PDA

View Full Version : Charity Challenge - Help and Advice sort!

JBL99
12th Feb 2010, 07:28
Dear All, the Company I work for is about to undertake a huge charity event in the South West of the UK. The plan is for 45 teams of people to walk the entire South West Costal path in ONE DAY, that's 633 miles!

This has never been undertaken by one group in one day before. The hope is that the teams will raise £25,000 for Macmillan Cancer Care and Breast Cancer Care.

So why am I posting this? I would love to be able to obtain aerial photos of each of the teams (holding banners and dressed in pink!) around the coastline on this day (weather permitting) but have no experience of aerial photo work. Also, as it's a charity event, I am looking to do this at miminal cost :O. If anyone can provide any help or advice, I'd be very glad to hear from you! Thanks in anticipation.

JBL99

Non-PC Plod
12th Feb 2010, 08:08
No guarantees, but its worth a try - contact RNAS Culdrose, RNAS Yeovilton or RAF St Mawgan. It may be that they have some training sorties going on in the right place at the right time, and they may be able to help out with taking some photos for a good cause.

JBL99
12th Feb 2010, 09:56
Good idea, thanks

SilsoeSid
15th Feb 2010, 13:04
Sorry JBL, can't find any further details of this huge charity event, even on the Macmillan site, but 633 miles in 24hrs seems fairly good going! Averaging 26.4mph for 24hrs?

Even if the distance was divi'd up between the 45 teams and each team walks 14 miles that's only 0.6 mph!

How does it work?

Droopy
15th Feb 2010, 13:44
Surely each of the 45 teams has 14 miles to cover, each team starts at the same time and should do their section in 6-7 hours. Even I could drag my lardy ar$e over that distance in the course of a day

SilsoeSid
17th Feb 2010, 15:07
I find it strange that JBL has posted a request and hasn't come back for 5 days.

Just wondered how this 'huge charity event' worked as there are no further details out there! However, I found someone doing the same walk, but it was going to take them 60 days. (1440 hrs)

JBL99
22nd Feb 2010, 21:14
SilsoeSid, thanks for the comments - I've been a bit tied up with work to keep up with what's been posted - sorry!

Droopy, got it in one! May be I didn't make it clear enough for SilsoeSid?

It has not been tackled yet by any Company or single group of people in one day and we have set a target of £25k for this event, but as a Division of our Company, we already raised about £200K for Breast Cancer Care. Sorry if you don't believe me.

SO, back to the reason for the thread - can any of you help with a couple of hours to take a few aerial shots of any of the teams around the coast line?

PM me if you want more details, and I'll try and get back a bit quicker!

EggWhisk
26th Feb 2010, 18:03
JBL, if you need any help re the photos, I can help you with them. Aviation photographer and newbie CPL(H) ex-Crab so may be able to help with Mil contacts. Not sure how to connect with you, but I understand there is a way for you to send me an e-mail. Hope to be of help. EggWhisk.

SilsoeSid
27th Feb 2010, 08:54
May be I didn't make it clear enough for SilsoeSid?

Sorry, of course when you said...

The plan is for 45 teams of people to walk the entire South West Costal path in ONE DAY, that's 633 miles!

.... I should have realised you meant 45 teams will each walk different parts of the route and not the entire route. There's me thinking it was going to be something like the 10 Tors where all the teams walk the (age grouped) distance.

Sorry to be negative, but to someonewho is way down the field, yet last year completed 26.2 miles in 5 hours twice (London and Snowdon), 13.1 miles in just over 2 hours 4 times, not forgetting the multiple 15+ mile training runs, and then there's the 400m swim, 23km bike and 5 km run triathlon completed in 1.5 hrs, ...

...14 miles in 24 hours doesn't really seem to be that much of a challenge to anyone!

blakmax
27th Feb 2010, 09:09
JBL99

As a member of Lions International and a person who has recently unfortunately developed an avid interest in breast cancer research, I suggest you contact every Lions Club along the route and ask for a donation. You could try Rotary and any other service club.

I once heard of a fellow who rolled a barrel of beer from the brewery to his local and then sold the contents at two quid a pint (the publican swapped the keg for one less agitated) to raise money. Now 45 times 2 quid times the content of a barrel rolled 14 miles or so is a lot of money.

Pity that helicopter pilots don't drink. :}

PM me and I'll make a donation.

Regards

blakmax

JBL99
28th Feb 2010, 15:15
Thanks EggWhisk, I'll send you a pm!

blakmax, good idea. Will see what I can do to contact them - used to be in Round Table myself.

SlisoeSid, thanks for helping with the clarity. Maybe it doesn't seem to be as much of a challenge as the Ten Tors, but to some of my teams, the climb on some of the stretches is fairly daunting (It's not all flat!). The point is to do it in one day and raise loads of cash. I guess we could have made it more difficult if we blindfolded everyone, or tied their legs together!:O

Thanks for all the feedback +ve and -ve!

JBL

SilsoeSid
28th Feb 2010, 16:04
No probs JBL, hope all goes well.

I know the coastal path quite well having walked most of it as a youth with Scouts/Ten Tors trg/Duke of Edinburghs, and it's a great part of the World.

I guess we could have made it more difficult if we blindfolded everyone, or tied their legs together! :O

Or by simply giving a distance to walk that would mean, to achieve the aim, they'd have to walk at a speed greater than 1 mph. ;)

JBL99
28th Feb 2010, 22:00
SilsoeSid,

I'm sorry that you seem to have missed the point of my original thread - all I was asking for was some help in taking some photos of people trying to raise cash for what I, any many others, consider to be a worthy cause.

I was not asking anyone on Pprune to sponsor me or the teams taking part, or to tell me that they weren't really doing anything out of the ordinary. I am not organising it personally, but hoped to support it in a different way be taking some pictures.

If the challenge seems undaunting to you, that's fine, and I respect your opinion, but please let me see if there are people out there who would wish to help and take a few photos.

Thanks for you comments.

SilsoeSid
28th Feb 2010, 23:16
JBL,

I assume you've been in touch with places like the flying clubs at St. Just, Bodmin, Perranporth and Davidstow. I'm sure they'd like to help out.

Anyway, I appear to have got it all wrong;

When I read, The plan is for 45 teams of people to walk the entire South West Costal path in ONE DAY, that's 633 miles!

I was apparently mistaken in thinking that some of the walk would be taking place at night. Silly me!

Penzance 21 March
Sunrise: 06:19
Sunset: 18:38

14 miles in 12 hours, that's the speed greater than 1 mph sorted. :ok:

And should anyone wish to donate;
Steve Gibbs is fundraising for Breast Cancer Care - JustGiving (http://www.justgiving.com/BootsCoastalChallenge)
Macmillan Cancer Support - Boots South West Coastal Path Challenge (http://original.justgiving.com/BootsCoastalWalkChallenge10)

JBL99
1st Mar 2010, 07:59
SilsoeSid, thanks for the post. Hope it's OK to put the links on - appreciate your help!:ok:

JBL

JBL99
15th Mar 2010, 08:05
Just wanted to say a huge thanks to all who have offered their help and support in this little adventure! It's truly humbling to know there are such great people out there.

Thanks also to SilsoeSid for putting the links on here:)

All we need now is the weather to stay fine!!!

Thanks again.

JBL99