PDA

View Full Version : Lufthansa are at it (striking) too

Final 3 Greens
22nd Feb 2010, 17:00
I notice that the LH pilots have taken a 4 day strike action.

Being scheduled to fly LHR MUC on Thursday, I am not too amused by this escapade, as I don't know if I have a problem.

LH have gone on to my watch list.

There are plenty of alternatives out there.

G-BPED
22nd Feb 2010, 21:42
F3G,

I believe that the strike has been suspended as of 19:30GMT.

Hope your trip can now take place as planned.

Regards,

G-BPED

Final 3 Greens
23rd Feb 2010, 03:41
G-BPED

Many thanks for that info, much appreciated.

F3G

PAXboy
23rd Feb 2010, 13:25
To save another thread ... this from the BBC web

Flights have been cancelled at the two main Paris airports as French air traffic controllers begin a five-day strike over job loss fears.

Half of the flights in and out of Orly airport have been cancelled, while one in four from Charles de Gaulle have also been pulled from the schedules.

Staff are protesting over a deal agreed by six nations to modernise air traffic control that they say will cut jobs. The strike is taking place during a school holiday in France. Analysts said union leaders were also hoping to put pressure on President Nicolas Sarkozy's government ahead of regional elections next month.

The deal to modernise air traffic control was recently signed by France, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and Switzerland. Under the plans, the six nations will increasingly integrate their air traffic control services.Air France says that none of its long-haul flights have been affected.

The SSK
23rd Feb 2010, 13:34
Captain Joerg Handwerg, on the BBC website (http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8528508.stm):

I don't want to say how much I earn, because it will only turn into a jealousy debate. But a Lufthansa co-pilot's salary starts at 60,000 euros [£52,000], and I am now a captain.
We earn good money, but we also have a huge responsibility.
We hold the lives of between 100 to 500 people in our hands on each flight.
If we crash, the whole company goes down.

So that’s it, then. End of story. Lufthansa, pay them whatever they ask for, because the pilots *are* Lufthansa. The company’s fate is in their hands. The other 100,000 are just their support staff.