PDA

View Full Version : Controlled Explosion at CDG

trustno1
5th Dec 2000, 03:35
Or should that be Uncontrolled Explosion at CDG. Last night I was leaving CDG on the AF flight for LHR at 18:00. At about 17:20 there was a security alert due to an unattended bag beside the queue for passport control for gate F44. The area was sealed off and the bomb disposal team showed up.We were held back about 40 metres from the suspect package. Suddenly one of the bomb disposal teams blew a whistle twice and then carried out a controlled explosion on the suspect bag. My point is that if there had been any high exposive in this bag and it had gone off I believe the 40 metre distance btween us and the bag would not have offered us a lot of protection from flying debris. It is my opinion that the public should have been evacuated from the area completely. Please don't think I'm being a bit fussy. I come from Ireland where these situations are always taken very seriously. I think that the situation could have been handled a lot better.
Another situation occured a little while back while I was waiting to board a flight from Catania to Rome. From the gate area I noticed one of the baggage handlers smoking while loading bags onto my flight. The aircraft was been fuelled at the time. I pointed this out to an AZ redcap and he was totally disinterested. Some people will never learn.