PDA

View Full Version : UK Flight Training from unlicensed sites in April 2010.

TOT
20th Feb 2010, 07:28
Letter of Intent - Flight Training at Unlicensed Aerodromes | Consultations and Letters of Intent | CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1350&pagetype=90&pageid=11200)

HillerBee
20th Feb 2010, 08:34
Good news, will Ireland follow?

chopjock
20th Feb 2010, 12:50
What?:eek: the CAA actually doing something to help aviation for once. :ok:

helimutt
20th Feb 2010, 15:38
That is good news. Should help reduce training costs etc. Just wish this had been in force a couple of years ago when i wanted to instruct on helicopters out of my local gliding site. They said no problem, had the ac all ready, but, it was an unlicensed site so it made it impossible to get the costs to work out.

Oh well. I can see people setting up RTF's and leasing R22's. :E

Hughes500
20th Feb 2010, 17:43
It says unlicensed aerodromes not sites ! Interesting what the CAA definition will be for rotary wing ?

helimutt
20th Feb 2010, 19:57
Surely things like gliding sites are considered Aerodromes??? Another anomoly to be worked out and questioned then?

vee_why
20th Feb 2010, 21:45
CAA definition of an aerodrome....(CAP 168 - Licensing of Aerodromes)

'A defined area on land or water (including any buildings,installations and equipment) intended to be used either wholly or in part for the arrival, departure or surface movement of aircraft.'

kevin_mayes
21st Feb 2010, 09:36
Hmm, that could be my back garden... there must be a better definition than that?
Kev.

Helinut
21st Feb 2010, 10:22
A welcome step forward BUT the rule book on standards has not been thrown away entirely. The instructor/school will still need to assure themselves that various things are in place.

chopjock
21st Feb 2010, 12:04
The instructor/school will still need to assure themselves that various things are in place.
A safe operating area and a classroom perhaps? What else is needed for rotory training? :)

Helinut
21st Feb 2010, 21:58
The short answer is CAP 428

chopjock
21st Feb 2010, 22:33
Cap 423 states...The aim of this document is to provide guidance and advice on setting up and operating an unlicensed aerodrome. Its contents are not mandatoryHughes500 It says unlicensed aerodromes not sites ! Interesting what the CAA definition will be for rotary wing ? Annex C states:

Helicopter Landing Sites (HLS) are unlicensed aerodromes, which are used
exclusively by helicopters. Thus a private site in a field to the rear of a domestic
property is an aerodrome whilst a helicopter is using it. The content of this CAP
therefore applies to such HLS.

I'm rather hoping I shall be able to do all my further training at my own site in the near future.:)

DennisK
22nd Feb 2010, 22:11
Yes ... all great news, especially since the CAA spent £6,000 prosecuting me for a training landing in the owner's heli at his own unlicenced helipad.

Then there's the rollover accident by a PPL MD owner at his own property. not having had the benefit of a practice landing with an instructor. Makes me wonder lots!

Dennis K.

Hughes500
23rd Feb 2010, 07:24
Dennis

I wouldnt waste any time wondering about that sort of thing, life is too short:ok: