PDA

View Full Version : Caravan type rating in Tanzania

ragdragger
18th Feb 2010, 14:23
I'm heading to Tanzania to look for work and considering buying a Caravan rating before heading over. The confusing thing is that no type rating is required for the Caravan with my FAA license and all of the training centers in the US use approved full motion sims instead of aircraft for initial training. Anyone have a clue whether a certificate of training course completion and approved sim time would convert to a Tanzanian type rating? I'd rather not spend money to self train on the van and then find out that I'll still need actual flight time to get the rating in Tanz. Also wondering whether this training would help my chances of getting work enough to justify an almost $5000 investment that could be put to use towards getting my ATPL.

atpcliff
19th Feb 2010, 13:20
Hi!

The FAA only has type ratings for (most) aircraft over 12,500#. Most other countries require a type rating for every single aircraft.

You can convert your FAA license to TCAA, BUT, you're FAA will NOT say Caravan Type Rating, so that probably won't work very well for you, and you will probably have to have some time in the aircraft in TZ. Getting the ATP and then converting is a HUGE plus vs. just having a commercial.

I would try and email the TCAA and see if you can find out what is actually required.

If a company in TZ wants you, they will pay for and do everything to get you set up. If they don't need you, you will have to show up in person with your TCAA conversion and Caravan type rating. EXPENSIVE and FRUSTRATING beyond belief!!!

Good luck!

cliff
NBO

VarigMD11
19th Feb 2010, 19:01
You dont need a rating for the Caravan in TZ. The rules are the same as FAA. The company does the training with you and a TCAA DE signs you off after a check ride.

Vialengai
20th Feb 2010, 06:12
You do need a rating in Tanzania! I fly there and clearly have a rating in my license. However, it is very easy to do. If a company wants to employ you they will put you through the written technical exam at the same time as you do your written license conversion exam. They will then train you to fly the plane, you will then have a flight test with an approved Training Captain and then you will have to do your initial instrument rating with TCAA DE...after that if you know where the mountains are that you need to avoid....would might be lucky enough to be released for command. Most companies look for at least 1000 hrs TT. Good luck!

VarigMD11
20th Feb 2010, 09:07
Exactly what I meant :O

You definately dont need to waste money on a rating before you arrive in the country.

Good luck!

ragdragger
20th Feb 2010, 11:34
Good. I'd much rather spend my money on getting my ATP done, wether it helps me land a job in TZ or not. Couldn't hurt i'm sure. Thanks all for the valuable advice!

skysahara
21st Feb 2010, 14:57
If Your Licence Is From Usa It Will Not Show Type On Licence.
Just Go To Tz,do A Type Rating Written Test Which You Pay For At Tcaa,then Fly The Plane And Get Some Hours Signed As Training,you Will Then Get A Second Person Authorised By Tcaa To Sign Out Your Type Form Which You Will Submit To Tcaa And The Cessna 208 Will Be Endorsed In Your Licence.your Will Need To Be Current On Your Instrument Flying,tcaa Might Also Require You To Do An Instrument Exam Flight Test.and A Conversion Licence Exam To Get A Tz Cpl Or Atpl.

Best Of Luck.best Place In East Africa For Converting Your Foreign Licence.
Easier To Land A Job Also,especially If You Are A 2000+ Hours Pilot.

mentorbz
13th Aug 2010, 20:18
Hello,
are there any vacancies now for caravan captains in tanzania?

worldflyer777
13th Aug 2010, 23:24
also how much do operators pay to Caravan captains in Tanzania, Botswana, Kenya e.t.c.? Livable wage?

Agaricus bisporus
14th Aug 2010, 12:18
Interested to read several mentions of "Caravan Captains" as though there was an FO there too!!! Surely the 208 is single pilot?

Cardinal Puff
14th Aug 2010, 13:52
Quite so AB. Starboard Lookout/Chock now required by some clients. Bit of juggling in the past re logging time in right seat but that also seems to be sorted out now.

kotakota
14th Aug 2010, 16:34
Just paxed on a Caravan in Zambia between lodges , very experienced old skipper and a very new 'F.O' . They seem to do a few empty legs and the new boy then gets to fly / train in the LHS . Flying the commercial bit , the old boy does the biz. Impressive airplane , another planet compared to my bush-flying days before GPS and turbines !

Welshboyo
16th Aug 2010, 08:14
The Caravan in Zambia is still classed as a 2 pilot ship.

The DCA has recently introduced new regulations but they have not yet relaxed the requirement for the 2 crew on the Caravan.

B737 lover
18th Aug 2010, 17:50
Lots of Caravans in Tanzania nowadays guys and there are still more to come plus free training if you get employed. Go for it, for some of us! We are already tired of them. Airline is the choice.

Welshboyo
2nd Sep 2010, 06:45
The 1,000 hours is generally Insurance driven.

It would be unlikely that, if insurance stipulated that a certain number of hours were needed to fly a specific aircraft, that the operator would allow anyone with less hours to fly it.

But, insurance requirements can be changed by an operator if they like you and want you to work there, it is a simple conversation with their broker and assessing the new premium costs.

Good Luck

aakashmike
5th Sep 2010, 13:50
can anyone help me with the list of companies having carvan a/c"s.
I am looking for a job in tanzania.
please help !

i have got 300hrsTT ,FAA CPL with ME-IR

VarigMD11
5th Sep 2010, 15:24
You won't get a Van job with 300 hours in TZ, more likely 1500 before they will consider you.

aakashmike
5th Sep 2010, 17:29
thanks....any guidance? like where shoild i apply with jus 300hrs?

CRUIZE
5th Sep 2010, 19:58
Try Air India

planedriver7
9th Sep 2010, 12:47
Hi there, kinda need some information with regards to conversion to a TCAA license the exams that are held, the questions are based on the EASA(former JAA) or the FAA syllabus??

AviatorJack
9th Sep 2010, 18:31
Anyone hiring van pilots right now? Dar? Arusha? I will return there if people are hiring, if so noooo. If so and anyone knows please PM me.

Alvaro Lopez
20th Oct 2010, 22:27
Hi there!! 2700TT, 1800 as PIC in C208B. Anything out there??:)

aviatorzuckeberg
3rd Aug 2011, 11:25
I am looking to do my CESSNA GRAND CARAVAN 208B GARMIN 1000 training from ONLY commonwealth countries.....like SOUTH AFRICA,CANADA,UK,AUSTRALIA,TANZANIA...ETC.....would require help in finding me a suitable flight school....COST DONT MATTER ...appreciate any help....

aviatorzuckeberg
3rd Aug 2011, 12:07
I am looking to do my CESSNA GRAND CARAVAN 208B GARMIN 1000 training from ONLY commonwealth countries.....like SOUTH AFRICA,CANADA,UK,AUSTRALIA,TANZANIA...ETC.....would require help in finding me a suitable flight school....COST DONT MATTER ...appreciate any help....