PDA

View Full Version : Tragic Death of V- Australia Cabin Crew member

priapism
15th Feb 2010, 10:06
So sad.
Australian flight attendant found dead at Thai Hilton Hotel may have fallen in room mix-up | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/australian-flight-attendant-found-dead-at-thai-hilton-hotel-may-have-fallen-in-room-mix-up/story-e6frf7jo-1225830565333)

I Just Want To Fly
16th Feb 2010, 04:22
V Crew are a very close family, and this has hit us hard.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and loved ones.

ChicoG
16th Feb 2010, 05:48
It sounds as if the poor boy was a bit drunk, and may have tried to get into the wrong room the long way round. I've stayed in this hotel, it can be described as a large maze, and it is easy to get lost.

RIP poor chap.

KARON, PHUKET: A young Australian air steward fell to his death at Phuket’s largest hotel yesterday.

Police believe Nathan Edwards, 25, fell five stories at the Hilton Arcadia Resort and Spa in Karon after trying to enter the wrong room.

Chalong Police Inspector Boonlert Ongklang said he received a report that a tourist had plunged to his death at the hotel at around 3:30am.

Col Boonlert said Mr Edwards was on vacation in Phuket with 13 colleagues from V Australia airlines.

After a night out drinking in Patong, he returned to his hotel and mistakenly attempted to enter room 515 rather than his own, which was number 5105, Col Boonlert said.

A Syrian couple inside were awoken by Mr Edwards, who angrily kicked the door when his keycard failed to open it.

The Syrians called reception, asking them to send security.

Around this time, Mr Edwards apparently lost his balance on an external walkway and fell, dying instantly of head trauma.

V Australia released a statement expressing regret for the accident and offering condolences to Mr Edwards’ family and friends.

Mr Edwards’s body was taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital for examination.

qfcabinreturns
17th Feb 2010, 10:50
Well done chico...Nice conjecture..that will really make his folks feel better..thanks for posting!

ChicoG
17th Feb 2010, 15:22
Well done chico...Nice conjecture..that will really make his folks feel better..thanks for posting!

Conjecture huh? Ever been out drinking in Phuket until 3:30 am and got "confused"? I've had to get many a drunken tourist home late at night in that neighbourhood. Why does saying it's a tragic, probably drink-related, accident rattle your cage?

The publicly available report in the Phuket Gazette is probably the one that will be transcribed in the Australian press by journalists who have never set foot in Thailand, so perhaps your claims of "conjecture" would be better aimed in their direction.

cym
17th Feb 2010, 20:52
My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Regardless of the circumstances a human being is no longer with us that had real expectations of his future

Sleep well mate

CaniwiFlyGal
22nd Feb 2010, 05:42
Very, very sad - RIP hun.

And yes I concur poor guy may have had a few too many drinks. We've all been there and/or seen it with our own eyes. We Cabin Crew like to drink until we can't walk most of the time and on those walkways ... you can see how it could happen. I fell asleep in a lagoon in Fiji after a few too many drinks and probably wouldn't have woken up if it wasn't for my crew member ... fortunately taught me a lesson and one drink, if any, is enough now.

student88
26th Feb 2010, 21:35
To be honest Chico you could have worded it a bit better. The way you've written it sounds very off the cuff. Imagine you have a family member die this way, you go on a forum to read what people have said about his death and read "It sounds as if the poor boy was a bit drunk, and may have tried to get into the wrong room the long way round."

Not exactly the best generalisation of someone's death.

Delphic
1st Mar 2010, 21:00
What's with this attack on Chico? He didn't write the article, he simply quoted it. It wasn't a personal attack on the CC who fell, so stop shooting the messenger.

ChicoG
2nd Mar 2010, 11:47
QFCABINRETURNS,

I find the death of this young man under such circumstances very tragic, but then I've seen so many senseless alcohol related deaths in Thailand. Perhaps you are reading more into it than I meant.

My comment with the Phuket Gazette report were based on the fact that the police reported that he was drunk after a night out, and that I have stayed in that very hotel, so it was an observation knowing that (a) a bunch of young Aussies were partying in Kata/Karon and (b) the massive hotel, with lots of walkways, is not very well lit at night.

I've know that particular stretch of turf intimately since 1988, and watched the hotel being built. It is a monstrosity.

Here's an incident that happened not to far away from the Arcadia, only a week later, and probably also alcohol related:

CHALONG, PHUKET: A young British man and a Thai man were killed in a motorcycle crash in Phuket early this morning. A Danish man was seriously injured.

Police found the bodies of Adam William Menagh, 22, and Chainarong Wathana, 24, lying on Chao Fa East Road opposite Soi Thanoothep in Chalong at 5:30am.

Mr Menagh was in Phuket for Muay Thai training at the Suwit Gym in Chalong. He was due to fight at one of the boxing stadiums in Patong later this week.

A Danish man who was riding on the same bike as Mr Menage was also seriously injured.

A passerby took the Dane to Phuket International Hospital, where he remains in intensive care.

Police think Mr Menagh’s motorcycle may have crossed lanes as he headed towards Phuket Town, colliding head on with Mr Chainarong’s bike.

Mr Chainarong, from Phang Nga province, was heading towards Chalong.

Both men were killed instantly from head trauma after the bikes collided at high speed.

Neither was wearing a helmet when the bodies were found.

The investigation continues.

Given the location, direction and the time of day, I would surmise based on my experience of the island that the young Europeans were also on their way home from "a night out", probably in the same tourist area in which young Nathan enjoyed his last night.

It is also senseless and tragic, and such accidents are publicised, then perhaps people will learn to drink in moderation.

Your churlish criticism only serves to dilute that important message.