PDA

View Full Version : Networking Help Please

Greek God
18th Feb 2010, 11:38
Hi Folks I am hoping someone may be able to help with a small problem- I suspect it should be a simples fix but alexander cant help! & nothing I have tried works.
Operating Desktop with Win7Pro(64bit) and Laptop with VistaPro. Systems wireless networked DT has 2 user profiles not passworded. LT has one profile passworded. Both computers see each other in explorer and I can access the LT from the DT with no problems. DT has 4 HDs and I can access drives D, G & M (drive letters) but not drive C or either user profiles. When I connect to the DT I get a window asking for username and password and fill in the username (no password as it is not set) and enter and I then get access to the DT with "username" documents, music etc as well as as the other drives , however, when I click on Documents or C drive I get a window saying xxx is available but you do not have permission to access xxx check name and path is correct (the gist not exact!)
I have set everything I can on the DT to share and have set the permissions of the folders to everyone but I still cannot access files on the C (master) Drive fom the LT. Its obviously a permission thing as its ok DT to LT and I can access the other drives?
Thanks

mad_jock
18th Feb 2010, 11:54
Definately permission's

Make sure both are in the same workgroup

Then make sure that both machines have the same account names and passwords on both. Then try again.

Its really not a good idea to run with no passwords on accounts. Make sure as well that the XP machine has a admin account and a basic user account always use the user account for day to day running.

Also as well its better to create a saperate share for each drive or point of data on the DT. Then map a drive to each of those.

Greek God
21st Feb 2010, 15:41
Hi Jock
Thanks for that I have managed to get through the link C;\users\xxxx\documents but still cant access te documents directly. I still get the same message. nb the dt is win7Pro & the laptop is VistaPro
Rgds GG

mad_jock
21st Feb 2010, 16:58
You will have to go and check all the flies and directorys and make sure that the permissions are correct.

This bit of Windows version of Unix filesystem security is one of the biggest pain in the hoop point and click bollocks going.

Unix we would just do a chmod 777 -r (path)