PDA

View Full Version : Pilots NOT Drunk

hichachoc
10th Feb 2010, 22:20
Passengers left waiting for hours on plane, airliner blames Saints parade | wwltv.com | New Orleans News, Local News, Breaking News, Weather | News (http://www.wwltv.com/news/Passengers-stranded-on-NOLA-tarmac-for-hours-airliner-blames-Saints-parade-83996162.html)

NEW ORLEANS - Angry, frustrated, and confused--those are just a few of the lingering emotions being felt by close to 100 United Airlines passengers still stranded in New Orleans.
Their packed flight to Los Angeles was supposed to leave at 7:18pm Tuesday evening, but after spending 3 hours on the plane, flight #263 never took off.

“The flight that they rescheduled us to doesn’t leave until 2:30 or 3pm [Wednesday] afternoon,” said Dwight Webster, a passenger trying to get back home to Oakland, California. “So all in all it will be 24 hours before I get home.”

Passengers say they were left waiting because the plane’s pilots were more than 2.5 hours late. According to United Airlines, passengers were free to move on and off the plane while it was parked at the gate. The airliner says the reason for the pilots' late arrival was due to heavy traffic as a result of the Saints parade.

"The van that was supposed to pick up the pilots of the plane was accidentally misdirected and then caught up in the huge amount of traffic due to the Super Bowl celebration in New Orleans,” said Megan McCarthy, United Airlines spokesperson. “The pilots eventually had to make their own way to the airport, which took a very long time and delayed them severely (at one point they had to walk a long distance...to get to the van).”

Once the pilots boarded, however, some passengers began accusing them of being drunk. :ugh::ugh::ugh:
[/LEFT]

“I didn’t see blood shot eyes, but he looked kind of staggery, a little tipsy,” said passenger Jaime Roberts. “He had a very rude attitude.”

Photos snapped by one passenger show a Jefferson Parish Sheriff's deputy on board interviewing people after one first-class passenger, coincidentally a pilot himself, called 9-1-1 for fear the pair of on-duty pilots were intoxicated.

"In terms of the accussations of them being drunk, it isn't true," said a stern McCarthy. The airline spokesperson adamantly denies the allegations and points to the findings of law enforcement authorties who were called to the scene.

According to passengers, the deputies did not perform a breathalyzer test, but eventually concluded the pilots were not under any influence.“Allegations into the original complaint were determined to be un-founded,” :ok::ok::ok:said Sgt. Larry Dyess, spokesman for the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office.

"We were kind of unsure whether to be on the plane or not,” said Paul Childs, a passenger from Los Angeles. “Some people had gotten off already and then we decided we'll sit down there and then I heard other passengers saying I don't feel comfortable with this, we want [the pilot] to take a breathalyzer test and then I saw the pilot stand up and said, ‘we're done, call United---we don't like these allegations, we're not flying.’"

McCarthy is giving a different reason for the cancelled flight.

"By the time the pilots arrived at the airport, the flight crew that was standing by on the plane was 'past their duty time', which means that they cannot fly because they have been on the clock too long,” said McCarthy. “Thus, the flight was cancelled."

By midnight, after passengers had picked up their luggage from the baggage claim area, they still appeared to be stranded at the airport.

“We have probably about 100 people and nobody knows where to go, nobody knows what to do,” said Tom Baker, a resident of Los Angeles.

Baker says United Airlines officials told passengers that a shuttle had been arranged to pick everyone up in order to bring them to a nearby Ramada Hotel. Passengers were provided a hotel voucher for the Ramada, but the shuttle never arrived —forcing passengers to pay their own way there.

“We missed the [Saints] parade and still now have to find a taxi to get wherever we’re going,” said Webster. “I’m a little annoyed right now.”

L337
11th Feb 2010, 10:21
If you follow the link and then read the comments below from the great and glorious general public, it may make your hair curl.

They accuse the pilots of being drunk. The pilots walked off. They were left stranded. Now they are complaining. You have to laugh and wonder what the world is coming to.

Scumbag O'Riley
11th Feb 2010, 11:04
.......the great and glorious general public.......Not sure whether this ranks above or below 'Self Loading Freight' :O

Final 3 Greens
11th Feb 2010, 14:02
L337

If you had read the linked article thoroughly, you might have noticed....

Photos snapped by one passenger show a Jefferson Parish Sheriff's deputy on board interviewing people after one first-class passenger, coincidentally a pilot himself, called 9-1-1 for fear the pair of on-duty pilots were intoxicated.

L337
11th Feb 2010, 15:50
If you had read the linked article thoroughly, you might have noticed....

I did read it thoroughly. Thank you. And I did notice.....

The article says he was a PILOT, not an AIRLINE PILOT, pretty big difference.

A bit like calling for a doctor on a flight. You never know what sort of doctor you might find.

Lastly, if accused of being drunk, I will immediately exit the plane and get formal FAA drug/alcohol testing -my career just became more important than "your" flight.

Final 3 Greens
11th Feb 2010, 16:22
L337

Just admit your post was wrong.

You said the public accused the pilots of being drunk, whereas it was a pilot.

The last time I looked, only a small proportion of the people are pilots.

Now back to the pointy end fora with you :}

call100
11th Feb 2010, 16:51
Final 3 Greens...I think you should read it again yourself.....Although it was the passenger who was a 'Pilot' that called 911 the others were also concerned....
Once the pilots boarded, however, some passengers began accusing them of being drunkand here....

We were kind of unsure whether to be on the plane or not,” said Paul Childs, a passenger from Los Angeles. “Some people had gotten off already and then we decided we'll sit down there and then I heard other passengers saying I don't feel comfortable with this, we want [the pilot] to take a breathalyzer test and then I saw the pilot stand up and said, ‘we're done, call United---we don't like these allegations, we're not flying
Just in the interests of fairness....You understand..:)

L337
11th Feb 2010, 16:52
A quote directly from the article. 6th paragraph.

Once the pilots boarded, however, some passengers began accusing them of being drunk.

I would argue that "some passengers" is plural.

:)

Final 3 Greens
11th Feb 2010, 17:03
From the Oxford dictionary

accuse
· v. charge with an offence or crime. Ø (accuse someone of) claim that someone has done something wrong.

By calling 911, the pilot/passenger claimed accused the pilots.

I put it to you that the rest of the pax made comments.

Whatever the semantics, pretty poor show by the airline in arranging crew transport, if the article is correct.

thepotato232
11th Feb 2010, 19:06
"...but he looked kind of staggery, a little tipsy,” said passenger Jaime Roberts. “He had a very rude attitude.”This part kills me. He just spent five unpaid hours in traffic trying to get to work and fly your arse to LA, you ungrateful twit.

The fact that the pax who called 911 was identified as a pilot almost certainly means he was NOT an airline pilot. An airline pilot would have confronted the crew, called the company and not the cops, and would NEVER have self-identified as the tool who got a flight cancelled with a baseless claim. If I had a nickel for every time an all-knowing "pilot" pax flipped out because I hadn't performed a run-up on my turboprop, or was attempting something as crazy as a one-engine taxi... seriously, there's nothing worse than an aviation hypochondriac with an inflated sense of his own knowledge.

Since drunk pilots make for such a sensational story in the media, I've already written my speech to be delivered over the PA the day one of my pax has this flash of brilliance. I'm looking forward to explaining in no uncertain terms that our flight has been cancelled, we're waiting for the cops to exonerate the accused, and that some joker has just ruined the day of everybody on the plane.

Scumbag O'Riley
11th Feb 2010, 22:52
That's just being silly. Anyway, yer not a real pilot cos you've got a wheel under yer nose.;)

thepotato232
15th Feb 2010, 15:16
Jets are for hot tubs, O'Riley. :}