PDA

View Full Version : Chinook

on21
12th Feb 2010, 15:27
Just seen a Chinook over Longton, back doors open and landed in Lanc's Police HQ at Hutton. Lifted a couple of minute’s later and headed north, last seen turning towards Warton. I don't know whether it's unusual but the Chinook was fitted with skids.

minigundiplomat
12th Feb 2010, 15:32
Just seen a Chinook over Longton, back doors open and landed in Lanc's Police HQ at Hutton. Lifted a couple of minute’s later and headed north, last seen turning towards Warton. I don't know whether it's unusual but the Chinook was fitted with skids.

Or possibly ski's?

Airborne Aircrew
12th Feb 2010, 15:43
Or possibly ski's?Off on another "jolly" no doubt... While all those poor troops in the 'stan are having to walk everywhere... Probably those bloody Princes again... :}

on21
12th Feb 2010, 15:47
Are they skids or are they ski's, unusual that’s all. Out of over 1300 photos on Airliner.net I'm struggling to find one that looks similar that’s all. However I'll stand by to be corrected.

Lyneham Lad
12th Feb 2010, 16:06
I don't know whether it's unusual but the Chinook was fitted with skids.

I'll have a glass of whatever you were drinking at the time... :}

Hat, coat, door etc

StopStart
12th Feb 2010, 16:36
Like this?

http://www.airglas.com/photo_album/images/heli14_xl.jpg

TheWizard
12th Feb 2010, 17:31
Or possibly ski's?

NO WAY!!

Damn keyboard missing letters

airborne_artist
12th Feb 2010, 18:03
You sure it wasn't fitted with scuds? Possible, you know....:}

Roadster280
12th Feb 2010, 18:07
I thought the earlier picture was a bit of Photoshop, but apparently not:

http://tri.army.mil/LC/CS/csa/ch47c2.jpg

NutLoose
12th Feb 2010, 18:20
Cloggies often use em, see
Photos: Boeing CH-47D Chinook (414) Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Netherlands---Air/Boeing-CH-47D-Chinook/1598531/M/)

Would imagine in certain parts of Afghanistan in the winter they would come in handy

RetiredSHRigger
12th Feb 2010, 18:49
I vaguely remember seeing a set of skis on the racks in 7s hanger in the early 90s though never fitted them.

Faithless
12th Feb 2010, 19:29
18 Sqn aircraft deploying to EX CLOCKWORK in Bardafoss Norway

:ugh: Shhhh, Don't tell em your name standrews. :hmm:

The Helpful Stacker
12th Feb 2010, 19:37
Ah, those things that used to gather dust in the role equipment building beside 27 Sqn's hanger have been dragged out and dusted down then?

Two's in
12th Feb 2010, 20:55
Even skid equipped helicopters need skis fitted to operate in places like Norway (in the Winter, obviously), otherwise they just sink up to their bellies in the white stuff.

Airborne Aircrew
12th Feb 2010, 22:23
Surely they cause horrible problems on sloping ground... Then again, maybe not... ;)

Melchett01
12th Feb 2010, 22:25
EXERCISE CLOCKWORK eh? They aren't skis or skids - they're damn snowboards!

So no hot tubs or apres skis for you lot then if it's work! ;)

M609
12th Feb 2010, 22:45
Bardafoss

Sacrilege! :ok:

It´s Bardufoss!

M609.....did 7 years in the tower up there!

PICKS135
13th Feb 2010, 06:26
Quote:

Shhhh, Don't tell em your name standrews.

Could be his name is Odiham and his location is standrews:E:E

matkat
13th Feb 2010, 08:11
It could also be Dave in Balmullo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
13th Feb 2010, 08:39
;)

Ref post #1

and landed in Lanc's Police HQ at Hutton.

But why would they be landing in Police HQ ?

Evalu8ter
13th Feb 2010, 09:52
Aaron,
The crews will be generating the maximum training benefit from the transit hours. Not much benefit from plodding along at FL nosebleed (apart from gathering stats) over the UK - hope the crew involved had a successful trip.

Wizard,
You'll find out about the skis when it's your turn for the Chinook crossover!

Good luck to all those UK crews (Ch/Me/AH etc) and CF colleagues involved in Ops today.

NutLoose
13th Feb 2010, 12:22
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif

Ref post #1

Quote:
and landed in Lanc's Police HQ at Hutton.
But why would they be landing in Police HQ ?

To ask directions of course.......:p

M609.....did 7 years in the tower up there!

That'd be Princess Rapunzel then ;)

PICKS135
13th Feb 2010, 14:09
Picture in this thread on UKAR

RAF Chinook with ski's ? (http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=20066)

Faithless
13th Feb 2010, 15:05
Quote:

Shhhh, Don't tell em your name standrews.

Could be his name is Odiham and his location is standrews

:hmm: :ugh: :zzz:

romeo bravo
13th Feb 2010, 15:31
Oh, sorry thought it was GB's entry in the Downhill at the Winter Olympics

c130jbloke
13th Feb 2010, 19:34
Just to add to the mystery, yesterday I saw a chinook go straight over the top of LHR, at about 200' ish headed north. Great to see ( I was # 7 in the line for 09R :bored: ).

It too had the skids, which made me wonder.

If anybody is headed towards ENBO, do tell and I will get the brews on :ok:

TheWizard
14th Feb 2010, 14:11
Aaron,

Wizard,
You'll find out about the skis when it's your turn for the Chinook crossover!

Thanks matey, I can't wait!!
My post was a bit cryptic!! Have seen those skis in action many times!! :)

Evalu8ter
14th Feb 2010, 14:22
Wizard,
Make the most of that nice smooth cab whilst you've still got it.....:}

Deafness and lower back pain awaits...mind you, you won't say "committed" as much......

Cheers

CHINOOKER
14th Feb 2010, 20:10
C130jbloke, For info,the Chinook with the skids on that you saw had just lifted from Feltham and routed into RAF Uxbridge after which it routed to Kinloss....It's one of three similarly fitted for an exercise in Norway!

Dan Gerous
14th Feb 2010, 20:57
A ski fitted Chinook made an emergency landing North of Berwick on Saturday, about a mile short of the border, at Marshall Meadows. It had a dry bollock failure while crusing over the sea, and made it to land, not only missing local primary schools but the main east coast rail line, and landing next to the A1. In what can only be described as superb flying and navigation skills by the pilot, he also landed a short walk from the Marshall Meadows Hotel :ok:

Have a safe onward.

FlapJackMuncher
15th Feb 2010, 13:33
An exercise in Norway?
Why, I thought the only training to be carried out was to be in support of current operations - where it is mostly sandy?. So say the journalists, politicians etc. ;)

minigundiplomat
15th Feb 2010, 15:51
I thought the only training to be carried out was to be in support of current operations - where it is mostly sandy?.

White out/Brown out - same techniques. Only Norway is closer and with an existing base there already, much cheaper.

DADDY-OH!
15th Feb 2010, 21:16
That's all well & good but WHY did it land at Lancashire Police HQ at Hutton? It flew over my house while I was getting in my car, & it looked as though it was following the A59 northbound. 3-4 minutes later, I was passing the HQ when the Wokka lifted from the HQ over the trees & headed north.

If they uplift fuel, they normally land at BAe Warton, Blackpool Airport or Weeton Camp. It was probably on the ground for no more than 2 mins.

Dropping someone off or picking someone up? Who knows?

But Wokka's have operated out of there before when there was a political conference at Blackpool.

Gotta go! Some bloke in a black Omega has just pulled up on my dri.....
:ok:

jindabyne
16th Feb 2010, 19:41
Too much conspiracy theory here Daddy-Oh. If you do not desist, I'll have to report you to the Colonel!!

DADDY-OH!
16th Feb 2010, 20:29
Yipes! Crikey! Sorry about that, Red Leader!

Please give Agent Comb Over my best & an early doors RV is long overdue!

:ok: