PDA

View Full Version : Cabair

Prophead
17th Feb 2010, 13:46
Hi

Has anyone done their modular CPL/IR with Cabair? I am trying to decide on a school to do these after the ATPL's but the nearest schools Wycombe, Denham, Elstree are all Cabair. I have never had anything to do with them myself before but have always been told not to bother with them. I dont know whether this justified or was just because of their size and people tend to prefer smaller schools so I would be interested to hear any comments good or bad.

I am also thinking of doing them part time. I would be interested to hear from peopl ethat have taken this route.

Regards

oversteer
17th Feb 2010, 20:07
Wycombe has two schools, BA Flying Club, as well as Wycombe Air Centre.

Denham has another school that operates on the other side of the airfield, The Pilot Centre, as well as Cabair.

White Waltham presumably has something too?

Prophead
18th Feb 2010, 06:28
The schools you mention only train for PPL/IMC/FI. What I'm looking for is somewhere to do my CPL/IR.

darn
18th Feb 2010, 07:27
I've never been to Cabair Wycombe or Denham but I almost did the CPL/IR with Cabair Bournemouth, however I chose not to as the Instructor-Student ratio was very high and the guys doing it spent a lot of time sitting around waiting for an instructor.

I've also heard rather negative comments about them, although their 'london' schools may have a completely different set-up to Bournemouth. My advice would be to go down there yourself and have a good nose around.

theflyingbus
18th Feb 2010, 11:51
Good afternoon

I instruct/examine at The Pilot Centre, Denham and you are right in that we do not do CPL/IR training, for now. Its been about seven years since I did my commercial and the same posts appear now as they did back then! Everyone knows someone, who knows someone who had a bad experience with their training school.

I am not sure if Cabair at Denham and Elstree do CPL/IR training, I dont think so? At Wycombe they do, formerly Wycombe Air Centre, who I did my Multi-engine rating with and were good back then but have had no dealings with them of late.

In my opinion, for what it is worth, you have to go on your (informed) instincts, go to the schools and form your own opinion. Things I looked at were condition of facilities/aircraft, amount of aircraft and students (ie if only one aircraft and it was tech, what are they going to do?) and obviously cost, but importantly extra's, positioning for test etc.

I did my CPL at Naples Air Center, Florida, at the time could not fault them. The IR was at Aeros, Gloucestershire, where I commuted most days! 2 to 1 instruction, good sim/aircraft, airspace was a little less busy! Exam centre close by and the price was the cheapest and exactly as quoted!

As I say take a couple of days out and drive about.

In the meantime a well taught IMC rating will help build hours (if needed) and will be a good step towards the IR. (And yes of course we could help with that!!)

Good luck

Feel free to ask further questions

Prophead
18th Feb 2010, 12:07
Thanks for the replies, I do mean to vist the schools but am just putting together a shortlist. As at least 2 of the potential schools are Cabair and I have seen their name crop up a few times on here, I thought I would try and get some reviews good or bad to help me decide. I like the look of Bonus and possibly Stapleford although it is a longer drive and would rule out part time training around work. Wycombe is top of the list although the idea of positioning to somewhere else for the test puts me off a bit.

I agree about the IMC and have that, I only wish they would count it towards the IR.:(

Anyway, I will be visiting them in due course.

Regards

theflyingbus
18th Feb 2010, 12:16
I too have heard good things of Bonus. A couple of friends went through them about five years ago and through "another job" I use their facilities at Cranfield and they all seem nice people, although I have not flown with them, I would say worth adding to your list.

Good luck