PDA

View Full Version : New CEO for SAA

nugpot
24th Feb 2010, 12:36
Rumour is that Siza Mzimela, currently CEO of SAX, is moving over to take the helm at SAA. Apparently news conference will be held today.

reptile
24th Feb 2010, 15:41
Confirmed. She's got the job.

SuperVanRider
24th Feb 2010, 16:54
After years of SAA being in the red, was it not enough to give the job to Chris Smyth who has done an excellent job since Mr Ngqula robbed the company millions of rands? I am not judging Mrs Siza Mzimela as I am not familiar with what she has done at SAX but yet again why take away what one man thought he had and proved himself to the government by running SAA as a profitable company?? :ugh:Race is not a factor, just poor decision making and we all know how that turns out in aviation wherether in or out of the cockpit.

Congratulations to Mrs Siza Mzimela. Its not gonna be easy but all the best!

reptile
24th Feb 2010, 17:40
Was she the one that asked if SAX really needed 2 pilots and 2 engines on all the aircraft? :ugh:

No - that would be the one currently at ATNS.

Q4NVS
24th Feb 2010, 18:56
Some background info as published by SAA Group Corporate Affairs

Biography:

After she graduated with a degree in economics and statistics, Mzimela's first job was in the small business and retail division of Standard Bank in 1991.

Three years later she joined Total SA as a corporate planning analyst responsible for managing capital projects, before joining SA Airways (SAA) in 1996 as a research analyst.

After various promotions at SAA, Mzimela was appointed executive vice-president of global passenger services in 2001/2, later taking on responsibility for the airline’s core business global sales and the airline's loyalty programme, Voyager in 2002/3.

She was involved in setting overall strategic direction for the sales and Voyager team and in actively managing and reducing costs. She was also responsible for the strategic positioning of SAA and for optimising alliance partnerships. She is also a board member of SA Tourism and was the Chairperson of the Airlines Association of South Africa for two years. In 2002, she was a finalist in the Nedbank Businesswoman of the Year Award.

Mzimela is a leader with substantial hands-on experience and whose positive attitude, strong negotiation skills and business acumen have helped her scale many heights. Her personal philosophy and values have led her to succeed, inspire and lead others.

Issued by SAA Group Corporate Affairs

:ok:

Tin-Tin
25th Feb 2010, 04:23
What a bright future! :ok:

fsx
25th Feb 2010, 09:57
Rumor is JVJ as SAX new CEO:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

legacy
25th Feb 2010, 10:13
hahaha! :E JvJ ... lol! :}

dievlieger
25th Feb 2010, 10:29
During the time I was at SAX she seemed to do a really good job. I am no business analist myself, but in five years the fleet just about doubled and we made good money every year. The crews were happy and morale was high. I think we all suspected that she was being groomed to take the job at SAA eventually. I wish her well and hopefully this will bring closer co-operation between SAX and SAA in the future, now that there is someone at Big Brother who knows the true value SAX can deliver. Just hope that SAX can get someone decent to run the company. Good luck guys and girls. :ok:

Coil
26th Feb 2010, 10:31
She's certainly sharp and will be just what SAA need's , however the million dollar question is who ( of course it's probably been decided already ) takes over from her at SAX and what are the consequences ??

Tin-Tin
26th Feb 2010, 10:40
Apparently they have approached Rodger Foster.Perhaps that merger with Link will go ahead soon:ok:

Der absolute Hammer
26th Feb 2010, 11:04
Ahhhh.....doing things the Link way?
I cannot imagine any of my chums at Spoories chucking the water over the brakes of their Airbuses or Boeings in order to facilitate quick turn arounds.

surely not
26th Feb 2010, 14:17
So did the announcement say what was happening to Chris Smyth after Siza Mzimela assumes the position of CEO?

By all accounts he has done a very good job and hopefully this is recognised in his new role.

flyknight
28th Feb 2010, 14:26
Thanks to Chris for steering the ship through troubled waters. Good luck to the new lady! She comes with good credentials. If she utilizes the many talents in SAA and steers away from political interference, she'll do just fine. Only time will tell.......