PDA

View Full Version : Merseyside Police grounded UAV

airborne_artist
16th Feb 2010, 11:02
Merseyside Police caught by CAA for flying their RC RW drone without a ticket...:

BBC News - Unlicensed Merseyside Police drone grounded (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/8517726.stm)

Unlicensed Merseyside Police drone grounded

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/47280000/jpg/_47280147_42958475.jpg The force first began testing drone devices in May 2007

Police on Merseyside have had to ground their new drone over concerns it was being used illegally without a licence.
Merseyside Police said they had been unaware they needed a licence to fly the £40,000 remote control helicopter fitted with CCTV.
The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) said it needed to be consulted over any use of the drones, that can fly up to 400ft and reach speeds of 30mph.
The force's new drone was used last week to catch a car thief in thick fog.
All unmanned aircraft, not just ones that weigh 15lb (7kg) or more, now have to be licensed to conduct aerial surveillance work after the law changed at the start of the year.
They need CAA permission to fly within 164ft (50m) of people and within 492ft (150m) of buildings.
The CAA said any breach in regulations, which came into force on 1 January 2010, would be "treated seriously".
A Merseyside Police spokesman said: "Since the force has known of the change in regulations all Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) flights have been suspended and will remain so until the appropriate licence has been granted."
He added that the CAA had been invited to inspect the drone and see how they used it.
Thermal image
The air space regulator confirmed it was investigating the use of the drone by Merseyside Police and the force had stopped all drone operations.
A CAA spokesman said it had the powers to fine those who operated illegally, but said the investigation with the Merseyside force was only in its early stages.
The military-designed equipment is directed through a remote control, which is used by an officer on the ground.
The police force has had the drone since November and has said it could be used for a range of uses, from hostage situations to monitoring large public events.
Last week, officers said thermal images provided by the force's drone led it to the first arrest it had been involved with.
A man was tracked down with the camera after he ran off from a stolen car.
The technology onboard the drone meant the officer using it was able to use live images of the suspect's body heat. The officer then directed patrols on the ground to where the man was hiding in undergrowth.
Two men were arrested and later bailed in connection to the theft.

edited - read Merseyside, wrote GMP - :=

kevin_mayes
16th Feb 2010, 11:15
Hmm, so when is a drone not a model then... I assume that the comment "under 7KG" meant over 7kg... I bet there are some RC models out there that are more than that?
Kev.

FloaterNorthWest
16th Feb 2010, 11:18
Whats Greater Manchester Police (GMP) got to do with this?

ShyTorque
16th Feb 2010, 11:41
I think they should have the book thrown at them.

After all, as the police are always quick to point out, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse".

Also, the car thief will possibly have reasonable excuse in court that he cannot be convicted because evidence against him was obtained by illegal means.

kevin_mayes
16th Feb 2010, 11:52
Hmm, very interesting point Shy.

SASless
16th Feb 2010, 11:54
The CAA might own the "airspace" but the Plod owns the "pavement"....this is one Big Willy Contest that has some interesting factors at play.

CAA "fines" Plod....Plod "summons" CAA....now how does that end up?

I wonder who gets to start using push bikes to commute to work?

Not that I would ever in a million years take sides in such a dispute....but in this one...a Tip of me hat to yer Constable!

After all....a rule is a rule right....and Lord knows the CAA loves to enforce "rules".

Now only if the Chief Constable was a man after Bulldog Drummond's ilk!

chopjock
16th Feb 2010, 12:23
Hmm, so when is a drone not a model then... I assume that the comment "under 7KG" meant over 7kg... I bet there are some RC models out there that are more than that?
Kev.If a model helicopter is used for the purpose of "aerial work" in the UK (whatever it's weight), then a permission must be obtained from the CAA. If a model weighs more than 7Kgs, then it is classed as an aircraft and an exemption is required from the CAA .

Fortyodd2
16th Feb 2010, 13:05
Interesting to note that the publicised arrest was made in "thick fog". Can't have been that thick if the operator was able to maintain the direct line of sight required for use of the drone - and I'm not sure how that is achieved when wearing the video goggles.

birrddog
16th Feb 2010, 13:26
Oooher, the old bill broke rule 5! Throw the book at them and throw away the key ;)

It was a thermal camera, which is why they could allegedly see through the fog.

birrddog
16th Feb 2010, 13:41
I have a headline suggestion:
"Copper comes a cropper using model chopper!"

md 600 driver
16th Feb 2010, 13:46
if that is so i hope he has a instrument rating and type rating and the wx was in limits for the landing

what about the preflight or maintence does this reqire a part 66 engineer

just a little question who would get the fine if it went to court ?

LOL

airborne_artist
16th Feb 2010, 13:48
if that is so i hope he has a instrument rating and type rating and the wx was in limits for the landing

Diversion fuel? :E

chopjock
16th Feb 2010, 14:08
Diversion fuel?

It's battery operated.

Fortyodd2
16th Feb 2010, 14:13
"It was a thermal camera, which is why they could allegedly see through the fog".

Thermal Cameras cannot "see" through fog. Fog is visible moisture which evens out thermal differential.

"just a little question who would get the fine if it went to court ?"

Chief Constable as it was being operated on his behalf.

airborne_artist
16th Feb 2010, 14:30
Diversion fuel? It's battery operated.

OK then, was the aircraft's endurance sufficient for a diversion?

md 600 driver
16th Feb 2010, 14:42
fortyodd sorry i meant who would get the fine money would it go in a circle
and end back to he chief constable with everyones commision taken out

chopper2004
16th Feb 2010, 15:32
Licence probe grounds police drone - Yahoo! News UK (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20100216/tuk-licence-probe-grounds-police-drone-6323e80.html)

JimBall
16th Feb 2010, 16:36
CAP 722 now makes for interesting reading - and the consultations that happened in the last 12 months.

CPL(U) is a new one on me.

Low Flier
16th Feb 2010, 16:39
If a model helicopter is used for the purpose of "aerial work" in the UK (whatever it's weight), then a permission must be obtained from the CAA. If a model weighs more than 7Kgs, then it is classed as an aircraft and an exemption is required from the CAA.

That's not a very good synopsis of what the ANO actually says.

Small unmanned aircraft

166.—(1) A person must not cause or permit any article or animal (whether or not attached to a parachute) to be dropped from a small unmanned aircraft so as to endanger persons or property.

(2) The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft may only fly the aircraft if reasonably satisfied that the flight can safely be made.

(3) The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft must maintain direct, unaided visual contact with the aircraft sufficient to monitor its flight path in relation to other aircraft, persons, vehicles, vessels and structures for the purpose of avoiding collisions.

(4) The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft which has a mass of more than 7kg excluding its fuel but including any articles or equipment installed in or attached to the aircraft at the commencement of its flight, must not fly the aircraft—
(a) in Class A, C, D or E airspace unless the permission of the appropriate air traffic control unit has been obtained;
(b) within an aerodrome traffic zone during the notified hours of watch of the air traffic control unit (if any) at that aerodrome unless the permission of any such air traffic control unit has been obtained; or
(c) at a height of more than 400 feet above the surface unless it is flying in airspace described in sub-paragraph (a) or (b) and in accordance with the requirements for that airspace.

(5) The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft must not fly the aircraft for the purposes of aerial work except in accordance with a permission granted by the CAA.

Small unmanned surveillance aircraft
167.—(1) The person in charge of a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not fly the aircraft in any of the circumstances described in paragraph (2) except in accordance with a permission issued by the CAA.
(2) The circumstances referred to in paragraph (1) are—
(a) over or within 150 metres of any congested area;
(b) over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons;
(c) within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft; or
(d) subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), within 50 metres of any person.
(3) Subject to paragraph (4), during take-off or landing, a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not be flown within 30 metres of any person.
(4) Paragraphs (2)(d) and (3) do not apply to the person in charge of the small unmanned surveillance aircraft or a person under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft.

(5) In this article ‘a small unmanned surveillance aircraft’ means a small unmanned aircraft which is equipped to undertake any form of surveillance or data acquisition.

Between 7kg and 20kg a 'small unmanned surveillance aircraft' is deemed to be just that, not an "aircraft" (as in grownup aircraft) per se.

chopjock
16th Feb 2010, 17:29
Quote:
If a model helicopter is used for the purpose of "aerial work" in the UK (whatever it's weight), then a permission must be obtained from the CAA. If a model weighs more than 7Kgs, then it is classed as an aircraft and an exemption is required from the CAA.

That's not a very good synopsis of what the ANO actually says.I was referring to "aerial work" and not general (sport) model flying.:) Sorry if I mislead anyone.

Fly_For_Fun
16th Feb 2010, 18:13
Takes CCTV to a whole new place.
Who is responsible if a tech fault causes the aircraft to crash and injure a person, the pilot or chief constable?
If it is single engined does it have to be capable of carrying out a forced landing without endangering a member of the public?
Dread to think what would happen if the funky glasses failed

That’s progress I suppose.

heli-cal
16th Feb 2010, 18:49
Curious that the police could spare the time, 'manpower' and resources to brag to the media and put on a show, yet not dedicate any of the above to ascertain the legality of their proposed application for the drone.

Ignorance and arrogance are no substitute for competence!

Rigga
16th Feb 2010, 19:00
birrddog:

How about:
Cocky Copper's 'Copters Cop Out!

HOGE
16th Feb 2010, 19:05
Or RC PC CCTV AOG

SilsoeSid
16th Feb 2010, 19:16
If this finding people with thermal camera malarky is aerial work, how come the helicopters are classed as doing 'public transport ' work, when no members of the public are on board?
:confused:

MightyGem
16th Feb 2010, 20:03
I'm not even sure if we have a drone at the moment. One of our crews went looking for it last week when it disappeared over the river. :}

topendtorque
16th Feb 2010, 20:17
birrddog:

How about:
Cocky Copper's 'Copters Cop Out!

Talk about being cropped?
'CAA axes copper's chopper'

Ah, bring tears to me eyes it does.

and then;

I'm not even sure if we have a drone at the moment. One of our crews went looking for it last week when it disappeared over the river.

or,
'Queen B sends worker after drone.'

damm, where's that morning cup of tea?
hooroo

Thomas coupling
16th Feb 2010, 20:58
Mightygem - how goes it! Methinks the ASU had some involvement in the missing drone:=

Seems nothing changes - I bet they never ever thought of asking JC or the ASU for advice on authorisations for drone flying?
Still keeping you in the dark are they?

Best wishes

TC (ex CPNWPASU)

MightyGem
17th Feb 2010, 16:12
Mightygem - how goes it!
Same old stuff. You've been quiet for a while.

Methinks the ASU had some involvement in the missing drone
I wouldn't like to say, but it has been known to go out of control if we are nearby with the downlink on. :E

timex
18th Feb 2010, 10:03
So you guys didn't watch it go splash.....:E:E

B.U.D.G.I.E
22nd Feb 2010, 14:31
Parrot AR.Drone - Intuitive piloting - Wifi live video remote control - Automatic Pilot (http://ardrone.parrot.com/parrot-ar-drone/en/intuitive-piloting#start)

Maybe they should of got one of these and save 40 grand

V3KrFV0-WFw