PDA

View Full Version : 03L Landings at OR Tambo explained.

EltorroLoco
19th Feb 2010, 00:48
It appears that recently some big-wigs in a meeting had some stats for their airlines complaining how others were landing on 03L more than they were. Let's go through how the runway allocation works.

Firstly it's the amount of tubes starting and going to need it for departure.
Secondly it's the state of the Tower controller's uterus, and I'm not going to expand on that, period.

So let's assume that there's only 3 starting and it's not all doom and gloom in the womb. Next it's aircraft type.

The international heavies get next pick since it's a short taxi to the Delta, Echo and Foxtrot aprons. This isn't favouritism, we don't get rebates from any airline. It's to help minimise the conficts on the Ground freq, because that's where the least experience is likely to be. I must add that if an ATC is on board we try very hard to give them shorter routings and 03L.

Next it's how many are inbound. Approach will try to give about 7 miles on final for 03L so that the 03R landings can cross 03L and the odd departure can also have a go with minimal delay. The arrivals parking in Charlie ramp will most likely land on 03R since the taxi distance from Echo on 03R and Hotel on 03L are about the same and they can be inbetween the 03L landings.

Next, the 4 or so pilots whose heads are small enough and lives big enough for us to have a personal relatinship. If it's a fifty-fifty, they can have a go.

So that explains how it works. If none of thee categories happen to include you, sorry for that. Keep complaining, then everyone can land 03R children, the fees remain the same.

Shrike200
19th Feb 2010, 10:56
Right, Left, it's all good! I'm just happy when there isn't a rainshower/thunderstorm on final approach - whats another 4 minutes in my logbook? :) Thanks for the info though, that's good to know.

mainbearing
19th Feb 2010, 12:41
And of cause don,t forget if there is scattered cloud over Welkom, that really could change everything.

birrddog
19th Feb 2010, 18:34
Runways? Pah! Who needs stinking runways....

On the other hand, a pad near the terminal would be nice.

EltorroLoco, you able to hook a buddy up with a closer LZ? :p

transducer
22nd Feb 2010, 05:33
03 Link and 03 Rest of us! Rebates and flat out to 3 miles help!