PDA

View Full Version : Battery shot?

Latearrival
18th Feb 2010, 04:58
My laptop is only 18 months old and I rarely use it on battery, although I did extensively for two weeks about six months ago.

I unplugged it today and the battery charge indicator said there was a 97% charge remaining. 15 minutes later, I got the signal that I should plug it in because the battery was almost dead.

Does that make sense? What is the normal life-span for a lap-top battery? And is there anything one can do to prolong battery life?

Thanks!

LA

green granite
18th Feb 2010, 06:50
Constantly allowing it to cycle down to nearly flat is the best way of prolonging it's life, say at least once a week.

Loose rivets
18th Feb 2010, 07:55
Erm, is it a NiCad? if not, keeping the cycles down is the best route to economy. They count them if I'm not mistaken!

Deep cycling NiCads was vital, but I think it was the last one that required that. I'd be interested to know if there are others.

The Sony ones are LI-Ion. I try to keep them at 80% with some swings just to blow the cobwebs out.

I have had a knock-down drag-out with Sony over theirs. They discharge up to 15% a day with the computer off. An I mean OFF.

What's worse...for 9 months, none of their helpline knew.

When you're traveling and can't always get to a plug, that discharge can be tedious. They've given me another battery, but I still find it best to undo the thing for making sure I've got power when I need it, but then I have to make sure it's safe for travel. i.e. no metal bits that could short it.

green granite
18th Feb 2010, 09:20
Here's a site that says the opposite to the one I originally looked at last year, it suggests only partial discharges but a full one every 30 cycles or so, also it suggests that heating the battery, as happens in a laptop, is very bad for it and will drastically reduce it's life.

How to prolong lithium-based batteries (http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm)

Latearrival
18th Feb 2010, 17:30
Green granite and Loose rivits, thanks for your replies. LR, I'm not sure what kind of battery my laptop has--probably the cheapest of the two since it's an Acer. No knock against Acers since it's more than adequate for what I do, but I suspect they don't have the most expensive components. LA

Loose rivets
18th Feb 2010, 18:11
I think it's a requirement to have it printed on the battery...cos of disposal issues.

I have to say that if it isn't labeled, I'd be scratching my head to know how to identify it. Looking it up would be cheating:p

Both my wife and I run our machines with the battery removed - the heating issue just one of the reasons. If we're doing something mission-critical, then of course the Backup PS is a factor and it goes back in.

Remember, not only is the battery being cycled, but the power systems in the L-T are being hammered on full charge. Just about everything in these little computers is optimized - in an effort to make them more compact with every generation.

Keef talked of a heating problem that affected my wife's model of HP. I seem to remember that it was causing dry-joints. Bad show that, after all their years of production experience.

Latearrival
18th Feb 2010, 18:36
Loose rivits, are you actually suggesting that I could remove the cover and look inside my computer to see what kind of battery I have? Surely not! You are talking to the ultimate technophobe here. If it plugs in, I'm afraid of it.:eek:

I have to go out now but I'll try to muster up my courage and remove the battery later. :) Sounds like a good idea. Thanks for your input.

(This isn't the first time I've embarrassed myself regarding computers. It won't be the last.)

mad_jock
18th Feb 2010, 18:54
I would be suprised if its anything but Li ION

Was looking through windows for a battery status thing but can't seem to find one.

Which is stange as when I boot in fedora its there behind the batery status icon.

Gives all sorts of data even the serial number of the thing.

Sprogget
18th Feb 2010, 19:39
LA, what operating system are you using on your lappy?

Loose rivets
18th Feb 2010, 21:10
If it plugs in, I'm afraid of it. :eek:

Oooo...okay then, unplug it and run and hide behind the sofa. If nothing untoward happens in, say, 4 hours, approach it slowly, holding a cushion over each ear. Poke it cautiously with a stick. If it doesn't explode, turn it over and look for two slidy-clippy things on the back or bottom.

These will most likely be on the battery, which will seem to be contiguous with the plastic molding. It will be something like 1.5" X 6-8" long.

One clip will probably show an open padlock and the other...something else, like 'Release'. Undo the lock one, and hold the other one against its spring while tearing at the battery join-line with your fingernails.

It would be wise to assess accurately, the possible trajectory of the battery as it flies out. Do not aim it at open fireplaces, or playful dogs.

Latearrival
19th Feb 2010, 05:05
Sprogget, my OS is XP. The computer came with Vista but I had it changed.

Loose rivets:D Thanks for the directions but you need to be more specific. You didn't tell me what kind of stick to use.

mad_jock, I do indeed have a Li ION battery.

Thanks, all!

Sprogget
19th Feb 2010, 07:09
Well that's the end of that idea. There's a known bug in win7 where the battery indicator pops up after a few minutes. Not an issue in xp afaik.

Tropospherical
19th Feb 2010, 07:37
What's the brand and model of the laptop?

mad_jock
19th Feb 2010, 10:20
I believe there is a thread kicking around which tells you how to static discharge the charging circuits around here.

I did have the same problem with my aspire one with a paticular battery. Was using my other one and had a play with some of the tools in Fedora and replaced it to see what its status was and look at its charging history. As soon as I did that it did something and it sorted its self out. NOw takes full charge and fedora informs me that it can take 92% of its orginal charge.

Latearrival
19th Feb 2010, 15:53
Tropospherical, it's a 5720z.

Saab Dastard
19th Feb 2010, 16:15
According to Acer, the 5720z battery spec. is:

44.4W 4000mAh 6-cell Li-ion battery pack
2.8 hour battery life
2.5 hour rapid recharge, 3.5 hour charge in use

SD