PDA

View Full Version : Airline choice?

Vortex Wake
20th May 2000, 22:50
Whenever you fly you are thanked for choosing that airline,but does anybody have a 'choice'. Are you flying from the closest airport or making a lenthy journey to travel with a cheap operator,or using an airline because only they fly to your destination?

FlyingV
21st May 2000, 04:30
Yes, I'm always amused by the thank you message.

For private trips, its usually the cheapest flight (often chosen by the travel agent) and on business trips I don't know who I'm travelling with until I get the ticket.

The only people I can think of who actually choose an airline are those with more money than sense (personal and corporate). Unless, of course, you REALLY want the set of golf balls in a particular carriers frequent flyer gift brochure ;)

PS. VW, I, too, do not wear an anorak.
Nor do I own a scanner, binoculars or a Thermos flask. :)

Regards,
V.

[This message has been edited by FlyingV (edited 21 May 2000).]

[This message has been edited by FlyingV (edited 21 May 2000).]

ExSimGuy
21st May 2000, 10:56
the last "choice" I had was:-
no drinking ID75 on SV
or
no smoking ID90 with Nigel
(I decided I could manage without the cigarettes!)

Herod
23rd May 2000, 13:37
There's a good reason for the "thank you" at the end of the flight (I my case from the flightdeck). Whether they had a choice or not, the people sitting in the passenger seats are the ones paying my wages. And long may they continue to do so !!

Hotel Tango
23rd May 2000, 22:22
It started years ago in the States, long before deregulation, Frequent Flyer Programs etc., when passengers did have a choice of major carriers between major cities paying roughly the same fare. The only criteria in those days was SERVICE. Today most of you chaps up front suggest that we sit back, relax and enjoy the service! What service? Oh sorry, you mean the sandwich box thrown at me!

VelvetStrokes
23rd May 2000, 23:08
Well chaps, I have to say that I fly quite a bit, especially on Midland - the company's choice it is true.

However, I have nearly always been treated with courtesy by the cabin staff. Due to a dietary requirement, I have special meals, which the catering do not always understand. Yes, I need copious amounts of alcohol in/with my meal. Seriously, the FAs have done their best to rectify the deficiency, getting extra fruit or rolls, without making me feel I'm being a nuisance.

They are usually very pleasant to deal with, apart from one or two odd bods. So yes, I would and have flown BD, even when I pay.

And yes, I have flown frequently with several other airlines that fly out from UK to wherever both longhaul and shorthaul.

I've had good and bad flights on major airlines; and chaps the good outweighs the bad. And I have to say, it's the staff that makes the difference, that includes the flight crew who get me there safely, the FAs who make or break the journey with their attitudes, the check in and other staff. All these determine which airline I fly with, and in the end, as I control / influence my travel budget, who I and 600 of my staff / colleagues fly with too.

------------------
Stroke me and I purr rrrrrr

but remember I have claws as well