are back on the streets unemployed after 6 months.

this is tragic. aviation stinks.

bfisk
27th Feb 2010, 11:14
I was hired august 2008, and after med a know a few guys hired also. A few by Widerĝe, a few by AirBaltic and recently a few by Norwegian. Another chap got hired on a Navajo to fly aerial photography etc, and one by Thomas Cook. So the jobs are out there...

tom_ace
27th Feb 2010, 11:43
i paid easyjet 100k and i got a gr8 job, don't know how long it will last though

Wodka
1st Mar 2010, 12:24
Finished training March 2009 got lucky and landed full time para dropping role in April 2009... right place right time like so many of these things.

Have been looking to move onto Air Taxi / Biz Jet now since December but very little response from anyone to date.

epsum
2nd Mar 2010, 09:51
After finished in August 08, I got office job in businessjet company in Oct 08, and they sent me type rating course in may 09. Had another option also, to start as a FI in January 09. In this time between had got also 2 other flying job offers - last year as a FO in turboprops and in this January start fly similar type jet as I fly now.
Maybe I'am lucky but I think that lot of socializing and beer afterhours and hard work in the office has finally paid off - almost as important as to know people who know people who might like you to fly for them.

r1flyguy35
2nd Mar 2010, 14:30
flyprototype at least your honest :ok:

I was modular mid 2007, (GS only @ OAT), flight training completed, April 2008, probably paid half the amount you did and get a job rather quickly might I add. Though had to travel, pardon the pun.

Good luck to youall, hang in there..... :D

fade to grey
3rd Mar 2010, 07:56
Forget flyprototype,

He's so illiterate I would not even let him fly my 'wii sports resort dogfight'

bfisk
3rd Mar 2010, 19:18
Just heard about another guy today, being taken on by Danish Air Transport. I also know one guy who will start flying for a startup with D328s; and a few guys hired by Norwegian lately, too. So it seems things are starting to normalize.

stefair
4th Mar 2010, 00:57
So it seems things are starting to normalize.

:eek: lol sorry, couldn't help it...

ONCALL
4th Mar 2010, 02:36
bfisk,
could you share a little more info on how some of your friends are getting jobs at Norwegian, etc, please? What were their times, experience, etc if you don't mind. Tack!

Allioth
7th Mar 2010, 11:34
Finished my ATPL back in may 2009... :) Done MCC at OAA in Stockholm aiming for Ryanair... :) Got the interview 6 months later (that was Dec. 2009)... :) Paied £260 for my assessment... :*, but didn'g get through...:{ Still here. :sad: The only aircraft sound I hear is the one from those landing at Stansted Airport... As I work there for a car rental company.
Looking everywhere, but looks like all the airlines recruiting need 1000+ hours!!!
I think we'll all have to wait another couple of years, unless you try your chances in bush flying in Africa...
Good luck to all of us... :rolleyes:

Denti
7th Mar 2010, 14:57
We had to take on around 120 FOs during the winter, however training is quite stretched so we have to take another couple lufthansa studends who get their typerating from lufthansa so it is easier on our own training plus a few experienced tui FOs for the same reason. However we probably have to continue to hire more in all probability as much as training allows. Only caveat, you have to be fluent in german...

bfisk
9th Mar 2010, 13:27
Re Norwegian:

I personally know 3 that will start there. Two of them have no commercial operating experience but some FAA flight instructor experience (don't know total time, guess 1000-1500 hours?), but have worked in the cabin for a while. Third one is quite experienced smaller single- and multi turboprops and has worked with handling for DY before.

I've also heard that one other guy where I work is starting with DY, I don't know his experience level. Rumour also has it that there's quite a lot of the laid off SAS guys starting, although I would not be able to confirm that.

So it seems there are two ways in; a ****load of 737 time, or a foot on the inside.

niksmathew24
18th Mar 2010, 09:10
Finished in the late 2008's. Still living on hope. Tried in every continent but not even a single interview call. Was willing to do SSTR and work for free, still no good. So its not just you mate, around 40-50 chaps from a premier school in NZ are still jobless. But don't loose hope. Try try again until you succeed.:ok:
The coast is not far away. All The Best..!!

GBB
18th Mar 2010, 11:11
Was willing to do SSTR and work for free, still no good.

You might want to do SSTR and stay home as it's going to be exactly the same... :ugh:

In a commercial (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/Commerce) setting, the employer conceives of a productive (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/Productive) activity, generally with the intention of generating a profit (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/Profit_(economics)), and the employee contributes labour (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/Labour_(economics)) to the enterprise (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/Business), usually in return for payment of wages (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/Wage).

UFO999
5th Apr 2010, 19:17
Dear all, I could not read all your stories and not reply, may be i can help one or two of you only if you have CRJ200/700 PIC time.

niksmathew24
23rd Jun 2010, 04:35
In a commercial setting, the employer conceives of a productive activity, generally with the intention of generating a profit, and the employee contributes labour to the enterprise, usually in return for payment of wages.

Well with todays setting the employee should be willing to contribute labour for the sake of experience also.