PDA

View Full Version : New FAA licence

5LY
10th Feb 2010, 12:06
I've applied on line for the new format licence. How long does it take to be sent out?

Thanks

340drvr
10th Feb 2010, 13:47
Recent online applicants here in the U.S. have received their new-format certificates in about a week to 10 days.

5LY
10th Feb 2010, 13:50
Thanks. :)

bumba
10th Feb 2010, 14:10
... what kind of new format are we talking aboot?

MarkerInbound
10th Feb 2010, 18:03
The plastic card v. the old paper one. The paper FAA pilot & CFI certificates are void the end of March. FEs, A&Ps, Dispatchers, etc. have till 2013

bumba
11th Feb 2010, 05:55
...thanks! I didn't know there are still paper license going around!

Carrier
11th Feb 2010, 17:35
The plastic card does not have a photo so it is still useless as ID. The FAA should have included photos on the plastic cards.

MarkerInbound
11th Feb 2010, 18:39
If you haven't had a change in last 5 or 6 years, you'll still have the paper.

There was talk about adding the picture (and there were some prototypes issued) but the thought of pilots having to travel 100s of miles to the nearest FSDO nixed it. Hence the requirement to carry photo ID. FAR 61.3(b) I doubt many people would use their certificate as ID anyway.

727gm
12th Feb 2010, 06:43
I have actually seen an FAA pilot certificate with a photo on it, held by an FAA Inspector at XXX FSDO. (experimental, I guess, at this point) He said he watched the technician/clerk make it (in Ok. City, I think), and they just electronically grabbed the photo off of his Passport or driver's license. He said it was frightening how much access the person had to all info about him on one computer thanks to the Patriot Act linking-up of government & other databases.

MarkerInbound
12th Feb 2010, 15:40
I know a FAA inspector who ramped an air carrier crew and asked to see their certificates. He then asked if they had heard about the certs with the photo and that they were required. Pulled his out to show them. The Captain was calling his Chief Pilot before the Fed told him his was OK.

bumba
13th Feb 2010, 08:49
That's what it is! Anybody know how it'll be?

http://www.nexgen-aviation.com/images/package.jpg

ant1
24th Feb 2010, 14:30
Hello,

I'm trying o get the new plastic format. Foreign national. I am in the process of exchanging emails with the Airmen Certification Branch. The latest news are they want a photo id source (US passport, driver's license, ...). Any foreign national here can enlighten me ?

Thanks

malc4d
24th Feb 2010, 15:05
yes, put your own countrys passport info in the spaces. If its a based on license, l belive you have to get it re-validated by your own caa/faa etc.

ant1
24th Feb 2010, 15:12
I'm afraid I already have an email from the Airmen Certification people stating they don't accept my foreign passport as a photo id source. And no, my license was obtained from scratch, not based on my foreign license.

Thanks

malc4d
24th Feb 2010, 15:20
Have you checked that they dont have a FAA office or DPE in your country.

ant1
24th Feb 2010, 16:29
I will check the embassy. Eons ago they used to have an FAA rep. Thanks.

ahwalk01
24th Feb 2010, 17:27
Would be interested to know what you find out. The US Embassy does have an FAA London Office but am not sure what it is for as there are no 'Inspectors' available.

I got my plastic one back in 2004, a couple of $s and it arrived in 10 days.

The new ones should also have "English Proficient" added to them and there was a big argument about getting this done for UK based pilots as apart from the UK based DPEs who charge a large fee, you'd have to visit the US ("with ID in person") to satisfy them. I've done this once and it is not fun.

Alex.

ant1
24th Feb 2010, 18:46
I'll let you know. I surely miss the times where things where sooo much simpler :ugh:

ant1
25th Feb 2010, 19:17
SoCal App

I tried to do it online but I got stuck in this bit of the application (https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/amsrvs/ReqAcct.asp) where you have to compulsorily select a photo id source (US passport number, driver's license number). :{

malc4d
25th Feb 2010, 20:57
Welll when l click on passport, it it asks me to choose from a list of countrys.............:rolleyes:

ant1
25th Feb 2010, 21:54
malc4d

Your are ab-so-lu-te-ly right. I asumed they wanted a US passport and got all wound up :uhoh:

Then I emailed the people at the Airmen Certification Branch and their reply was that they would not accept my foreign passport as a photo id source: loads of bull apparently.

Job done online. I could even use my credit card for the $2 fee. I owe you one.

Thanks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LDKIwEVrhc)

5LY
26th Feb 2010, 12:16
Update. I'm Canadian. I applied on line about the time I started this thread. I entered my Can. PP details. I received my new one in the mail on the 22. (12 days) Pretty painless.:ok:

169west
4th May 2010, 10:23
Airmen Certification (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/)

runway16
5th May 2010, 04:24
Strange.

Turn the clock back to 1995 and the FAA was doing a trial run of plastic licences at Oshkosh complete with a photo.

I have one of those plastic licences. It sits with my FAA paper licence dertificate. Although it has sample marked on it it has all the details of the paper licence.
Does anyone have any idea if this 1995 FAA plastic licence meets the FAAs current requirement for a plastic licence?

Yes, I am a foreign national with an FAA licence based on my current overseas licence. The FAA has indicated that I should travel to the US to get a plastic licence.
The last time I went to the US was in 2002(?) and while I was in transit the FAA advised that they would not be touching foreign licences for the next xxxx weeks, the period that I was staying in the US.

Any advice appreciated.

AquiElJefe
5th May 2010, 07:35
I have a FAA ATPL and lived in Korea. I went to the FAA web site mentioned somewhere, use my personal CC for $2 USD and they mailed it to me within two weeks with international postage paid. Doesn't sound too difficult to me. The 1995 Oshkosh sample is just that a SAMPLE and not valid except as a conversation piece on you wall or where ever you have it.