PDA

View Full Version : Best all round AC/DC Tig Welder ?

aseanaero
10th Feb 2010, 05:17
I have an aircraft parts buiness and my welding man wants a tig welder for our small workshop (we have a Miller Migmatic 383 350A and a Cutmaster 51 plasma cutter), we do general fabrication for building shipping crates and cradles aircraft components and aircraft , engine stands and boxes plus I have a couple of Jeeps (hobby) in the workshop.

We don't do any aircraft welding yet but as TIGs are fairly rare in Indonesia I'd like to get something that will do for building roll bars and suspension components, stainless and aluminium tanks etc on the Jeeps now but will also be suitable for aircraft work when we are ready to get an aircraft qualified welder.

I'd like to get some feedback on what TIG welders are being used by aviation professionals , what are the good all-rounders and what are the dogs.

I prefer Lincoln , Miller or the american or japanese brands as parts are easier to get here compared to SAF , ESAB or the chinese types as spares support is difficult while these models are still current let alone 5 or 10 years old.

DERG
13th Feb 2010, 10:23
"chinese spares support is difficult"

in my experience it is non existant........

Fred Gassit
13th Feb 2010, 10:57
Lincoln and Miller both make great machines, I like the ESAB's as well, Kempi are also good machines worth looking at.

The CIG weld machines are a little agricultural but quite competitive pricewise.

I have no experience with Chinese machines but have heard form others that they are ok.

Most of the aviation welding I do is lightweight compared to general purpose stuff, water cooling is a good idea for heavier aluminium work.

aseanaero
13th Feb 2010, 16:17
I like CIG but I've never seen them sold here in Indo.

Chinese gear does get some spares support in Indonesia but for about 1 or 2 years after the sale then throw it away or find something at the local market to try and fix it ... no thanks

piggybank
13th Feb 2010, 23:24
No names I can think of, but have you looked at what is being produced in Batam? They seem to be producing a variety of technical goods, and a look through the business directory may be of value.

heated ice detector
14th Feb 2010, 06:27
WECO are Italian made and work pretty well, they have single and three phase machines

spencerr
19th Feb 2021, 19:21
Both Lincoln and Miller make fantastic machines, I also like the ESAB's, gerastips. com Kempi is a good machine worth looking at as well.