PDA

View Full Version : What's happened to BA open skies?

whatdoesthisbuttondo
22nd Feb 2010, 17:23
I remember when BA were recruiting for Open Skies/project Lauren and the heated 'debate' on here regarding pilots going there to work.

BA pilots appeared to worry it would be a trojan horse into their Ts and Cs like Jetstar was for Qantas, yet it seems to only be operating 4? 757s.

Why hasn't it worked out or was it only ever intended to be a small operation?

Timothy Claypole
22nd Feb 2010, 17:25
Have you noticed there's a recession on, accompanied by a collapse in premium traffic?

The Big Easy
22nd Feb 2010, 18:34
I'm not a spotter (honest) but what is the callsign of this operation?

Ops! I did it again
22nd Feb 2010, 19:43
Mistral I believe

Dysag
22nd Feb 2010, 21:53
https://www.flyopenskies.com/home/en_us

luvly jubbly
23rd Feb 2010, 12:43
BA seem to have virtually shelved this subsidiary. The economic situation changed drastically just months after its formation, resulting in cancelled routes and the planned expansion was also cancelled.

(Wikipaedia: In February, 2009, British Airways announced that they would not transfer additional 757s to its OpenSkies subsidiary by the end of 2009, as originally planned, but instead would sell them to a third party. OpenSkies was originally to expand to six aircraft by the end of 2009, but BA said this plan had been canceled.)

Open Skies merged with L'Avion and now operates under a French AOC. I'm sure BA would not have allowed this if they had any long-term plans.

LJ

brit bus driver
28th Feb 2010, 12:19
Odd then that a new destination is soon to be added to this 'shelved' operation.

OpenSkies Blog Blog Archive Washington, D.C. here we come… (http://blog.flyopenskies.com/washington-dc-here-we-come/)

Torquelink
3rd Mar 2010, 10:03
Open Skies merged with L'Avion and now operates under a French AOC. I'm sure BA would not have allowed this if they had any long-term plans

BA own L'Avion - not much sense in having two AOCs etc.