PDA

View Full Version : Oh, NO! 14 days for W7 RC

Loose rivets
16th Feb 2010, 08:13
I'm sure that it was all set for longer than that, but then, weeks fly by now . . . time must just have slipped by without me noticing.

Anyone know of a further expiry time for some RC Betas?

green granite
16th Feb 2010, 10:45
Time to flash the cash mate. :)

Bushfiva
16th Feb 2010, 13:43
Mr Rivets, just buy the product or go back to your previous OS.

mixture
16th Feb 2010, 14:26
As others have pointed out .... obtain a legal license or revert to the software for which you were legally licensed.

I very much doubt the mods will condone discussion of any license circumvention techniques. :=

Yes I know, "why should I pay the dark evil Microsoft more money" ..... well, believe it or not a lot of hard work, both pre-release and post-release is required to come up with complex software such as Microsoft Windows. If Microsoft software is your weapon of choice, PAY FOR IT !!!! Otherwise use an open source alternative.

hellsbrink
16th Feb 2010, 14:44
100%, mixture. Things like that should not be discussed here

Saab Dastard
16th Feb 2010, 16:17
Such honesty, how touching! :ok: :D

SD

PoloJamie
16th Feb 2010, 20:07
There may be ways to circumvent it, but as already stated we can't really discuss them on PPRuNe...

I'm currently using Windows 7 Ultimate...Microsoft were very kind and gave me a copy :)

Loose rivets
16th Feb 2010, 21:39
Flippin' 'ek. All I said was: Anyone know of a further expiry time for some RC Betas?

I must have thought the last date was the expiration of normal operations. I can get 32 OR 64 bit W7 for $109, at the local store, so no sweat, but I just don't know what machine I want to be the final home PC, so a bit more time would have been useful.

Also, I didn't want to lose the FAX. Is that only on Ultimate? The 109 Buck one is Professional I think.

Forums have told me where (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows NT\MSFax, there are all folders (inbox, sent etc.).) but not what OSs have this luxury.

mad_jock
16th Feb 2010, 22:26
Now i am sure someone will correct me but.

The restrictions about fannying around with hardware are only really a problem with OEM installations on pre installed machines.

If you get a over the counter job you can only have it installed on one machine. But there is nothing stopping you changing the mother board and reloading the OS again so the HAL loads its drivers.

Oh and I have fax on my Home premium edition if that helps.

Loose rivets
16th Feb 2010, 22:52
I have fax on my Home premium edition if that helps.

Ah, that's a relief.

Ever since I threw my old fax into the bin, people have asked me to fax stuff. I protest loudly, but folk like Sony won't budge...so off to Staples to send it.:ugh: Mind you, I did get a Vaio battery from them.

Keef
17th Feb 2010, 00:24
There is "Windows Fax & Scan" on Home Premium, but it's mighty fussy about what scanners it will accept. It doesn't do TWAIN: you have to have a scanner that's compatible with some new Microsoft interface thingy. My excellent old Agfa wasn't; I bought a Canon Lide scanner last month, and that is.

I'm impressed with Win 7. It does all I ask of it. I like the way it searches out drivers for peripherals.

Loose rivets
17th Feb 2010, 03:44
Like you, I got WinFax (pro?) and found it utterly incomprehensible. Even while I still had a brain, it was so counter-intuitive and handled functions in a way bizarrely at odds with every convention. I resolved to never send another fax. Nor did I, until a battery was in the offing for my new Sony laptop.

I finally got my Creative camera going on W7. Emulating away, the driver - AT LAST on a list of obsolete drivers - downloaded, and promptly crashed the system. A reboot or two, and it still refused to install. I thought, I'll just try it...and away it went. Sooooo much better than any of my friend's cameras. Several life-long friends said that it made me look old and craggy. Sadly, not a fault on the camera. :(

Sprogget
17th Feb 2010, 06:46
It doesn't fax out of excel either. One has to print excel sheets to pdf then fax the pdf in order for Windows to accept that there is actually a fax to go,