PDA

View Full Version : G1000 Magnetometer Failure DME ARC

Matt101
14th Feb 2010, 13:06
Firstly sorry about the abstract title and the somewhat abstract question that may follow.

Probably a very simple question, but I wanted someone of more hours to confirm/clarify.

I have to admit to being a child of the G1000 in my flight training - a lovely bit of kit but when bits fail and start to look like analogue displays, to someone not used to them it takes a bit more thinking (another debate there I suppose).

In this case the Magnetometer has failed and so my HSI is no longer giving heading info and acting somewhat like a CDI whilst I am flying a DME arc.

No RMI in this case (my preference for following the arc)

I am assuming in this case I will be using a combination of the Standby Compass/CDI to fly my arc. The course line being straight up now and me turning the course knob to offset the CDI 10 degrees every time I turn in 10 degrees, then just following turn and twist as per normal and adjusting based on the DME indications.

My question is my assumption of how this will look correct? as it is a failure I have not had thrown at me in the FNPTII yet but one that is a favourite of my instructor tomorrow!

If that makes any sense at all.............. :}

welliewanger
15th Feb 2010, 11:31
Hey Matt,
Well done for working this out. You're absolutely right, that's "the old way" of doing it. Just don't forget that if you're using the compass it'll wobble around while you're turning. Stick to rate 1 turns and count the degrees in your head (3 per second)

Good luck in the stimulator!

thetimesreader84
15th Feb 2010, 13:26
When established on the arc, you can also use single needle tracking to maintain the correct radius. Maintain heading until the single needle has "dropped" to 5deg behind the wing, then turn 10deg into the arc. Continue untill you are done.

Sorry for the vague answer, I can demonstrate it a lot easier than I can explain it.

DME Arcs... not very arc-like eh?

hope the sim went well. Use whatever method your instructor advocates, and that you are happy with. Don't necessarily listen to anonymous people on internet forums (not that welliewanger and myself aren't giving genuine answers you understand - just be careful!)

TTR

Matt101
15th Feb 2010, 14:28
Thanks very much for the replies guys. Sim was out of action today anyway for an inspection so still to look forward to.

I quite like DME arcs to be honest - I don't like things failing though so quite looking forward to flying an aircraft that isn't as dodgy as this sim seems to be (far too many engine failures IMO!)

Anyway back to the books!

thetimesreader84
15th Feb 2010, 18:29
Yes, DME arcs are good. I like to have to think while i'm flying, it keeps me awake!

You will find when you start flying professionally (it will happen - eventually!) that you are frequently expected to fly aircraft with varying degrees of unserviceabilities. Also, things do fail in flight. Thats what the MEL is for, to provide guidance as to whether you can accept an unserviceability or not.

You will also find that the aircraft you fly in any sim is the worst, most unserviceable aircraft in history. So many failures, each time you get airborne!

TTR

Matt101
16th Feb 2010, 18:37
Yes, DME arcs are good. I like to have to think while i'm flying, it keeps me awake!

You will find when you start flying professionally (it will happen - eventually!) that you are frequently expected to fly aircraft with varying degrees of unserviceabilities. Also, things do fail in flight. Thats what the MEL is for, to provide guidance as to whether you can accept an unserviceability or not.

You will also find that the aircraft you fly in any sim is the worst, most unserviceable aircraft in history. So many failures, each time you get airborne!

TTR

Agreed - and when you are used to everything going wrong it certainly focusses your attention.

Thankfully for me the professional flying has a start date - in a fortunate position with an airline in the gulf - so I'll get plenty more failures thrown into my training soon no doubt.

Thanks again guys - Sim is still down though so "to the books" for a few more days!

Matt