PDA

View Full Version : Pilot and Nurse

lmtrouble
15th Feb 2010, 23:51
Hi, just wondering if anybody could give me some advice.
I am a commercial Helicopter Pilot and also an Emergency/ICU nurse.
I have recently put in my application as Navy Pilot and I put 'Nurse' as my 2nd preference. I thought that if I don't make it through the process as pilot this time, I could go in as a nurse and then try and swap over in a year or so.
Some people have told me this is a good idea, and others are saying that it will be nearly impossible to swap over once they have assigned me a job.
Should I get the nurse preference off the application and just go for pilot?
I really want to join the Navy and I wouldn't mind nursing for a little while longer but ultimately I want to be a pilot (especially since I just spent $60,000 on a license).
If I don't make it through PSA this time, will I be able to try again?
Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated :ok:

L J R
16th Feb 2010, 00:10
...and here is me thinking this would bring back distant memories of my Pilot Officer days...(at RAAF Richmond)..

Cougar
16th Feb 2010, 02:00
Nice one LJR :ok:

3CSH certainly served a 'purpose' now, didn't it?

Roller Merlin
16th Feb 2010, 03:00
Imtrouble,

it depends on how motivated you are for a Navy flying lifestyle - it is unusual but not silly to apply for both. If you really want to join up, my advice is to put all your efforts into getting to FSP first, and make sure the recruiters know it. This also demonstrates motivation to fly. Most other applicants will opt for Observer as second flying preference - you should seriously consider this on your application - Observer is a very challenging front seat role in the Navy (they need to have basic helo flying skills also)- the various selection boards may think twice if you have the option to jump back into the "easy option" of nursing when the mil training gets tough.

That said, if the training pipe is blocked up for a year or so (typical) the opportunity to get into Navy nursing and keep applying would be reasonable. Military nursing is not like the civil world - you are mainly dealing with healthy people!

Consider that right now the only real impediment to you being selected for FSP is your performance and profile in the selection process. You will only get one shot at FSP (unless you get sick / family crisis or similar). If you join the Navy as a nurse, the Navy's desire to release you could become an additional impediment on top - the need for nurses could affect your application and your bosses could have an + or - influence on your application. Yet another reason to keep pushing for option A.

RM

lmtrouble
16th Feb 2010, 08:26
LJR, if it's any consolation - I am a girl ;)

RM, thanks for the reply. I will take the nursing off my application completely as I have a feeling that they would try and push me towards this area due to my qualifications (my case manager has already hinted this). If I was to go into the 'waiting pool' I would quite happily enter as a nurse until a spot comes up (if possible). I will keep this to myself for now though and see what happens. Thanks for your advice. I really appreciate it.

SilsoeSid
16th Feb 2010, 09:07
And I thought this was announcing the arrival of the mini-bus from Rinteln.
:E

airborne_artist
16th Feb 2010, 09:10
... or the first Saturday of the month bash at the Royal Cornwall Hospital nurses accom. block :E

until a spot comes up

In which case you'll need a doctor, I'd suggest..:=

whowhenwhy
16th Feb 2010, 11:55
Not wishing to teach you to suck eggs, but be prepared for the "so, why are you not applying to be a nurse in the Navy" question! Good luck with selection!

Notmyreallogin
16th Feb 2010, 14:28
In the current climate I can see very little opportunity to transfer. You are needed in Afghanistan far more as a Nurse than an Wokka mate.

Good luck wherever you end up. No HEMS jobs available with those skills?

NMRL

obnoxio f*ckwit
16th Feb 2010, 19:33
Thought this was a follow on from the "Finningley and Filton Block" thread...

TheWizard
16th Feb 2010, 19:43
In the current climate I can see very little opportunity to transfer. You are needed in Afghanistan far more as a Nurse than an Wokka mate.

NMRL

Especially as the Navy don't have Wokkas!:confused:

Talk Reaction
16th Feb 2010, 20:13
i can't stop laughing imagining how many people won't even open this thread fearing it to be some kind of 'tracking you down' question about 'news' you weren't 'expecting' ;)