PDA

View Full Version : Wing Commander Bob Doe, RIP

Mike7777777
22nd Feb 2010, 19:53
Epic obit

Wing Commander Bob Doe - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/military-obituaries/air-force-obituaries/7294353/Wing-Commander-Bob-Doe.html)

Edit: Had not noticed your comment before and I have removed it. I agree, Bob would not like to have seen that. It was crass.

stevfire2
22nd Feb 2010, 20:05
no doubt, at this moment in time, they are clearing the decks and re-scheduling things so that they can pay tribute to someone who actually made a difference to this country and our preserved our way of life!
or is that just wishful thinking?......:(

Mike7777777
22nd Feb 2010, 20:24
It would appear that it's only the Telegraph who are reporting this, so I apologise if Wing Commander Doe is reading of his demise ...

PPRuNe Pop
23rd Feb 2010, 14:02
A 'terrible pilot' are the words he used to describe himself when I met him at Biggin Hill a few years ago. But he soon proved he was nothing of the sort - when he shot down 14 aircraft in the BoB.

A remarkably nice man, a true Gentleman and a one of this country's true heroes.

juliet india mike
23rd Feb 2010, 14:52
Mike7777777.

The late Wing Commander and his fellow warriors fought for a country that was free of bigotry and victimisation of minorities. He would be embarrassed to see your contribution to his memory.

Wander00
23rd Feb 2010, 16:51
A brave man, and very self-deprecating. RIP

kevmusic
23rd Feb 2010, 17:02
A little tale. I was a member of the BOBHSoc when, in 2001, a trip was organised for society members and BoB pilots to visit the proposed site of the BoB memorial in the Embankment. Some of us made our way by car to a rendezvous, where we were taken on to our destination by bus.

As we navigated our way to the Embankment, the driver, a garrulous and friendly sort of chap, chatted about his favourite routes with the old geezers sitting behind him. Whether he should have gone via Victoria, or because it was early afternoon, maybe Northumberland Str.... you know the kind of thing. The old fellas, Bob Doe among them, were considerate and gentlemanly to a man, even venturing their own thoughts on best routes.

I have always wondered since if that driver knew what company he was in! (If I'd been him I would have asking all the questions!)

Very sad - a lovely modest, man. RIP

ColinB
23rd Feb 2010, 21:37
BBC News - WWI Battle of Britain flying ace dies in Sussex (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/8530303.stm)

kevmusic
23rd Feb 2010, 22:17
You'd think they'd at least get the right war. :rolleyes:

Mike7777777
24th Feb 2010, 10:52
My earlier comment (now deleted) was primarily aimed at the unbalanced media attention given to the recent demise of a fashion designer (7 "key stories" on the BBC website) who achieved very little when compared to the likes of Bob Doe (no "key stories" on the BBC website). Sign of the times..

PLovett
24th Feb 2010, 12:03
I think he was the gentleman who was interviewed for and appeared in a program about trying to emulate the WW2 training program using a dual control Spitfire.

I recall that in the final episode he was reacquainted with a Spitfire, albeit in the rear cockpit. What was so apparent was the rather steely eyed look which made me think that any Lufthansa flight inbound for London that day was going to have a hard time of it.

It is sad that people of his generation are now passing on but at least with Bob Doe we have his memories recorded and his example of service with modesty to remind us of how it should be done.

jindabyne
24th Feb 2010, 12:39
When I was on 234 Sqn at Chivenor in '69, Wg Cdr Doe paid us a visit. I well remember the occasion - he made a lasting impression. RIP Bob.