PDA

View Full Version : DC-9-30 performance

legacy
24th Feb 2010, 09:23
Hey all

I'm looking for info please on the performance of the DC9-30 series with -15 engines:

On MTOW, what field length would be required at say JNB elevation, no wind, temp say 25 degC, etc.:confused:

and/or : Would you have a payload restriction on a short runway (avg 1800m - 2000m) with the above conditions?:eek:

and/or - whats the shortest runway this aerie can operate out of (hot and high)?

From reading it's history, it was designed for "short runways".

I'm comparing aircraft and performance - since DC9 still widely used I'm quite interested.

four engine jock
24th Feb 2010, 10:29
I can give you B737-200 with -15. B737-200 is a bit better performer than the DC9-30 with -15 engines.

legacy
24th Feb 2010, 11:14
Thanks four engine jock .. how does it compare? Its hard to get any sort of info about the DC9 performance - nothing on the web!

JTrain
24th Feb 2010, 14:25
Contact Northwest Airlines, now merged with Delta.

They are in the process of parking all their -30 series DC-9s and would be happy to unload some to you. They'll be able to give you good performance data. Their machines should be in excellent shape.

JT

V1... Ooops
24th Feb 2010, 14:31
Hmmmmm.....

The characteristics of the "example calculation" provided by the original poster are remarkably similar to those of Goma, DRC.

The problem here is that although the performance data provided by the manufacturer at the time of original certification may show that operations are possible at the prevailing pressure altitude and temperature, the performance data does not allow for runway contamination due to rubber that has accumulated on the pavement, lack of runway grooving to permit water runoff... or, obviously, any degradation of the engines beyond what was permitted at time of certification.

That makes it kind of difficult to determine what the 'real world' level of safety would be operating such an aircraft out of Goma. According to 'book performance figures', the Hewa Bora DC-9 flight that crashed into the marketplace in Goma about 2 years ago should have been able to fly away. It didn't.

legacy
25th Feb 2010, 08:49
Thanks guys...

I'm aware the figures often provided for "planning" are rarely accurate. I'm not looking for actuals - basically: can the aerie perform in those conditions and with what payload % ?

I'll see if Northwest can help too - thanks!:ok:

atpcliff
25th Feb 2010, 15:14
Hi!

It also depends on the -30. The -31? or -33 is much lighter than the -34.

cliff
NBO

Mobotu
25th Feb 2010, 20:30
Operating the DC-9 using your specs is no real problem - like V1 I think you are referring to Goma - but be carefull which model you have - ie -30/32 with standard tanks or aux belly tanks can make a big difference even if you don't use them. In general expect to take about 9.5 tonnes out of there without much trouble. If your lucky enough to find a -34 expect to take around 12.5 tonnes - if you want me to check the official manual I will have to remove the cobwebs....:rolleyes: - checked the books - about 1 tonne below the figures I gave you but then again in Goma planes use ALL the runway and you never really know your exact payload!:\

9-er
28th Feb 2010, 06:38
All -30 series DC-9's fitted with engines from the JT8D-11 and upwards possess pretty useful capability when it comes to getting out of short hot-and-high airfields with decent payload. As mentioned in the above threads, some variables occur depending upon exactly which -30 series variant you wish to operate, but I reckon any -30 series with -15's will be able to do a pretty decent job for you off a runway with the dimensions you described.

Superb aircraft,the old Niner:ok::ok::ok:

spacedaddy
1st Mar 2010, 13:10
I recently spoke with a well known (notorious?) DC-9 RSA pilot who said that the DC-9 can carry 6 tons in the belly and they regularly do. I don't know the aircraft but this seems a bit far-fetched. Anyone care to let me know?

legacy
2nd Mar 2010, 04:19
Thanks for all the info guys! I didn't realise this aerie was such a great "performer"... somehow I always put it on the shelf because it's from the older generation! I am not really concerned about the particular 30's series (-32 -33 etc) performance - I'm not planning an operation!:}

No wonder these aeries are always flying around Africa! Appreciate the info and input!:ok: