PDA

View Full Version : to Qantas crew: F and J meal preperation

Jackbr
20th Feb 2010, 02:54
have flown J class on Qantas a few times, domestic and international, and one trip in F on a 744 SYD-LAX, and am curious to know how the meals in these classes are prepared (I know in economy they put them in the oven and that's about it)

For example, I have had Beef Fillets, Salmon Steak, and what SEEMS to be pretty good scrambled eggs, and assume that there is some degree of preperation onboard by the crew, eg a skillet or grill?

flitegirl
20th Feb 2010, 03:25
It's a bit of smoke and mirrors, Jack. All the components of the meal eg. meat, sauce, carbohydrate, garnish, vegetables, etc etc. are heated in the oven as separate components (or sometimes blanched in boiling water) or served cold if that is the case. It is then put together on the plate by the skilful galley operator. I think a lot of international airlines do similar things in one way or another for P and J class.

The eggs come uncooked but premixed and are cooked in a special tray in the oven also. (good timing is required :ok:)

lynn789
28th Feb 2010, 21:54
I thought all food was cooked and prepared on the ground and then reheated on the plane in microwave ovens