PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed please

munners455
10th Feb 2010, 20:55
Hi guys

I'm currently going through my PPL training, paying for it lesson by lesson when I can afford it. (Decided against a loan after reading various other threads).

I am currently an Engineer for a rail company which is fairly well
paid, decent hours, etc but incredibly boring. Previous to my current
job, I was an Airframe/Propulsion Technician in the RAF for 6 years.
(I finished my A level's with good grades but decided against going in
as an EngO so I could get hands on engineering experience).

I would like advice on what to do once I have completed my PPL? Be
safe in the knowledge that I have achieved my dream of being able to
fly myself and, enjoy it as a leisure pursuit whilst the economic
situation hopefully improves? Or go for gold and commit thousands of
pounds for further flight training to gain CPL, ATPL and hopefully a job at the end of it. I don't mind playing the long game, I'd take any flying job just to build hours/experience. That is some distance in the future I know.

Any words of advice or stories of how others have made their way
through training would be much appreciated.

I appreciate no one has a crystal ball.

Many thanks.

Whirlygig
10th Feb 2010, 21:00
I'd play the long game if I were you; there's no rush at the moment. Enjoy your PPL, build some hours and experience and only then decide if you want to keep flying as a hobby or want to progress further.

Cheers

Whirls

munners455
10th Feb 2010, 21:03
Thanks Whirls,

Reassuring to hear. :ok:

Munners

student88
10th Feb 2010, 21:48
I agree with Whirls, don't jump ship. I don't envy you having a boring job but if it's well paid and fairly safe stay there. You may not realise it but you're probably in the best position you could be in at the moment.

Get the PPL and slowly build your hours with the emphasis on quality and pleasure. Lots of people rush to build up hours which really removes the pleasure from flying. Make sure you keep your hour building challenging! It exercises the mind and builds you a great repertoire of experience. Penetrate MATS, cross the channel, enter controlled airspace etc.

Good luck and have fun.

S88

fly_antonov
10th Feb 2010, 21:55
Enjoy your PPL and wait, no need to rush.
You' re doing it the right way.

Good luck.

munners455
11th Feb 2010, 07:11
Thanks a lot guys.

Very helpful. :ok:

ONCALL
11th Feb 2010, 15:41
yeap I am in agreement with everyone. Good luck!

Aerouk
11th Feb 2010, 16:12
Enjoy your PPL, it's great.

The Ginger Prince
11th Feb 2010, 16:32
Save your money for now chap - the next 24 months are going to be a nightmare. Enjoy the PPL and get some hours under your belt. I would also recommend flying abroad if you can get the time off, I spent a month in Arizona and it really was the most enjoyable experience.

bishop99
11th Feb 2010, 22:05
Take your time, i wouldn't go for broke, but i would continue gradually with my flight training (ATPL gs + complex SE IR) but only upto the multi-engine phase : with the dramatic increase in costs, and the steeper learning curve i would recommend doing this in a concise structured course!

Best of luck with it all,

B

Asianberry
12th Feb 2010, 12:18
Hey guys, can you suggest me some books for the PPL theory exams, please:). I thought I'd start with my theory first and then hopefully by the end of this year I will start with my lessons;). Also how long do you think it should take one to prepare for their PPL theory exams?