PDA

View Full Version : Searching for ATPL provider - What questions to ask?

flying_shortly
20th Feb 2010, 11:35
Hi,

I'm searching around for an ATPL provider. Given that one of the ATPL providers has gone bust I've decided to visit some ATPL oganisations. My question to you is what questions should I be asking to get a good idea of the quality and indeed the financial state of the company?

I'm looking at Bristol, Cranfield and Bournemouth.

I'm edging towards the Cranfield distance online course. Any opinions from past students?

Thanks for all advice in advance!

colette
20th Feb 2010, 13:45
I'm with Cranfield at the moment (11 exams down and 3 to go) and can't recommend them highly enough. This question was asked just a few weeks ago so might be an idea to have a search. The reasons I went with Cranfield include them being half the cost of other training providers, the flexibility with being able to take the 3 modules in whatever order suits you best (even to add or drop subjects from other modules into your current one) and the 3 x 1 week brush up courses fitted in with my schedule better.

Feel free to pm if anymore questions.

fly_antonov
20th Feb 2010, 17:35
Questions to ask:

How much? including every single detail of the cost.
Can I choose my instructor?
Can I see the airplanes?
Can I "jumpseat" during instruction of another student to pick my instructor?
Can I attend running ATPL classes (randomly)?
Can I see the schedule of the airplanes and instructors?

The most important question and one that most schools will hate you for:
1. How many attended the former course?
2. Did you have any problems with any of them?
So far so good but here comes the bomb:
3. Can I have a list of contact details of all of these students? Why not? Privacy?
Then say "You can contact the students regarding me potentially calling them. I' m not paying 50K until you give me the contact details."

If they are honest, they will give you a list.

Am I overdoing it? No, not at all.
You have the right to ask these questions. After all, it' s a job interview for the flight school. You are the one who is going to pick a flight school and not them who are going to pick a student pilot. You are the one who chooses which flight school you will employ for your flight training.

The questions that your potential airline employers will ask you later on during job interviews will be alot tougher. Many people come out of the interview room with a pair of big red watery eyes.

So why should you even think twice before asking these questions?

punk666
20th Feb 2010, 18:39
Fly_Antonov

You should take a look again at the question again. The poster is asking about the ATPL ground schooL...NO FLYING IS INVOLVED, just written exams.

You should ask 'Do you have to pay for the exams or is it included in the cost of the course?' for example

I would want to take a look at the material being issued for the course, whats their pass percentage rate, possible history of the instructors being used.

Theres only one good thing you said from your post that was a good idea and that was 'Can I sit in a class lesson' that way you can see the class environment and how the subjects are taught.

Sorry if my post sounds rude but seeing from your other posts you dont know alot.

fly_antonov
20th Feb 2010, 20:08
I assumed that by ATPL provider he meant the full fATPL, not only the ground school. :ok:

The advice still stands, also for the rest of his training.

mcgoo
20th Feb 2010, 20:28
If they stayed in a flight school for a full ATPL it would be very expensive!

flying_shortly
21st Feb 2010, 11:12
That's one of the questions I was going to ask about was the question bank at CATS. Is it any use? And if I were to use Bristol what kind of costs am I looking at for use to the question bank alone?

Thanks again!

Lightning Mate
21st Feb 2010, 16:36
Would you care to put that in English..............???? :ugh::ugh:

madlandrover
21st Feb 2010, 21:59
Just a bit excessive? Yes, this isn't a spelling/grammar forum - but it is still a place where you give an impression of yourself. You should also bear in mind that not everyone looking for advice on this forum has English as a first language. Oddly enough, it didn't take me any longer to write that than it would have done if I'd hit random letters for much of it...