PDA

View Full Version : 30 Squadron Association Annual Reunion 16/17th April 2010

Chugalug2
13th Feb 2010, 19:03
Heads up for all ex-members of 30 Squadron! The 2010 re-union will be at the 30 Squadron HQ, RAF Lyneham 17th April 2010. A very informal get together kicks off proceedings the evening before at the Swindon Hilton (just off the M4). The culmination is a formal dinner on the 17th at RAF Lyneham. Details are on the Association website, together with Application Form for Membership at:
30 Squadron RAF Association "RAF Lyneham's Premier Association" (http://www.30squadronassociation.com/index.html)
Contrary to info there though, forms for the re-union should be obtained from the Chairman, Wing Commander Tony Main at : "[email protected]"
He particularly hopes that more of those who operated the Hercules K model can make it to the re-union, as evidently we are under represented! Let us hope that he does not live to rue that wish! This is a special year for the Squadron and the Association (95th and 25th Anniversaries respectively) and sadly may be our last but one reunion at Lyneham (unless anyone knows different ;-). So don't delay as time is of the essence. Remember the motto; Ventre A Terre!

Chugalug2
17th Feb 2010, 17:27
Additional to the OP, the Association has negotiated a reduced rate at the Swindon Hilton for the nights of 16th and/or 17th April, including free car parking. A coach ride can also be booked between the hotel and RAF Lyneham and return for the Formal Dinner. You can use your own car for the AGM and reunion at the Squadron earlier. Full details from the Chairman as per OP.

EESDL
21st Feb 2010, 11:58
Now there's an idea.....go and get pi55ed on 30 Sqn?
can't remember the last time I did that.................exactly!

Chugalug2
19th Apr 2010, 19:30
Back home in Chug Towers after a most enjoyable celebration of 95 years of 30 Squadron and 25 years of its Association. The generations spanned from the rear gunner of a Fairey Battle to the 22 year old loadie that I sat next to at the formal dinner. Now that's continuity! No flying despite azure cloudless skies. I guess we're all paying for Gordo using anti-terrorist legislation in the latest Icelandic Wars! Despite my forebodings regarding the chairman activating the tightly knit bunch known as the "K men", all went brilliantly with a meet and greet the night before at the Swindon Hilton, a visit to the Squadron HQ with an eye opening peep at the real world of AT operations from the boss, an open air barbecue, a hastily rearranged programme on Terra Firma and of course best bibs and tuckers in the evening with 135 attending the dinner. With an ever contracting Air Force, next year will be the last re-union at RAF Lyneham, on 9th April 2011, and perhaps the last opportunity to revisit your own heroic past there. If you served on 30 Squadron, at any time, in any capacity, then join the Association if you haven't done so already. We attracted a further 56 new members this year, but the chairman merely says "More! We must have more!". Evidently there is supposed to be a bunker somewhere with a map pinned to a table over which he pushes various numbered blocks croupier fashion, but it is only a rumour so far. I did hear something about "Tomorrow the World", though! More info on:
30 Squadron RAF Association "RAF Lyneham's Premier Association" (http://www.30squadronassociation.com)
Come and join us. See you next year?