PDA

View Full Version : Indian internal flights

Self Loading Freight
27th Apr 2000, 04:53
I'm thinking of popping over to Madhya Pradesh in the autumn and peering at some temples (and why not). I imagine the cheapest option will be LHR-BOM then zoom into the interior, and it looks like SwissAir (of all people) have some £400 fares for the first leg.

What then? I've absolutely no experience of local carriers over there, and while I doubt things fall out of the sky enough to worry about I'd appreciate any Things A Man Should Know while flying down in, down in, down in Indi-ya...

R

Rollingthunder
27th Apr 2000, 05:16
Have you considered Indian Railways?

ExSimGuy
27th Apr 2000, 10:05
According to my route-planner, there looks to be a possibility of flights from Bombay via Nagpur and Jabalpur. (BOM-NAG-JLR) Biggest question in my mind would be if they're operated by C-130s, Stretched DC-3s, or something decent like Lockheed Electras! Anyone out there in PPRuNe-land know the area (come on lads, you've been awake over there for 5 hours by now!) http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

RollingThunder,

Nice thought - but from the stories I hear coming out of the "Sub-Continent", the problem there is that it is very crowded sitting on the roof and the trolley-dollies can't get the drinks carts through http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

------------------------------------------
**SLF do it with a scotch in one hand and a beer in the other**

Rollingthunder
27th Apr 2000, 17:48
Indian Airlines has an extensive internal network. Operates A300, A320, B737.
Airports can be as chaotic as railway stations. check out... www.indian-airlines.nic.in/ (http://www.indian-airlines.nic.in/)

aristotle
27th Apr 2000, 18:23
I **highly** recommend Jet Airways for travel within India. Their prices are very competitive as compared to Indian Airlines, and they are worlds ahead in terms of service, on-time performance, treating you with respect, flexibility, agreements with international carriers.....the list goes on and on.

Have a look at http://www.jetairways.com

------------------
A tyrant is feared in life and hated in death.

Self Loading Freight
28th Apr 2000, 04:46
Thanks, all.

Jet Airways seems truly wonderful (although I haven't quite worked out how to get from Mumbai to Khajuraho yet. I suppose I should just go to an agent, but I've never quite learned to trust them).

Any menu which includes Low Residue, Bland, Gastric Meal (tell it like it is) and Strict Vegetarian Meal (excludes onion and garlic. I guess I've got a bit to learn about Indian dietary habits) is going to get my vote, even if I'm going to plump for High Residue, Recently Deceased Animal, Spicy, Stomach Lining At Risk. And all their pilots are experienced, and their 737 fleet is the newest in the world, which sounds just fine by me...

R

Mycroft
13th May 2000, 13:28
Just checked their meals due to SLF's post am am quite intrigued by the conflict between their religious policy (no beef or pork is served) and their Children's Menu (kiddies favourites like hamburgers)

invalid entry
13th May 2000, 16:15
Hi,
I have taken several jump seat trips on Indian Airlines and find them friendly and safe. Don't be afraid to fly with them.

no sig
14th May 2000, 17:22
SLF

Rolling Thunder is right to suggest the railways. Although air travel can be ok internally, it can also be down right frightening, with respect to some Indian carriers, and I speak from considerable expereince.

If you are visiting India, the ONLY way to expereince it is by rail if you have the time. Frustrating?, Yes?, Slow? Yes But if you can adjust your frame of mind to it then go by rail. Truly, you'll get a feel for how wonderful a place it is.

Self Loading Freight
19th May 2000, 08:15
No Sig: yes, this is what I hear. I think it's probably worth making the time for that...

R

Flybywyre
20th May 2000, 18:11
SLF.........................

The trains are not too bad at all, couple of things you need to know.

1.Ideally use an Indian (if you know one) to book and pay for your train ticket. If you do have to do it for yourself you will succeed in the end but you will require a few beers afterwards to calm yourself down and get the blood pressure back within limits.
2.If there is one, book the first class air conditioned carriage. Only a few pounds more (and still very cheap) but it will make the journey reasonably comfortable and usually includes refreshments.

Oh, I nearly forgot. Be wary of any Taxis at the station. You can sometimes (at larger stations) find a police operated Taxi office
Where you pay first. Use these if possible.

Anyway, have fun!
FBW

Self Loading Freight
22nd May 2000, 03:07
Fly--

Yeah, I've been doing my research. "You are fair game for being ripped off. But since you've just flown in on a ticket that's close to the annual income for many of the people who're offering you a service, don't feel too bad about it".

R

Flybywyre
24th May 2000, 02:57
SLF..............

A fair comment.
I must say I am allways aware of what you have mentioned and I allow some discretion as to how much of a liberty I allow them to take.

Cheers
FBW