PDA

View Full Version : EX RAAF Mirage to fly downunder

herkman
12th Feb 2010, 05:10
Rumours an ex RAAF Mirage pilot, beleived to be flying for Qantas, has bought an almost complete aircraft.

Aims to have it flying

Anyone heard anything more

Regards

Col

BBadanov
12th Feb 2010, 18:54
He has bought Mirage A3-42 at Wangarattta in Victoria. It is written up in the latest edition of "Flightpath".

He will definitely need deep pockets to get a supersonic fighter airborne, plus so many hurdles it may just be impossible. After finding the expertise to do the work and confronting all the airworthiness challenges, he will need a long runway to operate from. Appears that Temora has not been involved at this stage.

JEM60
13th Feb 2010, 10:54
Out of interest, the Swiss have a private 2 seat Mirage flying. If you have deep pockets, you can fly in it.

Arm out the window
13th Feb 2010, 21:03
Who is it?

L J R
14th Feb 2010, 01:55
The Ruski's have some Mig 25s et al for hire .......apparently good fun if you are willing..!

JEM60
14th Feb 2010, 09:49
Arm out window.
Swiss Old Timers Association I believe. There was a very comprehensive article in Aircraft Illustrated a few months ago [now Aircraft Magazine] about it's operation. I will have more info shortly I hope.

GeeRam
14th Feb 2010, 10:21
Out of interest, the Swiss have a private 2 seat Mirage flying. If you have deep pockets, you can fly in it.

This one.

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/images/uploaded-images/2008-10/14/26473.jpg

Members of the public can go one step further and experience the joys of delta flight for themselves. A small sum gains entry to the club Espace Passion, run by the Musée Clin d’Ailes at Payerne, Switzerland. Members can then pay SF11,500 for a Mirage flight or, if they prefer, around SF4,000 for a ride in the club’s Hawker Hunter. Espace Passion is a nonprofit organization staffed by volunteers dedicated to the preservation of military aircraft, and passenger flying helps pay for the upkeep of the aircraft.

Returning the Mirage to the air was a major undertaking. The Mirage last flew with the Swiss air force in 2003, before being handed over to the museum in 2005. Quite apart from the engineering task, around 4,200 hours of paperwork were necessary before the Swiss authorities granted civil certification. The aircraft carried its first passenger on September 16 last year. It is restricted to subsonic operations.

Clin d'Ailes - Muse de l'aviation militaire de Payerne (http://www.clindailes.ch/index.html)

JEM60
14th Feb 2010, 10:33
GEERAM.
Just spent an hour looking for the article, found it, much to my wife's delight [sarcastic cheer from her.....she doesn't do aircraft, except to fly on them], came back on line all triumphant.....to find your post. Beaten AGAIN...Have a nice day. John:):):):):):)

Arm out the window
15th Feb 2010, 06:34
Great photo - they're a beast, all right. I should have put my question better though - do we know who's bought the Aussie one?

Runaway Gun
15th Feb 2010, 11:25
Whoever he is I wish him best of luck.

Anything is possible with enough money, dedication and support.
Lots of Aussies have never seen a Mirage fly, and it would be terrific to get this one airborne.

Union Jack
15th Feb 2010, 12:43
Lots more at http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/404961-mirage-111-wangaratta.html

Jack