PDA

View Full Version : When will we see NAIPS for mac??

TSIO540
19th Feb 2010, 00:36
I think that in this modern society we should get a version of NAIPS to use on Mac! Does anyone know of plans to develop it? does anyone have the know how to develop it?

bentleg
19th Feb 2010, 02:07
Why bother? You can get NAIPS over the internet.

blueloo
19th Feb 2010, 02:08
I think it does support Winblows 7

Boot Camp: Windows 7 installation frequently asked questions (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3986)

compressor stall
19th Feb 2010, 02:25
Run it via parallels / fusion. Not a problem, though admittedly I rarely use it these days as there's no ATC around here...

Parallels on mac works well for Windoze based CBT software.

ForkTailedDrKiller
19th Feb 2010, 02:39
I think that in this modern society we should get a version of NAIPS to use on Mac!

Why? :E

Dr :8

compressor stall
19th Feb 2010, 02:45
Because if we all used macs, IT businesses would have sod all to do. :E

DH 200'
19th Feb 2010, 03:00
I have recently upgraded to a 64-bit version of Windows 7 where NAIPS isn't supported. A recent email I received from AA which may be of interest:
Airservices Australia is not intending to update or develop NAIPS for Windows beyond the current version as a project has commenced that may completely replace both the existing pilot Briefing Web site and the NAIPS for Windows software into a totally internet based tool. At this stage, we are hopeful of delivery in late 2010 of this new site.
We will continue to monitor the situation and the progression of the replacement project and changes to the NAIPS for Windows product might become necessary should problems be encountered.

bentleg
19th Feb 2010, 03:55
Surely a MAC can acces the internet? NAIPS is available there.

Unhinged
19th Feb 2010, 05:15
Yep, but the internet version is a crock compared to the windoze programme - Try fixing a mistake or adding a new sector in the internet version http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gif

Not all of us have Macs with Intel processors, so Parallels/Fusion/Bootcamp et al, aren't options. Hard to justify replacing a perfectly good PBG4 that doesn't skip a beat simply to run one piece of software - no matter how much I'd like to !

This will just go down as another programme long promised and never delivered ...

AussieNick
19th Feb 2010, 05:39
Argh Mac! Kill It!!!! Kill It!!!!!! :e

Ultralights
19th Feb 2010, 05:39
how will the naips update in late 2010 effect computerised flight planners such as airnav and champaign ?

Chu Mai Huang
19th Feb 2010, 06:32
Geeze you lot are slow... what do you think NAIPS stands for??
"Not Actually Intended to Provide a Service"

Capt Claret
19th Feb 2010, 11:05
Airservices Australia is not intending to update or develop NAIPS for Windows beyond the current version

I had an email from the IT guru at NAIPS and he told me that there will be a version of NAIPS for Mac early this year

Now, the question is, which is the left hand, and which the right, and, do either know what's going on? (Query re Airservices not the poster's.)

romeocharlie
19th Feb 2010, 11:27
Jeppview on an iPad, now there's a thought? Will it happen though? :ugh::ugh:

blueloo
19th Feb 2010, 11:30
How bout a full Garmin aviation GPS on an ipad.......

triadic
19th Feb 2010, 23:16
NAIPS works well on the iPhone.... wonderful app!:ok:

gutso-blundo
19th Feb 2010, 23:27
NAIPS works well on the iPhone.... wonderful app!

I'll second that!

Unhinged
6th Jun 2010, 13:56
Aaaaargh ... having lived with the poxy browser version forever because I use Macs, I just got a netbook with Windoze 7 Home Premium. But does the NAIPS programme run on it ? Not on your nelly.

How can they call all 7 different operating systems "Windows", and the same basic stuff doesn't even run on them ? It's not like NAIPS is a sophistcated programme !

Poxy Windows, poxy naips :-(((

Square Bear
7th Jun 2010, 00:11
Apple doesn't help things by not having Bootcamp ready for Windows 7 yet

Have bootcamped my mac, run windows 7 perfectly fine. Windows based CBT's, Jeppview, Flight Sim all work.

Have not tried NAIPS though.

compressor stall
7th Jun 2010, 00:15
If that's the case unhinged, I'd say that NAIPS is 32 bit. Windoze 7 and Snow Leopard are 64 bit.

Homesick-Angel
7th Jun 2010, 02:56
Iphone or Ipad App..Works well enough..

Unhinged
7th Jun 2010, 07:03
Yeah Stally, I reckon you're right. I see that the top version of Win 7 has a compatibility mode, but I'm bloody cautious about parting with more money without being confident that it'd work.

I'd been thinking that having a Windows machine in the house would let me use the programme version of NAIPS (which I much prefer to the web version). So it's really just the disappointment that things didn't work out - it didn't seem like a particularly demanding expectation at the time !

Might have to splash some coin on one of the commercial flight planning programmes ... Time to hit the search function and see what people like !!

ForkTailedDrKiller
7th Jun 2010, 07:59
I can't get NAIPS to run in Windows 7!

manymak
7th Jun 2010, 08:08
I can't get NAIPS to run in Windows 7!

FTDK,

I am using a 32bit version of Windows 7 which was an 'upgrade' disc from Vista. Is your version a patched upgrade from Vista or a standalone version of W7?

NAIPS works fine for me on my Windows 7 system.

compressor stall
7th Jun 2010, 08:49
From 32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows-vista/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions)

Can I run 32-bit programs on a 64-bit computer?
Most programs designed for the 32-bit version of Windows will work on the 64-bit version of Windows. Notable exceptions are many antivirus programs.

More links from there. If you reinstall W7 in 32 bit (would mean reformatting and starting again) you'll be fine. And if you buy W7 to install virtually on your mac, install the 32 bit version for this eventuality.

FWIW - JeppView is 32 bit.

Case Sensitive
7th Jun 2010, 09:33
Not sure about windows 7 but I am running 64bit vista and ran into the same problem with NAIPS not wanting to install under a 64bit OS. I got around it by simply copying the program files from my old computer directly into the program files on my new computer. Created a short cut to it and it works perfectly. The other option is to simply run it off a thumb drive in exactly the same manner as above. Works well especially when you don't take your laptop away with you as it saves aircraft, plans etc etc.

All the best, let me know how it goes with 7 if you try it as I'll probably upgrade shortly.

ForkTailedDrKiller
7th Jun 2010, 09:34
My Lenovo X200 notebook came with Windows 7 installed. It won't run NAIPS.

Fortunately I have more than one puter!

Yeah, I know - you all find that hard to believe - but its true! :E

Timocracy
7th Jun 2010, 12:13
Haha,

"Naips for windows" doesn't work on windows 7 but runs perfectly in Ubuntu (linux)

Unhinged
7th Jun 2010, 23:58
My netbook came with Windows 7 64-bit, so I'm not sure there's any way to reinstall in 32-bit mode, but it's all good now ...

I installed NAIPS on a Win XP machine (actually Virtual PC :-). Then copied the complete NAIPS directory from the Program Files directory on there, to the Program Files(x86) directory on my new confuser. Created a link to the desktop, and away it all goes.

I didn't touch the Registry, or do anything with .dll files other than the ones that came across when I copied the NAIPS directory. I don't know why I put it in Program Files (x86) rather than the straight Program Files directory, I just did.

So it seems that the programme itself will run ok on Windows 7 64-bit, even though the installation only runs on a 32-bit system.

Thanks to everyone for the good teamwork :-)

grl22
23rd Aug 2010, 00:47
NAIPS works fine on Windows 7 32 bit, however not on the 64 bit version.
The workaround is to install the Windows XP virtual machine and run it on that. Works like a dream. When you click the icon it launches the virtual PC and runs NAIPS.
I have several PCs running like that.

Problem solved for Windows 7/64 bit.

Peter Fanelli
23rd Aug 2010, 01:52

Yeah, I know - you all find that hard to believe - but its true!

How is it that you can possibly be content with only one engine?

Charlie Foxtrot India
23rd Aug 2010, 02:43
Use the iPhone app now as I can't get it to work on Windows 7 either.

Unhinged
23rd Aug 2010, 07:42
NAIPS works fine on Windows 7 32 bit, however not on the 64 bit version.

Not true, sorry.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, NAIPS works fine natively on 64-bit Windows 7. The NAIPS Installer doesn't work on 64-bit systems, but that is a separate and irrelevant matter.

All you need to do is copy the NAIPS directory from where it has installed on a Win32 system to wherever you'd like it on a Win7-64 machine. Then make whatever useful links you want and launch from there.

You do not need to install virtual machine or any other bloatware, nor shag around with the registry or anything else. Just copy the NAIPS directory and make a couple of links. That's all.

Van Gough
23rd Aug 2010, 07:49
My Lenovo X200 notebook came with Windows 7 installed. It won't run NAIPS.

Yeah, I know - you all find that hard to believe - but its true! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

I believe you - I have a netbook less than 1 WEEK old with windows 7 and guess what? Already crashing/freezing up/error messages...oh for an Apple Mac.....:ok:

CaptWEJohns
23rd Aug 2010, 23:41
There is a jeppview app for the iPad. Try the jeppesen website. I have it on my iPad.

compressor stall
24th Aug 2010, 01:15
CaptWEJohns,

What licence does it use? i.e. I have a Jeppview licence on my computer, does the Jeppview app just use the same licence serial number or do you need another one?
And if so, do you know how many iPads can feed off the one computer's Jeppview licence?

Capn Bloggs
24th Aug 2010, 15:04
Just copy the NAIPS directory and make a couple of links. That's all.
I do this to run NAIPS off my thumbdrive. :ok:

Capt Claret
25th Aug 2010, 01:59
G'day Stallie,

iPad Jeppview App uses same Licence No as computer version. I believe Jeppview can be loaded on 1 iPad only. At present, IAL charts only, Text App on the way. :ok: