PDA

View Full Version : Download of AVG 9 fails

Dan Gerous
21st Feb 2010, 10:07
I'm on dial up and am trying to download the update for AVG anti virus free, but it is going to take over 6 hours to download, and the connection to the avg server is cut after 2 hours. I have tried to do this on 3 occasions now. Any tips/ideas on how to get this done?
Danny

tony draper
21st Feb 2010, 10:29
In the days of dial up I had a download manager that would continue the download of the file from where it left off if the connection was broken after it was reconnected,sorry can't remember what it was called now.
Very handy for downloading large files on dialup
Must still be summat similar somewhere out there still.

BOAC
21st Feb 2010, 10:32
At around 50 or more MB I can't think of a way on dial-up - suggest you stick with whatever AVG you have at the moment and get someone on b/band to put AVG 9 on a USB stick?

Bushfiva
21st Feb 2010, 10:42
Microsoft Security Essentials is around 4.5 MB. It works fine.

BOAC
21st Feb 2010, 11:41
You are endorsing a M$ 'security' product.........?:eek: (:))

A A Gruntpuddock
21st Feb 2010, 11:46
Just Google 'Download manager' and you will get lotsa hits.

labrador pup
21st Feb 2010, 22:02
Is this an improved version of AVG 9? I downloaded it a few months ago when it first came out but had to remove it and restore my computer as AVG completely mucked it up. Eventually was able to get version 8.5 and things are now working OK, but now getting notices again about upgrading to 9. I am understandably wary of doing this and wonder how long they will support earlier versions.

henry crun
22nd Feb 2010, 08:33
I am on a dialup and downloaded AVG 9 late last year without any problems, it took several hours but it came through without interruption.
It has been trouble free.