PDA

View Full Version : Type Rating for 1000 single hours pilot??

latent
18th Feb 2010, 11:01
Will it be much of a benefit to get a 737 or a320 type rating to get into Virgin or Jetstar in Australia?? only a few hours multi time i have (40)..
Which one, if any, would be more of an advantage?? Any information on good ( cheap ) training organisations that provide a320 or 737 ratings would be greatly appreciated as well.

Cheers all,

Latent

welliewanger
18th Feb 2010, 13:09
Dunno about the aussie situation, but the general world wide situation is that it would be better to sit tight and wait for things to pick up. If you buy a TR now it'll only really be useful for 6 months. After that you're no longer current.

I remember how you feel. A couple of years after getting the ATPL and you don't seem to be progressing. The temptation is to "buy yourself a job" During the good times this might work. But with so many type rated people being made redundant at the moment, who do you think the few companies that are hiring will prefer?

For now, just keep your CPL / IR current and make as many contacts as possible. Play the long game - the industry will pick up, you just need to be ready when it does.

fly_antonov
18th Feb 2010, 18:52
Excellent advice.

Don' t buy a TR, especially if there is no job attached to it (like some airlines do in Europe).

Hold your breath for now or look for a job in Asia.

Have you already tried Qantaslink and Regional Express (their ME requirement is 350 hours but you never know)?