PDA

View Full Version : University Air Squadron Fitness

Alister101
22nd Feb 2010, 23:14
Hello chaps.

Am wanting to join the University Air Squadron. However, i've had a past history of migraines. These migraines have been linked to me growing and i only get a couple a year and within the past couple of months they have stopped. Would this stop me from flying ?
Thanks.

mad_jock
23rd Feb 2010, 01:51
yep been there done that

It will ban you from flying solo in the RAF.

Its not an issue at all for civi flying

Sorry

D O Guerrero
23rd Feb 2010, 09:18
Technically, migraine is a problem in civil flying! It is pretty much a bar to a class 1 medical.

mad_jock
23rd Feb 2010, 11:55
Neither Gatwick or my AME has had problem with me having them as a kid (as this person describes). I declared them was asked when was the last time I had one and its never been brought up since.

BIGBAD
23rd Feb 2010, 12:48
its only a problem if you tell them about it

Alister101
23rd Feb 2010, 13:29
well that kinda sucks since i was wanting to join the Fleet Air Arm. Does this leave me with any flying options at all?

mad_jock
23rd Feb 2010, 15:36
Civi and thats about it. There was a lad in the UAS who was an engineer joining up on a bursary even had his civi PPL and was a rising star in the gliding world. Even though he was perfectly legal to fly the machines solo on his PPL he could never go solo with the UAS.

gingernut
23rd Feb 2010, 17:11
Hi Alister,

may be worth a search on this forum using the search term "migraine" as the subject has been dealt with before.

I'd be interested in who diagnosed "migraine." You, your GP , a neurologist?

The reason I ask, is that the term "migraine" is often banded about, without the prescence of a firm diagnosis.

I'd expect that the authorities would be more interested in migraine which involves neurological symptoms, such as visual disturbance, strange sensations in the limbs, appetite changes, rather than the "migraine" that my wife claims to suffer when I have had too much beer!

Keep us posted, let us know when you've made your first solo circuit, our advice on this forum is lead by others experience.

Contacttower
23rd Feb 2010, 17:18
There was a lad in the UAS who was an engineer joining up on a bursary even had his civi PPL and was a rising star in the gliding world. Even though he was perfectly legal to fly the machines solo on his PPL he could never go solo with the UAS.

How long ago was that?

I used to be in the UAS and I know that recently they have changed their medical standards so that they are roughly equivalent to what an NPPL needs to meet (which I believe is similar to what an HGV driver needs meet as well). There is no longer a formal RAF medical as such, all you have to do is get a form signed by a GP declaring that you don't have an conditions that would render you unfit to fly. I don't know about migraines but I would be surprised if they prevented you from flying in the UAS.

mad_jock
23rd Feb 2010, 17:33
Double figures years.

Well good news then about the UAS.

Alister101
23rd Feb 2010, 18:27
cheers lads thats good news about the UAS :) and gingernut it was my GP. I would have visual disturbance ( a thumb print shape with jagged edges floating around for 40mins) which then led by a horrible headache. Next day or a few days later growing pains would follow, which suggests it was linked to me growing.