PDA

View Full Version : The Professionals and a Puma

Airborne Aircrew
14th Feb 2010, 21:38
I'm watching The Professionals, good old CI5... It's an interesting look back into the 1970s...

Imagine my surprise to see the Puma in episode 10 of the first series entitled Stakeout. They showed insignia on the back of the co-pilot's broom cupboard that was 230 Sqn's and the Sqn badge on the shoulder of the Co was 230's too. Interestingly, the breaker panel was on the side of the broom cupboard.

Does anyone here know/remember anything about this? The aircraft was always shown at night at night so I didn't see which one it was.

barnstormer1968
15th Feb 2010, 09:33
Did you watch this on VHS/DVD on on TV?
I have this on video, and can try to look it up if you think it would help.

FlapJackMuncher
15th Feb 2010, 13:13
Currently being rerun on BFBS, weekly.

Airborne Aircrew
15th Feb 2010, 15:46
I *cough* downloaded *cough* the entire series after I heard it was being shown back there in the UK and I am watching and episode when I get the chance.

I am just curious as to which airframe it might have been and whether I might have known any of the crew at the time.

ShyTorque
16th Feb 2010, 11:31
I don't know the date or airframe but it was either 1978 or '79 and a 230 sqn task. Dave W****g was the pilot. He apparently amazed the film crew by flying the helicopter and getting his lines correct on the first take.

He was known as "Only five minutes more W****g" for ages after that.

Airborne Aircrew
16th Feb 2010, 15:04
Shy:

Thanks... That's a part of the "mystery"... I flew with Dave in Belize several years later... :ok: Now the remaining question is did the airframe make across to 33 Sqn or 1563 Flt at any point subsequently.

ShyTorque
16th Feb 2010, 17:44
For the airframe number and more detail I can only suggest you contact the man himself via the 230 Sqn Association and ask him to look in his logbook, then take it from there. :)

Airborne Aircrew
16th Feb 2010, 22:15
See, I don't care what everyone else says about you, you're alright.... :}

Thanks again...