PDA

View Full Version : When to start ATPL Distance Learning?

iain32
22nd Feb 2010, 20:47
Hi,
I've recently completed my PPL and Night Qualification and I was wondering how long to wait after gaining my PPL before starting the ATPL exams. Should I start now or should I gain a bit more experience flying before I begin?

Thanks

Whirlygig
22nd Feb 2010, 20:49
Best time to start would be when the airline industry picks up and is recruiting.

Cheers

Whirls

flyvirgin
22nd Feb 2010, 21:04
The above post is prob the best advice your going to get, although i'm the idiot thats doing my Atpl now,

mcgoo
22nd Feb 2010, 21:07
Although you could argue that in a cyclical industry you want to be already qualified at the top of the cycle, not just starting to train.

Whirlygig
22nd Feb 2010, 21:22
Ah but the first take up in the recruitment slack will be taken by the experienced pilots; only then will the newly qualifieds get a look-in.

Cheers

Whirls

fanda78
22nd Feb 2010, 21:45
today airline being infected by current economical situation where it is cfo who is steering the ship rather than ops man - who, when needed will be hired first? experienced and expensive FO or inexperienced and cheaper FO? both of them will be sitting next to experienced cpt. ?
but again...
this discussion is self propelling and only time will show...
:ugh:

UAV689
23rd Feb 2010, 07:16
depends on how you will be studing the atpls, if your doing it distance learning you could start now and go slow over a course of 18 months, certainly no point in doing a FT course at present