PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the decision

The Sleeping Pax
20th Apr 2000, 10:34
Recently on a Gulf flight and on a THAI flight I was bumped upto 1st from Business after being seated. : :): I was wondering who made the decision and who to be nice to so it happens more often? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

Wake me up when we get there.

[This message has been edited by The Sleeping Pax (edited 20 April 2000).]

Self Loading Freight
20th Apr 2000, 11:01
Ah yes, upgrades. Is there any word more sweet, any blessing more eagerly accepted, than a bump up to the front just before eleven hours incarceration while someone changes the scenery outside from LHR to LAX?

It doesn't happen much, does it? I wish, I wish I knew the magic formula -- but the last time I read anything about it, the old smart suit and winning smile approach was damned as thoroughly outmoded. And I've never had the honour after being shown to my cell for the night. For a brief yet memorable period, Virgin seemed to have a policy of pushing people into Upper if the space was there -- I suspect it was a promotion -- but I've had no luck for a couple of years now.

I harbour the faintest of hopes that one day, the secret Prune Handshake will come into play and every little jaunt will turn into a pampered paroxysm of pleasure.

Yrs, in the cheap seats,
R

SLC
20th Apr 2000, 12:27
Good question, I'd like to know the answer to that one.

Pom Pax
20th Apr 2000, 14:29
My eldest daughter often has violent nose bleeds after take off, this seems to work.
Unfortunately for her the noses bleeds are involentary so when she needs an upgrade ... no nose bleed.

tracy
20th Apr 2000, 16:11
from my experience the check-in people can do it if the flight is overbooked and you've paid a slightly higher fare for the same class of service..to accommodate more passengers they can upgrade you to the next class of service. if you're a traveling cattle class but are a member of the airline's business class club they can upgrade you too. the whole area of upgrades seems to be a 'gray' one!
i think the pilots also have some authority to do so, but i'm not sure. what do the pilots here say?

Kaptin M
20th Apr 2000, 16:25
You're one of the privileged few, TSP. Understandably, pax who have paid [a lot] extra for that Business or First Class seat, are going to be slightly peeved, when an EY pax is moved up. I'm sure you'd agree with, and understand, that sentiment.

As one who gets the opportunity to observe who draws the lucky straw, allow me to disclose some findings.

Aircrew on leave, and travelling on an EY ticket, are usually put as far back as possible, and if the flights are fully booked, no effort is spared in trying to split our families.

Next, the passengers who have requested specific seating, eg. exit rows [for the extra leg room], aisle or window seats...I'd take aisle every time, given a choice....are accomodated.

Then, the friends [or friends of friends], or family, of the Traffic staff. They seem to be the ones most likely to get an upgrade, although I understand that the airline companies are tightening up in this area.

In reality, I believe it is supposed to be the frequent flyers, and in fairness, that is who should go up.

As far as I'm aware with most airlines, any upgrades, after seat allocation, have to be reported to, approved, and noted by the Purser/IFS.

Good for you, if you happen to score it.

Self Loading Freight
20th Apr 2000, 17:59
Kaptin...

The feelings of full-price paid pax are never far from my mind... actually, that sounds sarcastic, but it isn't. It must be irksome to see some unshaven, hungover lout stretch out in 4A while tossing the grotty headphones he'd carried up from Y class into the aisle, but then how many people there have paid their own fare anyway?

Because of my job, I travel in various classes anyway (nowhere near often enough up front, of course) depending on factors beyond my control -- and I always look and dress, and behave, the same. Even when I am in the posh seats on a fully paid ticket, it's neither my company nor me wot's paid for it (but it is me wot gets the frequent flier points -- yay for that).

To tell the truth, I get off so much on being airborne the difference in enjoyment between front and back isn't something I spend too much time worrying about. As long as I get a window seat.

Incidentally, a useful bit of info I'd treasure is knowing which flights are going to be empty, especially long-haul. I'd happily delay my return from the US for a day if I knew that there was a decent chance of getting a whole row to kip down on overnight. The couple of times I've managed that trick have been the only times I've avoided the dreaded lag altogether.

R

------------------
"...or we'll be up here all day..."

Rollingthunder
20th Apr 2000, 21:46
SLF,

We all try to not operate aircraft empty or even close to. Typically a good way of going out of business.Some flights however are more lightly booked than others (depending on route and season). If your ticketing allows you some flexibility, try talking to Res, very politely,asking them what the loads are like on a couple or three different flights.Bear in mind that loads can sometimes change dramatically between the phone call and the gate.

SLC
22nd Apr 2000, 11:26
On QF the CSM is king/queen, suck up to them if you want to try for an upgrade, pilots don't have any say in it now.
Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

ExSimGuy
22nd Apr 2000, 17:30
It was some years ago that GF intercepted me as I was about to board at LHR and the nice lady scribbled a new seat number on my boarding pass mumbling something about "need to change your seat sir", and wrote a much lower row number on it. I was quite smartly dressed (a habit from ny BA ID90 days) but there was no other indication why - I did not ask!

I have also noticed recently that, when travelling on the "little ones with two props", that I almost always get those "nice leg-room seats" beside the doors - even when I am travelling full fare and not courtesy of ID90s or 75s due to my daughter now being "in the business" (and hence no indication that I might already be quite familiar with the "red handle" bits).

I must look particularly "able-bodied" despite being a fag-smoking 50-year old (ish!)

------------------
Flight Sims, very expensive toys - but real fun to play with!

Kaptin M
23rd Apr 2000, 03:23
You're right about the attire, ESG, being smartly dressed should [unless those relatives/friends of the Traffic staff are also on the same flight] make one a front contender for an upgrade. Makes me cringe to see some of the Australian pax's clothes...literally, shorts, tee-shirt and thongs [the term "yobbo" comes to mind...and I'm not a stuff shirt].

So, if you want a shot, make sure you're dressed for the occasion. No need to wear a full suit, however a tie [which you can take off later] on check would be a good start.

But be warned, when/if you get to first class, expect the full fares to be in jeans and casual shoes.

half a monte
23rd Apr 2000, 11:52
Kaptin M -

How true about being smartly dressed. This in fact has worked for me a few times- of course chosing full flights may just have something to do with it!!

As an ex airline employee had authority to UGSA many industry people. If the airport rang with a pax who had inappropriate attire, (ie like one industry male who turned up with the gorgeous full length golf socks, and shorts, never polished shoes, tightly stretched stained shirt and jacket - 2 sizes small - for BUSINESS CLASS!! - hmmmmmmmmm somehow I think not!! - he experienced a downgrade!!

Oh just love cracking that whip!!!
:)

[This message has been edited by half a monte (edited 23 April 2000).]

AP
2nd May 2000, 01:50
Well actually, I was recently flying to Islamabad from London on PIA and was upgraded to First class from economy, the reason being that the airline had overbooked,and now had run out of economy seats on the 747, unfortunately my aunt got the last seat in economy while my mum and sister were sent to business class, we were also one of the last ones to check in, so i guess that's one way of being upgraded, i wasn't complaining i had a fab time!