PDA

View Full Version : Airlink advises on ‘wet’ conditions in George

four engine jock
22nd Feb 2010, 08:56
THE South African Civil Aviation Authority (SACAA) has issued a formal notice in terms of large aircraft (over 5 700kg in mass) operated by commercial airlines and their ability to land at George airport when the runways is wet, Airlink advised on February 18.

The effect of this notice is that when the runway is wet as a consequence of rain, commercial airlines will not be allowed to land at George and the airport will be closed until the runway dries out. Consequently airlines en-route to George will have no other option but to divert to an alternate or return to their point of original departure.

Airlink advises all travel agents and passengers of this limitation, which could impact passenger itineraries. The SACAA has advised that this is a temporary restriction that will remain in effect until such time that, after further testing or remedial work, the airport is again declared safe for wet operations.

Should passengers on Airlink flights to George experience a diversion because of a wet runway, Airlink will provide assistance in re-accommodating the passenger on the next available flight. Airlink will not assume responsibility for land arrangements.

The Western Cape is currently experiencing its worst drought in 132 years and therefore the probability of rain and associated flight diversions remains low in the short term, however the winter rains usually start from around early April. Therefore the programme for testing is urgent, and any work to the runway that is required by ACSA and its contractors must be completed by the time the winter rains commence.

CJ750
22nd Feb 2010, 11:10
What did CAA find on their inspection the other day that makes them send out this notice. Bet the airlines are cross. Does this also cover Part 121 charter ops as well.:8

Can someone find this notice on the CAA website at all. tried to find it but no luck.

four engine jock
22nd Feb 2010, 11:23
Load of Crap if you ask me. Just another CAA blunder!!!!!!!!
Why can’t a B737-200 land there with the runway wet! Oh sorry maybe the CAA will ground all B737 once more.

nyathi
22nd Feb 2010, 11:48
This is creating serious problems in GRJ.

Seriously pissed off pax, Eish!

spacedaddy
22nd Feb 2010, 12:38
I think the answer is for Airlink to get a VTOL aircraft!!

Der absolute Hammer
22nd Feb 2010, 13:41
The cynical eye says that closing George to all traffic when the runway is wet is the kindest way of making so sure that Airlink do not get another opportunity to land on a wet runway there.
But is the airport to be closed or just a landing ban? Presumably a Class I Notam?
If it is only a landing ban then, of course, take offs and rejected take offs are still permissible, with or without reverse thrust?

reptile
22nd Feb 2010, 16:05
If it is only a landing ban then, of the ocurse, take offs and rejected take offs are still permissible

Looks like it it includes t/o's.....SAX had a Q400 stuck in GRJ for most of the day due to a wet runway - ATC not interested in letting it out untill the runway is dry.

Romeo E.T.
22nd Feb 2010, 22:31
the Notam in question can be downloaded at this web address

http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=78490

yambat
22nd Feb 2010, 22:33
Under the grip of the grape right now, but BOLLOX if a Q400 has to get stuck at George due a wet runway!
Happy boating or flying
yambat

EladElap
23rd Feb 2010, 01:57
I was supposed to fly out to JHB yesterday to catch a connecting flight to DXB. Ended up renting a car and driving to CTown, and catching my Emirates flight from there.

Don't think it was a Q400 that was stuck there most of the day. When I was there yesterday mid morning it was a CRJ200. Anyhow, a total cock up on ACSA's part. They did surface friction testing on the runway last Monday and I gather if they had found that the runway was sufficient then the NOTAM would have been withdrawn.

Total Caos as the wet weather is expected in George till Friday!!

Der absolute Hammer
23rd Feb 2010, 08:43
B0152/10

A runway is wet when more than 25% of SFC appear reflective due to water or is covered with water.

This not even takes account of the angle of refraction in relation to light, water and prismatic lenses for the observer from the control tower whose responsibility it is to close the airport? That is three dimesnsional trigonometry/complex stuff!

Agghhhhh! So scientific! Was not the rwy certified after resurfacing? Must not have been done and that could really, really, be the reason why Airlink roll off the end?
How far can one extend the incredulity of terminal velocity?

Redsbaron
23rd Feb 2010, 14:09
Wx office says rain is down to 6km but a/c may land now. Heard that airport is open but a/c have a weight restriction. SAX prepd to (finally!) start up again but went technical.

Q4NVS
23rd Feb 2010, 18:29
SAX prepd to (finally!) start up again but went technical.

No wonder - SAX Machines are not used to sitting around on the ground...:}