PDA

View Full Version : BA World Traveller, better than expected

Next Generation PSR
7th Nov 2000, 23:38
Have just flown two flights in British Airways World Traveller cabin LHR-SEA-LHR which I must admit was better than I had expected, and good value for £260 return.

Top tip firstly is to avoid Terminal 4 check-in, this looked a nightmare. Fortunately I had the sense to check in at Paddington.

Boarding was prompt onto the B747-200,
as always BAs aircraft are well cleaned and
the 20 year old bird was in generally good shape cabin wise, although starting to look a bit dated. I guess not much being done here
as due to be phased out next year.

Mineral water cups, books and games for children prior to take off.

In flight service was good with Drinks, more drinks and wine, Hot lunch with well being choice well presented and piping hot Stir-fry beeef. More drinks with coffee and tea,
then a nice afternoon tea before landing at SEA. Cabin crew were friendly and seemed to
be interested and helpful - mine always asked if I needed anything else when serving me a drink, so never had to ask for drinks.

Entertainment good however the main screen viewing continually interupted by passers-by
No seatback TVs, again due to fleet withdrawal I guess

Flights on time.

I/B seated on upper deck of the 747-200, away from children, with a club like feel
separated from rest of the masses.

Only down side was only 3 of my audio channels working and the toilet got blocked.
Charming flight attendant working on her own,
this added to the personal feel. With only 30 of us to be looked after the service was very quick allowing plenty of time to rest.

Juice and water offered regularly whilst resting.

All in all excellent value, and I got all my seat and food choices on the whole trip - amazing, well done.

VnV2178B
9th Nov 2000, 17:51
Lucky you, Next Gen. getting an old 74 to travel in. The last (and I do mean last) time I went BA world traveller was on a new 777 and it was so bad I vowed never again.
We got nothing before take-off, the in flight service was slow and difficult to obtain. A second drink request was ignored, as were subsequent ones probably because the cabin crew were rushed and looked so tired they could drop. The seats were horribly cramped, I am shorter than average and qualify for 'Little Ern' legs (for those who remember that far back) but my knees still touched the seat in front. The flight outbound was over an hour late, but that was due to inconsiderate pax who checked in and went shopping !!!
On the upside the IFE worked well all the time and the toilets functioned too.
And, as for terminal 4...

VnV...
the old ones are still the best

spaz
14th Nov 2000, 08:25

crazypilot
17th Nov 2000, 23:32
I've been over to the US twice this year, and I have to say, the BA flight was excellent. I also had a decent amount of legroom. Unfortunately, the Virgin Atlantic flight was far too packed- legroom was kept to an absolute minimum (and being 6'2''ft it wasn't that much fun)! I had no complaints about the service though.

bigseat
18th Nov 2000, 01:22
Regarding legroom in economy mentioned a bit above (my personal obsession - doesn't everyone have one?) I may be corrected on this but as far as I know, Virgin give you 32 inches pitch, whereas BA may be only 31 but occasionally 33. Interestingly, BA claim that the new world traveller seat gives extra 'knee room'. Allegedly.

If you are very tall, and flying to where air New Zealand fly (includes Los Angeles from London), then they give you a whopping(by todays standards) 34 inches (so they say) in pacific class- enough room even for me. Don't know about Quantas.

British Midlands new service from Manchester to Washington is planned to have 32 inches seat pitch (economy).

Continental are introducing an economy plus class (with oodles of legroom) for certain types of economy tickets, on a first come first served reservation basis, but priority is given to members of the continental frequent flying club.

The real good guys other than Air New Zealand, are American Airlines, who are slowly introducing lots more legroom in coach, us domestic first then international. Praise the lord!

In case anyone points it out, I know some airlines are introducing premium economy like virgin already have, but not with economy prices.

Just wondering, but does anyone know the seat pitch on concorde? I NEED to know.

[This message has been edited by bigseat (edited 17 November 2000).]