PDA

View Full Version : Why is one instructor better than two?

rubberprune
21st Feb 2010, 11:11
Hi all,

I'm a newbie applying for an SPL, looking for the right school.

I have read numerous times that it is desirable to have one instructor throughout one's training, but I have not been told why this is important.

When I was learning music, I was encouraged to have lessons with as many different teachers as possible. The idea was that I may pick the best that each of them has to offer.

Why is learning to fly any different?

I have actually met with two CFIs who I get along with, and while I will have to choose one as the CFI to fill out my SPL application, I would like to take lessons with them both. One is extremely experienced, the other is younger but well connected in the aviation industry.

Is there anything wrong with this approach?

Kind regards,

r.

Whirlygig
21st Feb 2010, 11:47
Personally, I don't think so. I had three instructors for my PPL; each with their own merits (one ex-Army, one ex-RAF and one ex-Navy). I've had different instructors for a couple of ratings and another for CPL flight training.

I can see the merits for having just one instructor for the CPL but prior to that, I'd get as much from each person as you can and make as many contacts.

Cheers

Whirls

PS - I'm also a musician - does that have a bearing?

mad_jock
21st Feb 2010, 12:05
Two is not a problem at all.

In fact its a good thing.

I don't know to much about the Oz system but presume its similar to the UK with the 2 phases Handling and NAV.

Personally I would use the same one to get you up to Circuit's. Then use the other one for NAV.

Then during you build up to skills test use both of them

miket_68
21st Feb 2010, 12:06
Just checked my log book.

PPL - 5 instructors
R44 TR 2 - instructors
R22 TR 3 - Instructors

4 schools and only 100 hours.

I think the experience has made me a better pilot, for 100 hours anyway.

Rather than picking up 1 instructors bad habits I have 10 !!

Cheers

RMarvin86
21st Feb 2010, 12:37
I don't think you should stick to one instructor throughout your training.
I did change some schools and flew with different instructors and I'm really happy as I did manage to get the best out of them and compare the worst. Even if they teach people they can have bad flying habits as wel as poor teaching methods and you won't be able to recognize it till you have tried more than a couple.
Probably one good thing is to fly with one instructor till you go solo. That was the standard at one of the schools I went to. After your first solo you can decide to fly with more instructors and if after a while you're really happy with one in particular then stick to it all the way if you like.

SkyCamMK
21st Feb 2010, 16:22
You may be fortunate and get the ideal one for you first time out. This is by no means certain. Consider that your learning style would be matched to a teaching style for best skills transfer. Remember when at school you might say something like "Sorry, I do not understand" and the teacher then says and does everything again in exactly the same way except perhaps louder and sarcasticly! No learning takes place - time to get another teacher with a different skill set that can explain or demonstrate in a different way. There is no one best way but there may be a one best way for yourself.

Generally you will learn different skills from diffferent people or perhaps just get a better understanding of the same skills by having another approach.

Main thing is get prepared and enjoy soaking up what you can from all you can...

DA-10mm
22nd Feb 2010, 04:14
if your instructor has his $hIt straight, keep him throughout your training, as he'll be a precious commodity.
i've taken over many a frustrated student's training, over the years, only because they were disappointed with their progress...guess what? their previous instructor sucked.
some of us get it, some don't.
some of us enjoy furthering the craft, not just building time, only because we see the big picture.
i've taken many from zero-hour through ATP, while making them a CFI in the interim.
from personal experience: my private pilot instructor sucked. looking back now, all he had in mind was his next job.

next instructor: IR-A through beginings of FI...taught me to simplify those subject areas that i would eventually have to teach. the most valuable instruction i've ever recieved, hands down.

remindinds of my "official" FI instructor: had his next career move inside of his horse-blinders...guess what? HE SUCKED.

i promised myself i would never end like him, no matter how far i got.