PDA

View Full Version : Jump Seat on US flights?

BigJETS
29th Jun 2000, 21:41
I'm probably the only one that doesnt know but, under what circumstances could I get a ride up front. I have no involvement with a company. Just want a ride, but I understand this cannot happen? It does happen on flights in other countries, true? There must be a way around this. I feel quite deprived. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

mutt
29th Jun 2000, 23:12
Federal Aviation Regulations restricts access to the cockpit. Passengers are not allowed.

Airlines that do not operate under the FARS may permit access if you ask politely.

Mutt

BigJETS
30th Jun 2000, 00:35
Thanks Mutt, Thats a heartening answer. Now, who might fall under the non-FAR category?

redsnail
1st Jul 2000, 03:36
At a guess, I would say any airline that is not US based and doesn't use N registered aircraft.

ExSimGuy
2nd Jul 2000, 19:01
But you can probably forget about SQ - I flew "ID90" with them recently and the flight that I wanted was full. I mentioned my "ex BOAC" and "daughter with US carrier" background in the hope of getting on the "spare seat up front" but apparently SQ's own regs (or maybe their licensing authority) are "company staff only"

But good luck - there are some airlines who will be pleased (and able) to "show you the office"

------------------
Flight Sims, very expensive toys - but real fun to play with!

[This message has been edited by ExSimGuy (edited 02 July 2000).]

Bigmouth
6th Jul 2000, 12:16
Some non-US airlines will let you do it. Ask nicely, make sure you´re not a journalist. And it certainly doesn´t hurt to be a good customer.