PDA

View Full Version : Interesting little CGI film on the construction of the RAF's new Carrier fleet

NutLoose
18th Feb 2010, 11:15
For when they take over the Navy :p

Video Player (http://www.thisisnorthdevon.co.uk/videomediaplayer.html?vid=5881)

althenick
19th Feb 2010, 03:15
For when they take over the Navy

Video Player

Cant really see this happening Nutloose, forget Ipod charging points. The S&S, catering etc would have to be run by Marriott or suchlike before the crabs would even step on board :E

4Greens
19th Feb 2010, 06:19
The only miracle will be if it is built at all.

signed, one who flew off the last of the real RN ones

Sunk at Narvik
19th Feb 2010, 08:20
4Greens- construction is already underway.

Navy's new carriers take shape in Scotland (http://www.shippingtimes.co.uk/item_10274.html)

melipona
19th Feb 2010, 11:16
Maybe we could take some inspiration from the USS Macon. (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/12/macon_wreck_now_historic/)

Impiger
20th Feb 2010, 17:02
Didn't we build some submarines once then sell them straight away instead of bringing them into Service? Just a thought:E

parabellum
20th Feb 2010, 19:59
There is no way the RAF could take over the RN, they won't be home every weekend and they can't scive off at 16.00 on a Friday!;)

(All deployment personnel not included in the above - just banter).

Wiley
20th Feb 2010, 21:11
and they can't scive off at 16.00 on a Friday!1600??? What happened to the Navy's long tradition of Poet's* Day - 1500 out the door on Fridays?

(* POETS = Piss Off Early, Tomorrow's Saturday)

Brian Abraham
21st Feb 2010, 01:05
1500 out the door on Fridays?
What, that late!!!! - was 1230 where I be (colonies)

Lima Juliet
21st Feb 2010, 11:24
The construction video kind of reminds me of IKEA - I wonder what they'll do with the inevitable "left over bits"! :}

Radar Command T/O
21st Feb 2010, 13:06
The construction video kind of reminds me of IKEA - I wonder what they'll do with the inevitable "left over bits"!

Those aren't left-over bits, they're spares. The ACA will be able to charge millions for them!:}

NutLoose
22nd Feb 2010, 07:51
The RAF running a carrier group, I can see it now,

"Sir it's five to five and it's Friday"
"So it is, All Stop, Anchors Away"

Monday Morning 9 Am

"Morning steering type person, did you have a good weekend?"
"yes Sir"
"Good, Good.... Navigator???? Damn I keep forgetting, WSO... Where are we?"
"Well, we were here on Friday according to this box thing removed from the GR3!"
"Good, Good, Engine room, Hope you had a good weekend, can we have Max Dry please......."
"Oh and can someone let the brakes off and pull that anchor thingy back on board"

ProM
22nd Feb 2010, 09:43
By the time of a strategic defence review it is likely that it will be too late to stop construction of at least the first CVF. We have already contracted out over £1bn of purchases

We did build some Submarines and then sell them before using them(Upholder)

Harder to sell a couple of CVFs though.

However the aircraft (which is where the real costs are) is another problem. Will we get JSFs for 0, 1 or 2 carriers? Who knows

p.s. no way can the RAF take over the carriers. No provision has been made in the CVF design for:
Moustache preening kits
Ability to move around the ship by sports car or motorbike
Roads/Railways near the ship to aid finding the way home when lost

The Helpful Stacker
22nd Feb 2010, 10:19
To be honest I don't think anyone in the RAF would want to drive boats, the days of RAF Mountbatten are long gone.

No, I think you'll find the RAF will be quite happy to allow their airfields to be driven about by the RN, after all the services really need to stick together and in-lieu of anything else (other than holding cocktail parties) I guess driving for the RAF gives the RN something useful to do.

See, generalisations can be fun.

ProM
22nd Feb 2010, 10:22
THS
No worry to me, I'm ex-army civilian. Just taking the p*ss