PDA

View Full Version : Plane too heavy?!

martin.cowan
6th Jul 2000, 17:30
I paid my first visit to Loondon City yesterday for a flight to Brussels. Got to the gate to be met with a PA announcement to the effect that the plane (Dash 8-300) was overweight and had to lose two passengers...and all the hold baggage!! To cap it all, when we did finally get going, there were certainly more than 2 seats free.

It was a pretty warm and humid day, and I guess the runway at LCY isn't huge, but then we're not talking a 747 here. Any suggestions from the pros?

Kaptin M
9th Jul 2000, 15:54
Sounds as though they were carrying a fuel load [that is a MUST], that limited their take-off weight, or perhaps single engine enroute altitude capability. Fuel loads are dependant on many factors, least of which is not departure, destination, alternate, and enroute weather [how was Brussells weather?], and additionally, Air traffic Control [ATC] holding requirements.

Even though there were 2 spare seats, the aeroplane would still have been at maximum take-off, and/or landing weight.

Pom Pax
11th Jul 2000, 13:44
The forecast for that day was A light easterly wind. Max temp 63-68f (17-20c).

Anybody care to do a few sums?

Kaptin M
14th Jul 2000, 12:54
Pom Pax, an aviation forecast is quite a deal more detailed than what you've given above. Included are such items as cloud [amount, and base] fog, rain [intensity], haze, mist, visibility, and periods when the weather conditions are predicted to vary.

Unfortunately, a light Easterly wind, with a max. temp. gives no indication of any of the other necessary info.

Dr. Spin
17th Jul 2000, 23:21
sorry finger trouble

[This message has been edited by Dr. Spin (edited 17 July 2000).]