PDA

View Full Version : Avast updates problems / email affected ?

Krystal n chips
18th Feb 2010, 19:24
I have a query please re Avast and the recent problems I seem to be encountering.

For a while now, the length of time taken to download their updates seems endless...sometimes 10 mins or more. Also the frequency seems to be variable. Tonight for example, I booted up at around 1730...first update....then I got another problem, again, only with the updates recently, the screen goes black and eventually all the icons appear again..not tonight. Shut down, boot up again and bingo!..scree back as per normal...and another upgrade....type out email on OE..come to send and no deal, I get a caption box asking me to confirm my details...press OK and nothing happens....shut down and get messages about unsent mail etc..press OK..nothing happens...shut down and boot up again...another update....try the BT / Yahoo route....takes an age with lots of computer "chattering noise"....shut down, start up again....another update !.

Check OE again, and this time I get on...check folders and see mail has gone....one is not so sure here however.

So, all the problems seem to stem from Avast!....does anybody have any idea please as to what the issue could be and why Avast! seems to update so often?.

frostbite
18th Feb 2010, 19:49
What version of Avast are you using?

I have version 5 and have set it for permanent gaming/silent mode, so it just gets on with things and doesn't bother me at all.

At least, I assume it's getting on with things.........

BOAC
18th Feb 2010, 19:52
Wot u got set in Update basic/details/Autoupdate every??

Mine runs fine and updates just once a day.

Loose rivets
18th Feb 2010, 20:04
I have experienced very similar things. I have been railing against Yaboo for some time, and blamed that, but the Avast saga is getting seriously un-funny.

It still could be coincidence, but the mail thing does seem to have some of the same characteristics.

I wanted to accept the update, but it spends ages comparing the merits of the paid versions, then does sweet FA. This is on the serious machine, where, as a rule, I don't test new software. I trusted Avast because of the long period of use prior to this. I accept they need to make money, and wonder how they provide so much for so little, ie nowt, but I do want them to be straight-forward when they offer a freebie.

Given that frostbite is running 5 okay, I'll probably scrap mine and reinstall from a new download.

green granite
18th Feb 2010, 20:30
Mine updates 3 or 4 times a day, but I don't have any problems with it. (ver 4.8 it says)

ericlday
18th Feb 2010, 20:34
Using version 5, updates 2 maybe 3 times a day with no problems.

Loose rivets
18th Feb 2010, 20:56
Mine always used to tell me verbally it was updating, often while I was on Skype, making my contact jump.

Then it suddenly stopped doing that. I quite missed the bloke.

BOAC
18th Feb 2010, 21:00
If you really miss him, turn the sound on again.......................

Just updated to 5 - strangely there had been no sign of it in the prog updates

Tarq57
18th Feb 2010, 21:34
It sounds as though your Avast has tried to update itself to version 5, and the update has not gone well.
There are a few reports of this happening on the forum.

A solution is often to go offline (because you will have no active AV while re-installing) and uninstall the software via the control panel, run one (or both) of the Uninstall utilities (http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility) (run both if you are not sure what version you had installed), reboot, and install the program afresh. Either 4.8, if you have the full installer file (can be obtained from the right-hand column here (http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/) -look for version 4.8.1368) or the latest version, from the same page/different download, or from Avast. (http://www.avast.com/index)
Two or more reboots after installation might be required in some cases.
I don't know why; that is just the reported experience of some users.

Naturally, you would be advised to get the installation/cleaning files needed before going offline and reinstalling the software.

Me, I'm happy with 4.8, for now, and have set program updates to manual. I want to see any bugs ironed out before updating. There were many bugs in the version 5 releases prior to the current.
It looks like 5.0.418 might be pretty bug free, a lot of success reported.

Keef
18th Feb 2010, 23:15
Mine's 4.8, and it updates itself "whenever", and tells me in that smooth voice that "Virus database has been updated."

I didn't know there's a new version, but 4.8 seems to be working OK.

Krystal n chips
19th Feb 2010, 05:38
My thanks for all the advice / replies....:ok:

Everything returned to normal last night....and I got a reply to the email I sent so thus far thus good. However, when I came to reply a few mins ago I again got the "confirm identity" box....and this time I noted that my log in name and address had a bit added on the end...removed that and the mail went...I think.

The problems with Avast! began soon after they upgraded to a new version. Now, I simply get a green caption box suggesting I install the new version instead of the blue box and dulcet "all American" voice advising as to the completion of the latest upgrade.

I don't know it there is any relevance here, but I also run Spybot immediately after Avast! and wonder if this could also have a bearing on matters?.

BOAC
19th Feb 2010, 06:55
I think the green update box means 5 - what colour is the pool ball in the system tray? If it is orange you have 5, blue 4.

To confirm Tarq's post, I had an 'irregular' update to 5 - I assumed it was 'digitalis Boacitus' but maybe there is are hiccups here and there. Certainly the 'sound features' were turned on again by default post install. I think the new interface on 5 is better.

If you are having 'issues' AND you have 5, I would concur with Tarq's sequence, and see how a new install goes.

Krystal n chips
19th Feb 2010, 16:39
BOAC,

Good point....:ok:..the pool ball is still blue so it's V4 as I have yet to press the green box and upgrade....one can suffer the same digitalis condition as yourself here.....and one also regrets that as this is IT it cannot be rectified by a Hammer and a GS...old habits die hard you understand.

I will give it shot tomorrow and see what transpires thereafter.

BOAC
19th Feb 2010, 16:45
cannot be rectified by a Hammer and a GS - treat yourself sometime to the high-tec hard drive erasure process - it will be 'just like old times':)

Good luck 'morra

John Marsh
19th Feb 2010, 17:08
I had problems with a fresh installation of Avast 5 on Monday. The program repeatedly failed to connect to the updates server. Tried briefly disabling the firewall - no joy. Downloaded the definitions package from (I think) download.com; got the same error message. I didn't have time to ponder/enquire further; this was a relative's machine, needed ASAP! I put Avira on instead.

I'm still with Avast 4.8 and updating is plain sailing.