PDA

View Full Version : Dressed to Kill.

BlueDiamond
19th Nov 2000, 12:50
A casual comment from a colleague started me thinking about airline uniforms. We were talking together at an international terminal when he chuckled and pointed to a group of Singapore Airlines cabin crew walking towards us. I asked him what he found amusing and he replied, "Either they've found a way to grow those women from cuttings or else they have only one size of uniform which they hand out to applicants and if it fits, they're in."

What he said was funny enough but it prompted me to take a closer look at these people. The men were dressed in the usual male's uniform of jacket, pants etc. but it was the clothing worn by the female cabin crew that caught my attention. It could not have been any more closely fitted had it been glued on. Now, I am sure I can hear the appreciative sighs of agreement from the men who may be reading this but let's just think about this for a minute.

The reason we have flight attendants in the first place is because regulations require safety officers to be present on commercial flights in a prescribed ratio to passenger numbers. Airlines in general appear to ignore the fact that these people are there in that capacity and prefer to treat their cabin staff as models or publicity agents. I notice - as do we all - that they restrict their activities in this regard to the female staff members, leaving the male crew free to wear the more appropriate attire.

The above-mentioned Singapore Airlines crew was followed by another from Malaysia and surprise, surprise - identical and equally impractical clothing for the women crew members. The only difference was that the Malaysia women wore shoes which, while still completely inappropriate in type, at least covered their feet. The unfortunate Singapore women are obliged to make do with completely open footwear secured by a single fabric strap across the foot. These women spend their flight time handling sharps, hot things and all manner of items capable of causing injury if dropped yet they do not have proper footwear included in their uniform. Don't they have any occupational health and safety regulations on their side?

I do understand - but definitely do not condone - that airlines like to choose clothing for their staff that reflects their origins and culture. Perhaps it would be better for everyone if they were made to confine those expressions of national identity to the decoration of the aircraft rather than its crew. The question has to be asked - what good is anyone dressed like that going to be if push comes to shove? What is the point of having safety officers who wear clothing that is so restrictive that they can barely move? And what is the point of further incapacitating them with footwear barely suited to a slow stroll never mind the rapid and decisive activity required in an emergency situation?

Surely it would not be too difficult to design uniforms which reflect the airline's nationality but which are also practical, comfortable and permitting of free movement. (I believe South African has found a good balance here except that some of the women still wear skirts.) These people are not on the aircraft to complement its decor, they are there for a far more serious purpose and, I believe, their employers have a duty of care to be exercised in choosing clothing appropriate to the nature of the work. It would be very interesting to see what would happen if an airline was sued because of the inability of its crew member/s to carry out certain procedures due to the restrictive nature of the clothing provided.

[This message has been edited by BlueDiamond (edited 19 November 2000).]

[This message has been edited by BlueDiamond (edited 20 November 2000).]

pax domina
21st Nov 2000, 05:50
I have never flown on any of the airlines mentioned in Blue Diamond's post (or indeed seen any of the uniforms described above), so my opinion is indeed a very humble one.

Southwest cabin crew appear to be dressed in a way that would make it easy to assist pax (and get selves) out of a/c in an emergency.

ExSimGuy
21st Nov 2000, 10:30
My daughter is with USAir and they have the choice of skirt or trousers. Many of the lasses take the trouser (pants!) option and it's certainly a sensible way to go.

In the event of emergency, I believe she also has "follow me" printed on the soles of her shoes ;)

------------------
---- "Per Ardua ad Mixas" ----
(Through hardship to the bars)

Rollingthunder
22nd Nov 2000, 06:39
And I thought it was feet first down the slide :)

BlueDiamond
22nd Nov 2000, 06:46
G'day PaxD,
The uniforms I mentioned are almost identical. The skirt is an ankle-length cross-over or wrap-around style and is worn with a hip length top with round neck, three quarter sleeves and front buttons. The material is heavily patterned in what would be called a batik style with different base colours of reds, blues and greens. Both the Singapore and Malaysia uniforms are worn so closely fitted that if the women have anything more substantial than a lettuce leaf and a cup of water for lunch they'd be in discomfort for the rest of the day.

The clothing is certainly striking and distinctive but is not at all suitable for the job especially, as I was saying, those shoes worn by the Singapore Airlines women - they are just a flat sole with a single strap across the foot. Perhaps having attractive toes is a requirement for entry to this airline's cc ranks!!!

Your opinion isn't humble, PaxD, it's appreciated.

Corrected for tryping erors - can we get a spell checker on line?????

[This message has been edited by BlueDiamond (edited 22 November 2000).]

Damsel
22nd Nov 2000, 14:24
The SQ uniform is known as a Sarong kebaya.
The different colours representing Flight Stewardess, Leading Stewardess, Chief and Inflight Supervisor.

Next Generation PSR
22nd Nov 2000, 16:44
Yet again Blue Diamond, we think along similar lines. I've flown Thai on about a half dozen long haul flights and have often thought they have the most beautiful of uniforms, but along with the likes of SQ/AI/PK, is it really practical for potentially having to throw people out of aircraft in an emergency evacuation?

I know for a fact, one of the things that worries me with our cabin crew's uniform for the ladies is that their blouses and summer dresses, although smart and practical - how would they fare in a cabin fire? - they are made entirely of a highly synthetic viscose material. For that reason wherever possible I try to encourage them to wear their jackets for landing if possible (although not co.standard for t-off), so that a) they are visible with their red jackets in an evacuation, and secondly it would provide fire protection and also protection if they need to use slides. I wear my jacket for both of the above reasons. However at 6'2 and with a big shout on me, I doubt they'd have problems finding their way out with me on board!

I believe next year when we re-brand our company, the new uniform will include possibly trousers for the ladies.

I often wonder about low cost carriers, and the fact that some of them, especially GO, would not particularly stand out in an evacuation (grey t-shirts), however it has to be said their uniform is American style and probably the most practical for the ladies wearing it 'in the unlikely event'

Thanks BLUE DIAMOND for yet another interesting, thought provoking topic.

ExSimGuy
22nd Nov 2000, 18:04
Rolling Thunder,

I think she said that, during the training in the mock-up (I think she said that) the drill was "head-first dive through the emergency exit, followed by a neat mid-air cartwheel, to land feet-first on the top of the slide".

If Stan can arrange a suitably equipped window at the Gatwick Thistle on the 1st, I'll attempt to demonstrate at around 10pm ;)

------------------
---- "Per Ardua ad Mixas" ----
(Through hardship to the bars)