PDA

View Full Version : El Al

Self Loading Freight
8th Jun 2000, 11:35
It's my first time on this carrier next week (LHR to Tel Aviv, I think). All I know of it is its reputation for fearsome security -- any experienced pax out there got hints for getting through it with the minimum of hassles?

R

Tallbloke
8th Jun 2000, 17:56
The only time I have ever done it was not too bad, maybe I got lucky. Leaving the country however, was acompletely different issue. Took about 45 minutes to get through security checks, answering a lot of nonsense questions, and never once about 2 Saudi Arabian visas.

Be patient, calm, polite and patient.

Self Loading Freight
8th Jun 2000, 18:54
It's actually Gatwick, I discover... at 9am or thereabouts.

But I also hear there may be a general strike in Israel on Sunday and Monday, so I may not be going anyway. Still, I'll practice being patient, polite, patient and patient. I've also been told to bring only handluggage.

R

Rollingthunder
9th Jun 2000, 03:49
Don't even think about taking your Uzi back for servicing.

Squiddley
9th Jun 2000, 07:45
SLF,

If their procedures here in HKG are anything like standard, here are some things to be ready for, some, all or none of which may arise:

1) The check-in area will be cordoned-off, only ticketed pax allowed in. (After lots of questions.)
2) Be prepared to justify your trip to TLV. It's not enough to have paid for a ticket - WHY are you going? WHO are you seeing? WHERE are you staying etc.
3) Have any items like shaving cream/deodorant cans near the top of your suitcase to make it easy to produce if required. Remove batteries from any electric devise like shavers, walkman, gameboy etc.
4) If you've ever been to any middle-eastern destinations (or somesuch places) and have the stamps in your passport, be sure to remember why you went there in case they ask.
5) Don't be tempted to make even the slightest joke about the security procedures etc., as the team can be really touchy.
6) Most if not all hold baggage is put into a giant "pressure cooker" before loading, so make sure you put your toothpaste into a sandwich bag :).

Basically they're just very overt with their precautions. Practically everything is covered and it takes time, so the best advice is to show up at least 3 hours before departure to avoid the worst of the queues.

Best wishes.

The Guvnor
12th Jun 2000, 16:54
Anyway, which would you prefer to be - frayed at the edges with all the hassle, or char-grilled at the edges as you fall 35,000 feet due to some Hammas bomb having blown the aircraft out from under you?

Don't forget, Israel is still at war with several Middle Eastern states; and the death of President Assad of Syria is making everyone especially twitchy at the moment.

Make sure you leave your "I love Yasser" T Shirt at home!

------------------
:) Happiness is a warm L1011 :)

boredcounter
12th Jun 2000, 22:04
SLF
Fair play to yo for trying to check out in advance. My advice to you, smile sweet (and mean it). Security at El Al very tight for good reasons, as the Guv points out. We are not talking about the domestic NI situ of old here, El Al have real security concerns, and my vodka fuddled memory, can't think of a major for some time, so they must be on top of it. I am in the industry and would fly them anytime to anywhere, without fear of anything worse than a slot delay. Be open and honest through any questioning, it helps them, you could not begin to try and beat thier ultimate goal, coz only they know what they are looking for. (You may be able to understand it if you are a pro trick cyclist, but if not just humour them and put up with it......)
Above all. As sqiddley says, NO HUMOUR.........It might break the ice at times, but this is not one of those times.
Squiddley, ya "pressure cooker" is your best mate, please forgive it if it kills your toothpaste, very small price. If it kills all your luggage, bet on a horse, any lottery, or just find God, coz that day was the first day of the rest of you life.....
SLF, sit back, ENJOY. You are in good hands.

Self Loading Freight
15th Jun 2000, 14:46
And after all that -- it was a BA flight! Oh well... but it was a nice new 777 and J class, all terribly comfy. Bloke I sat next to on the way back said he's just given up using El Al (classic Jewish businessman who spends his life in the air) because they were unfriendly and unreliable.

Security was just plain weird. I didn't even have my passport inspected on the way out from Gatwick, and on the way back I got the full bag check and interview but with unexpected good humour. For reasons unexplained our group got VIP status and were cleared through the crew passport check, which subsequently caused a stand-up row between two security bods. And why is Tel Aviv seemingly run by teenagers on work experience? And why do the Israelis think that one toilet suffices for any public area, no matter how big? The combination of free beer and an hour's delay on the return flight led to some fine examples of active queueing.

The flights were fine, but a bit disorganised -- BA were testing out some tweaks to club class (most impressive bit: much bigger wine glasses), but ran out of landing cards and some meals. I didn't have a seatback magazine on either flight which made the inflight entertainment less than useful, but that didn't matter too much as it kept breaking down anyway. I was just in front of the wing both times, and that was the first time I could really see the curve. Wonderful. Threading our way between the thunderstorms over France was spectacular too, even if the Nigel de jour (can't remember his name -- apologies) was a member of the one-bump-and-they're-on school of seatbelt lights.

Now I just need to get the Jerusalem dust out of my hair and the Jerusalem mosquito bites out of my system...

R