PDA

View Full Version : LAN Chile Interview!

Yeager08
11th Feb 2010, 22:21
Hi guys,

First of all I want to thank all of you who have posted so much valuable
information( FlyinOW, chock2chock, and everybody else) on LAN on so many threats.
Based on the postings, private messages and talking to people, I made the decision to come to Chile, convert my certificates and apply to LAN. Today I presented my papers to them and they wanted to interview me tomorrow or Monday.
Unfortunately, I have to come home first to take care of a couple of problems that have to be dealt with asap.
They were very understanding and scheduled me for an interview on March 15th at 0900.

Now I need help with the process. I know that chock2chock posted 2 interview gauges on another post but those are 3 years old. I was wondering if there were any updated gauges out there?

Again, thank you very much for all the info and hopefully there is somebody out there with updated interview gauges.

Y.

BritishGuy
12th Feb 2010, 06:09
Yeager, congrats with the interview. Is knowing Spanish an absolute must for Lan Chile and also, do you know about their pay for FO? What aircraft are they hiring into?

Yeager08
12th Feb 2010, 10:27
British,

Thank you. Spanish is a must!! Right now they are hiring FO for the A320 and B767.
The pay, for what I know is as follows:
Initial (while in ground school) USD$ 1400.00/month. It used to be a 4 month long training but now they are trying to crank them out after 2 months.
After the checkride and basecheck, you are a FO and the first year pay is 80% of your full salary. This 80% depends on your experience and English proficiency, I think.
The 80% comes out to be around USD$3800.00.
The second year they pay you 100%, USD$5000.00.

All this numbers are after taxes and deductions made to your salary. This is what you take home.

I hope this helps.
Good Luck.

Y.

chock2chock
12th Feb 2010, 21:00
:ok: I bet there is little you could do between now and Monday, except not stressing yourself out, and getting some good rest, get all your stuff organized, go do some excersise, dont read to much pprune...:Ei imagine you'll have some more info by now, best of luck.

LAN Airlines jobs, payscales and entry requirements. (http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/jobs/LAN_Airlines)

cosmiccomet
12th Feb 2010, 21:03
Yeager, Are you Chilean???
I sent my resume to [email protected] and Ms Tamara has answered asking my Chileans licenses.

I am Argentinian with FAA's ATPL/ Argentine's ATPL / Peruvian CPL but no Chilean License.
So, my answer was negative and I haven't had any response after that.

Yeager08
13th Feb 2010, 23:54
cosmic,

I believe they don't care where you are from as long as you have chilean commercial license with instrument rating.
I have FAA ATP, so I spent almost a month and 1,000,000.00 pesos to get my chilean rating.

I don't know what to tell you brother, spend the money and get yet another license or try LAN Peru or Argentina.

The best of Luck to you.

Y.

Yeager08
13th Feb 2010, 23:58
chock2chock,

I did rescheduled my interview for March 15th. Today I made it home, US, to take care of some issues and then go back to Santiago to do the interview.

So, there is still time to gather as much info as possible to prepare for it.
Thanks for your help.

Y.

dannyjet
16th Feb 2010, 15:14
I believe those figures are quite higher than what they actually are. Where did you get that info from and when?

Saludos,

pilotobrasil
16th Feb 2010, 16:14
Yaeger, I see you are from Oregon. I was a CFI in Hillsboro and moved down to work in Brazil. Also looked at LAN, but ran out of money for yet another license transfer. How long did it take you to get you Commercial/Instrument there? Good luck with the interview.

dannyjet
17th Feb 2010, 00:17
I did my course in Canada but I´m Chilean. To convalidate the licenses takes some time due to a lot of bureaucracy and errands. You first need to get your medical, then a provisional permit to fly and go to a flight school. The scheduling for flight and oral checks (taken here separately) are normally for two or three weeks. I´d say two months to get everything done is good timing. Three or four months is what you should more or less expect.

Do consider now that it´s summer here so a lot of inspectors are on vacation, along with the current fact that there is a lack of inspectors, not to mention the high volume of pilots renewing/getting/convalidating their licenses because of the current movement at LAN.

Spanish is definitely a must.

Saludos,

cosmiccomet
17th Feb 2010, 05:55
I don't think it is gonna be an easy task to convert ICAO licences in Chilean ones if the holder is not Chilean citizen without any Chilean airline sponsorship.

DeltaGolf
17th Feb 2010, 13:44
well , convert YOU CAN convert, then is up to the company if they want to sponsor you so you can work legally in Chile..

Schickfuss
17th Feb 2010, 14:42
So the unemployees from usa are looking to LAN ,hahahahahahahahahahaha so now we exist since you need us to get hours and expirience in our fleets ,I be glad to fly with you oregon boy ,so you can taste what happens with the latinos when they croos the usa border trying to look for a job ,we don not want gringos here ,so be awere ,USA pilots aer not welcome!!! GO HOME

I would find you who you are ,we do not want gringos here ,I am Instructor for LAN ,i would chase you like a rat like you gringos are

skydude58
17th Feb 2010, 16:11
Chucha madre chileno culeado, it's crappy airlines like yours that pay dirt, and overwork their people that is bringing this industry down, and if if you are hiring gringos..it's cause you don't have qualified pilots in your country to do the job.

Yeager08
17th Feb 2010, 16:23
First of all, you only need to be sponsored by a Chilean company if you are convalidating you ATP. If you are getting your commercial, then you are good to go. You'll have go through the process (painful and costly).

Schickfuss,

I'm sorry to hear you hold so much hatred against gringos. How can you accuse them of racism if you are a racist yourself.
Just so you know, I am Chilean. I live in the US now and I'm looking forward to come back to Chile working for LAN.
Hopefully we'll meet in Santiago on more friendly terms.

Y.

PPRuNe Towers
17th Feb 2010, 19:00
Shickfuss? Demented racist or just normally helpful but maybe very disappointed after his attempt to become an expat moving in on another part of the world.

The Middle East, Qatar, last October to be precise:

I did the interview last week ,50 questions ,my test was number 11 ,TODA?ASDA?actions at V1 with an engine failure,virga ,where is hail most encounter?temperature at the troposphere? what does the blood transports? if you loose the rwy while circling what do you do?CAT I MINS mda and rvr,altocumulus castellatus are indication of? with ISA what is the temp at 10000? what happens if you move cg from fwd to aft?what happens to a clogged pitot tube while you descend ? TAS and mach what happens in a descend ? after a short rest the interview ,about qatar? why qatar ? demandig captain ? have someone misinterpret you ? means of effective communications on the cockpit .then the sim was in A330 6 survivors ,TO rwy 27L heathrow ,2 ILS no AP/AT/FD ,after all they tell us to wait 2 weeks ,but I just received the mail that I have failed so good luck to everybody ongoing

dannyjet
17th Feb 2010, 19:01
@skydude58

Actually there is plenty of qualified pilots in Chile. LAN goes by a term that I can't recall at this moment that states they look for qualified local human resources before glancing over the border for pilots. There are Chilean pilots qualified for the job, very good ones too. Now, LAN having a big demand for pilots... that´s a different story. But it´s a given they will look for nationals first. Why bother to sponsor someone? Specially when DEC is not what they are looking for.

Maybe shickfuss didn´t express it the best way but what he says it´s true. Reading this thread didn´t make me feel very well until I knew Yeager is Chilean. Otherwise, it kind of sucks to see outsiders getting jobs in Chile when there are qualified pilots here. If the local resource is depleted, only THEN I would find it OK. Let´s be fair.

Oh, just so you know skydude58, LAN is far from being a crappy airline. Bringing the industry down? They weren´t really affected by the economic recession and it´s one of the first companies starting to grow once again in the western hemisphere. Up there where you guys are, it´s still all ****ty. With your attitude you are bringing yourself down. Have a good one.

Saludos,

FlyingOW
17th Feb 2010, 21:38
Schickfuss,

I sincerely hope you are not an instructor with LAN and that you were blowing off some steam after a failed attempt at QR! It's just that kind of xenophobic attitude and poor level of English that gives us "latinos" a bad rep overseas.

You are not doing us any favours posting BS like that, not to mention that your anger towards Yeager was completely unfounded as he is Chilean and has as much a right as the next man at an opportunity with LAN.

OW

PS. Good luck boy and girls applying to LAN, we aren't all twats and I for one welcome quality applicants as unfortunately standards have slipped substantially as growth at whatever the cost has become the order of the day.

PPS. Skydude58 you are just as bad as him with that rather obnoxious retort:mad:.:ugh::=

Air-fan
18th Feb 2010, 05:37
Ow is right: Do not spread anger and frustation here. It is hard to be jobless, but just wish the best for the lucky ones who found a new opportunity. Have a nice day !

chileno 777
19th Feb 2010, 02:55
I totally disagree with the words used by Schickfuss but in a certain way he is right. As a matter of fact in USA one must have the residence permit to get a pilot job, in Brazil (and many other countries) you must be a national to get a pilot job…why in Chile is different? Take into consideration that there are plenty of good and qualified Chilean pilots. Unfortunately hiring expats lower the pilot salaries in Chile since many of the foreign pilots are willing to work for less money and when they get the hrs or the situation improves in their home country they move out.
What I think would be fair is Lan Chile allowed by law to hire only Chilean nationals or foreign with the residence permit!

By the way what really drives me crazy are the expats asking if Spanish (actually Castellano) is required to work in Chile…common!!!:ugh: Why nobody asks if English is a requirement to work in USA or Australia, German in Germany, Portuguese in Portugal or Japanese in Japan??? :*

potrozo
26th Feb 2010, 01:30
I'am Chilean with 4.000TT would I be consider for DEC at Lan Chile and if they hire me on the Airbus how long before they send me to the 767?

Yeager08
26th Feb 2010, 17:10
Potroso,

LAN Chile is not hiring DEC. They are hiring FO for the A320 and B676. That's all.

Y.

Immigrant
26th Feb 2010, 21:19
Why nobody asks if is a requirement ....... Japanese in Japan???

For your information <chileno 777> No Body asking Japanese in Japan for foreigners... :8

Buy the way, Copa just came from Road show in Chile and brougth branch of Chilean DEC's for the interview ... :rolleyes:

Shall we kick their as...ss, ... :confused:

You never know where are you gonna be tomorrow :=

PS
But to be completely objective, our neighbors from the north, keep us out of their market to protect their wages and coming here to destroy our hope for any increasement. Long time ago I had in my mind an idea that should to be some law established on level of ICAO or IATA or whatever.. to regulate reciprocity.. if some country do not allow(or make it really hard) to contract foreigner pilots for any reason...... pilots of those countries should not be allowed to be contracted by any other countries.

We need a global economy and not a Check Valve economy... :D

chileno 777
26th Feb 2010, 23:39
our neighbors from the north, keep us out of their market to protect their wages and coming here to destroy our hope for any increasement. Long time ago I had in my mind an idea that should to be some law established on level of ICAO or IATA or whatever.. to regulate reciprocity.. if some country do not allow(or make it really hard) to contract foreigner pilots for any reason...... pilots of those countries should not be allowed to be contracted by any other countries.

Very well said...i could not agree more.:D

CHIPIFLY
18th Mar 2010, 19:56
do you know if you have to pay for the type rating in Copa or LAN?? Or they wil discount whatever money every month from your salary.

Thanks

Immigrant
18th Mar 2010, 21:43
if you have to pay for the type rating in Copa

In Copa definitely NOT :ok:

I will correct my answer...if you go through the Normal way...:O

CHIPIFLY
19th Mar 2010, 17:56
Thanks man:ok:

AlespeedyGonzalez
17th Jan 2011, 02:51
Hola queria saber como te fue en la entrevista de Lan.. yo soy chileno vivo en New Zealand y tambien soy piloto comercial. estoy viajando a chile a convertir mis licencia. para despues postular a LAN.

queria preguntarte donde fuiste a presentar tus papeles para postular a Lan??

y en que establecimiento fuiste a convertir tu Licensia y como cuanto tuviste que gastar en dinero?

gracias . si me pudieras responder a mi email seria genial.

[email protected]

Atte.

Speedy => :}

bcqc
29th Jan 2011, 00:19
Chicos,
I sent my documents to HR in Santiago and got an invitation to write the exams, do a sim evaluation and interviews. I'm a lowtimer and done my licences in Canada, speak native Spanish but am not Chilean. Can anyone tell me about the hiring process and those exams, sim and interview. Also will I need to convert to a Chilean licence? They did not mention it in their email info. Any pointers are appreciated... Gracias a todos!!

capt_j
29th Jan 2011, 00:22
Did you apply via the website, or did you email your stuff someplace?

The website now only shows openings in Peru, with "ciudana equitoriana" and Argentina, Argentine passport required.

bcqc
29th Jan 2011, 00:49
A guy I know from my flying club years
back gave me an HR's agent's email, so I sent my info there but also uploaded my stuff on the website. If it says what it says than it was changed just lately. Are you also in the process? got info?

capt_j
29th Jan 2011, 00:53
I haven't heard anything. I've been flying corporate for years and I'm a gringo, so I doubt I'm high on their list. But I love Latin America, I would be happy to go and never come back.

capt_j
29th Jan 2011, 01:02
Todavia en la pagina "Trabajar en LAN" se escribe "Informamos a ustedes que LAN no contrata ni realiza procesos de selección a través de correo electrónico."

Tiene la llave magica :D

bcqc
29th Jan 2011, 05:40
No sé que decirte. No creo que solo el hecho de conocer a este Chico pudó hacer que me llamaran pa entrevistar. Tienes mas experiencia, me parece raro que no te dejan ni siquiera cargar el cv en el sitio para que lo revisaran.
Conoces alguien dentro?

capt_j
29th Jan 2011, 16:56
No, no conozco nadie. Y tambien soy viejo; pero espero para lo mejor.

Mucha suerte para usted! :)

KRUGERFLAP
30th Jan 2011, 18:38
Listado de avisos | Oportunidades laborales | Lan Airlines (http://www.lan.bumeran.cl/aplicantes/a_listadopostings.ngmf)

Argentina
Pilotos Argentina, Buenos Aires 17-12
LAN ARGENTINA requiere contratar Pilotos Requisitos: • Licencia de Piloto de Transporte de Línea Area o Licencia Comercial de Primera Clase de Avión con las siguientes Habilitaciones: Vuelo Noc

Ecuador
Pilotos Ecuador, Otro 21-01
LAN Ecuador solicita COMANDANTE y PRIMER OFICIAL Requisitos: -Nacionalidad: Ecuatoriana -Base Operacional Guayaquil -Pasaporte y visa vigente a EE.UU. (indispensable) -Edad máxima: 55 años pa

bcqc
31st Jan 2011, 03:03
Anybody here been invited or better, has written the tests and did the sim evaluation? Please advise, would have a few Q's? Cheers

bcqc
2nd Feb 2011, 19:29
Chicos!! Seguramente some of you have info!!!

capt_j
2nd Feb 2011, 19:33
Solo oigamos los chapulines :)

bcqc
12th Feb 2011, 16:55
Indeed all we're hearing here is echo...:) Come on colegas...
Info about the LAN exms and interview process...

mlindb
13th Feb 2011, 07:29
This information was posted by user cosmiccomet in another LAN thread, and is very accurate:

"As far as I know LAN Airlines (Chile) is recruiting First Officers only.

Selection process:
-68 questions based in the ASA FAA ATPL prep
-68 questions based in the ASA FAA IFR prep
-IFR sim evaluation in a Flight Training Device, no FD or AP either.
-Psycological evaluation
-Personal Interview
-Medical

After been positive, you would have to take an ATPL (written only) and English ICAO Level exams with the Chilean Aviation Authority.

LAN will arrange the dates but you will have to pay the exam fees.

Training would be in Santiado de Chile. During that period LAN will provide housing.

After check out, the housing is in your own.

Salary depends on your flight time, with yours 8,500 hrs it will be full FO salary. I don't have the exact number but it should be around U$D 4,000 pocket money per 14 salaries per year.

Roster is usually 8 days OFF per month but only 4 of them will be consecutive.

Good luck."

I will only add a minor detail: the psychological evaluation comes right after the ATP tests; and then, if successful, the simulator. At least it was like that when I did it.

CX888
26th Feb 2011, 04:50
hey guys what are LANchile requirements to apply??? I mean TT thanks

Joshua G
12th Feb 2013, 05:36
Are you working for LAN now?
Is that true that they hired with less than 500 hours?

cosmiccomet
12th Feb 2013, 12:15
They are hiring with less than 200 hrs...but you have to have one of the nacionalies allowed by the Inmigration Authority of the respective AOC country.
For instance for LAN Peru the applicant should have a Pacto Andino citizenship.

Joshua G
13th Feb 2013, 04:45
did you get the job yeager?
what are the hours required? do they hired foreigners?

semperfubar
3rd Sep 2015, 20:25
They have a need of 45 FO for A320s, since you need to speak Spanish, I won't bother to translate the requirements below. And yes, they will probably start with Chilean nationals as they should, first....Though at present there doesn't appear to be any restriction on foreigners, you will probably have to validate to get a chancec(arduous, do all written and flight tests again)

here is the link http://bit.ly/1WQmqkK

Good luck

Job Title: Primer Oficial Chile (Piloto) - Chile
Job description:
LATAM AIRLINES GROUP busca incorporar para su Gerencia de Operaciones Chile, Primeros Oficiales (con o sin habilitacion 320) con base en Santiago de Chile
La misión del cargo es desempeñarse como miembro de la tripulación, en el puesto de Primer Oficial y en el material de vuelo asignado, cumpliendo con los deberes y obligaciones que la propia empresa y la autoridad aeronáutica disponen
Las funciones específicas del cargo son operar las aeronaves de la compañía según lo dispuesto en el Manual de Operaciones de la empresa y la autoridad aeronáutica.

Requisitos:
Licencia de Piloto Comercial
Habilitación IFR Vigente
Competencia Lingüística OACI 4 o superior
Acreditar horas de vuelo totales, con certificado emitido por la DGAG
Hablar Español (requisito indispensable)
PTLA Vigente
Pasaporte Vigente

Condiciones:
Tipo de contrato: Indefinido
Jornada: Completa

Ratherbdying
17th Sep 2015, 15:32
Hey! I am mexican and 320 type rated, filled my application but did not got a reponse, do you know if they are still hiring foreigners? Also, do I need the chilean atpl or an icao one is fine?
Saludos!

semperfubar
19th Sep 2015, 21:58
I believe you will need a chilean CPL at minimum with IFR, I am not sure if they are hiring foreigners at present...though I know they have in the past. I applied on the 3rd of Sept. and still haven't heard back...though that is not unusual, they have already gone through about 200 applicants...and can be quite picky.
Good luck

chileno 777
20th Sep 2015, 23:26
Also applied beginning of Sept and have not heard anything from them yet. See that I am not the only one in this situation. :(

Chilean, FAA CPL/IFR 1800 TT (1600 Turboprops)

Good luck to everyone who applied!

semperfubar
30th Sep 2015, 19:16
Heard anything?