PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Airbase Commander Charged with Murder

soddim
8th Feb 2010, 23:15
BBC News - Canadian air force commander charged with two murders (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8505334.stm)

StopStart
9th Feb 2010, 01:23
Wow.... :eek:

Mish Nish
9th Feb 2010, 02:03
More on this ghastly story from the CBC:

CBC News - Canada - Biography: Col. Russell Williams (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/02/08/f-williams-biography.html)

and

CBC News Photogallery (http://www.cbc.ca/photogallery/canada/3010/)

vecvechookattack
9th Feb 2010, 06:53
Wow indeed...... Things you would never think you would hear... "The Boss has been charged with 2 counts of Murder...."

dctyke
9th Feb 2010, 09:23
Our bosses seem to be murdering the RAF but get away with it..........

airborne_artist
9th Feb 2010, 09:33
We had a rupert in the Artists Rifles who got life for murder. Think he was a barrister, too.

SRENNAPS
9th Feb 2010, 09:56
Even more of a wow for me. :}:}

In 1994, when we were on our usual hard drinking detachment to Goose Bay we sent two Tornados to Shearwater AFB in NS.

I, along with 3 lads was chosen to look after the aircraft for a long weekend.

We were flown to Shearwater in a Challenger aircraft.

Report from the CBC News Link:

In 1992, Williams was posted to 434 Combat Support Squadron in Shearwater, N.S., where he flew the CC-144 Challenger in the electronic warfare and coastal patrol role.

They did not have many Challenger Aircraft. Was this man our Pilot.....I dont want to know:*:*

charliegolf
9th Feb 2010, 10:33
He's not gonna get away with a punishment posting to Benbecula, is he?

CG

Two-Tone-Blue
9th Feb 2010, 11:11
I had some weird bosses in my time, but none of them were quite as bad as that. AFAIK, of course.

Runaway Gun
9th Feb 2010, 11:17
Remember ladies, he's not been found guilty yet, eh?

clunckdriver
9th Feb 2010, 12:15
I doubt he will make next years promotion list even if found not guilty, however reading between the lines the OPP seem to have a watertight case against him, the reaction to this from one familly {in our region}whos son came home in a wooden box and were greated by him at Trenton is just too painfull to watch.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
9th Feb 2010, 13:11
Calling chaps who should be Group Captains, “Colonel”, is bound to be mentally destabilising.

alisoncc
9th Feb 2010, 13:38
Not neccessarily so. If you spell it Kernel, being more than a bit of a nutter.

teeteringhead
9th Feb 2010, 14:40
Do we (RAF) still have exchange truckies at Trenton - I'm sure we used to ....?

Tankertrashnav
9th Feb 2010, 15:28
doubt he will make next years promotion list even if found not guilty,

Being found not guilty didn't hinder the career of Ali Dizaei after he was acquitted in 2002. Still that's the Met, not the RCAF or whatever they call it these days.

goudie
9th Feb 2010, 15:40
Calling chaps who should be Group Captains, “Colonel”, is bound to be mentally destabilising.

It's even worse for the RC Navy chaps. ''Now hear this, now hear this, this is your Colonel speaking!''

Ned Parsnip
9th Feb 2010, 15:58
It seems Col. Russell Williams’ led a double life.

Top officer facing murder charges commanded Canada’s largest air base, flew top diplomats

by Michael Friscolanti (http://www2.macleans.ca/author/mfriscolanti/) on Monday, February 8, 2010 6:49pm -
The commander of one of Canada’s largest military bases is in a prison cell today, accused of murdering two Ontario women—including a fellow service member—and sexually assaulting two others.
Col. Russell Williams, a career air force officer, was the top man at CFB Trenton, the same Ontario base that has welcomed home the flag-draped caskets of every Canadian soldier killed in Afghanistan. But on Sunday night, police slapped him with another label: serial predator.
Investigators are hesitant to reveal specifics, but the charge sheet speaks for itself, accusing the once-impeccable colonel of leading a secret double life of rape and murder. In September, police say he broke into a pair of homes and attacked two women (both victims lived near Tweed, the same Ontario hamlet where Williams resided). His next alleged victim was Marie-France Comeau, a 38-year-old corporal who was also stationed at CFB Trenton. She was killed inside her home in late-November, her lifeless body discovered by her boyfriend. And this morning, detectives discovered the remains of a second slain woman: 27-year-old Jessica Lloyd of Belleville, Ont., who was missing since Jan. 28. Arrested in Ottawa Sunday night, Williams now faces two counts each of first-degree murder, forcible confinement, break and enter, and sexual assault.
Police are not saying whether the murders were random, or if the colonel, who is married with no children, had a previous relationship with either of the women. Speaking at a press conference today, Detective-Inspector Chris Nicholas of the Ontario Provincial Police also refused to reveal what specific evidence led them to Williams—a man whose 23-year career included a stint flying the VIP Challenger jets used by prime ministers and other dignitaries. Nicholas would only say that Williams came first came to their attention Feb. 4, when officers were questioning motorists on the same rural highway where Lloyd lived. There was “a singularity” in all the incidents, Nicholas said, without providing details. He did say this, however: “We are certainly tracking the movements of where this man has been over the past several years, and we’re continuing on with our investigation.”
Dressed in a blue prison jumpsuit, Williams made a brief appearance today in a Belleville courtroom. He stated his full name, said he understood the charges, and was remanded in custody until another hearing scheduled for Feb. 18.
Needless to say, news of his arrest sent shockwaves through the Department of National Defence, where Williams seemed destined for an eventual promotion to general. As commander of 8 Wing Trenton, he was already in charge of the country’s busiest airbase, a sprawling facility between Ottawa and Toronto that houses transport planes, search and rescue aircraft, and Canada’s Disaster Assistance Response Team (DART). He took over the top job in July. “These are exciting times for the air force,” he said at the time. “I am confident that the team here is up to the task and I look forward to getting right into that work.”
Today, Lieutenant-General André Deschamps, Chief of the Air Staff, issued a far more somber statement. “This situation affects us all and I wish to extend my deepest sympathies to the families of those affected by these tragic events,” he said. “Although one is considered innocent until proven guilty, in light of the seriousness of the charges, and in consideration of the high level of responsibilities attached to the position of Wing Commander, an interim Wing Commander for 8 Wing Trenton will soon be appointed…The Canadian Forces hold their members to a very high standard of conduct and performance, in Canada or abroad, on or off military duty. I confirm that the Air Force is fully supporting civilian authorities in the conduct of the current matter.”
A self-described “avid golfer, keen photographer, fisherman and runner,” Williams enrolled in the Canadian Forces in 1987 after earning an economics and political science degree from the University of Toronto. He received his flying wings in 1990 and two years later was posted to 434 (Combat Support) Squadron in Shearwater, where he flew the CC144 Challenger in the electronic warfare/coastal patrol role. He was subsequently posted to 412 (Transport) Squadron in Ottawa, where he continued to fly the Challenger, this time hauling VIPs. Promoted to major in 1999 and lieutenant-colonel in 2004, he also served as commanding officer at Camp Mirage, the ultra-secretive forward logistics base that the government has never officially acknowledged, but is widely reported to be in Dubai. In January 2009, he was posted to the Canadian Forces Language School in Gatineau, Que., for a six-month period of French training, his last step before Trenton
Col. Russell Williams’ double life? - Canada - Macleans.ca (http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/02/08/col-russell-williams-double-life/)

OntarioCopper
9th Feb 2010, 17:30
Knowing what I know from what I know, I know there is more in the pipework from this guy.......

Make sure your chin straps are tightly fastened........

As a side note, this guy has cast a very long, dark shadow over the Canadian Forces today. Sad, truly sad.

brit bus driver
9th Feb 2010, 21:33
To answer the exchange question, yes we do. And a former Exch Officer is now a CF major on 437 Sqn. Sad days for a very professional and close-knit community at Trenton.

Moreover, a former CF Exchange Officer on 216 Sqn is the Wg Ops O at Trenton and has taken over as acting Wg Comd at Trenton.

Farfrompuken
9th Feb 2010, 22:39
Moreover, a former CF Exchange Officer on 216 Sqn is the Wg Ops O at Trenton and has taken over as acting Wg Comd at Trenton.

Does that former CF exchange officer still have tourettes??!!:ok: Or is he the milder mannered predecessor?

brit bus driver
9th Feb 2010, 22:46
His mild-mannered predecessor. The other guy retired I believe.

zedder
10th Feb 2010, 06:43
If you were on CXX Sqn at ISK about 5 years ago, you will also know the current Boss of 429 (Transport) Sqn at Trenton which flys C-17s.

Aviation.ca - Your Number One Source for Canadian Aviation News, Jobs and Information! - “The survivors are so thankful to us” (http://events.aviation.ca/content/view/8382/117/)

rotornut
10th Feb 2010, 15:12
Here's an update. A very strange case indeed!

The case against the colonel: 'Lingerie break-ins' and a 'treasure trove' of photo evidence - The Globe and Mail (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/the-case-against-the-colonel-lingerie-break-ins-and-a-treasure-trove-of-photo-evidence/article1462386/)

Mish Nish
10th Feb 2010, 16:03
There's now a lot of talk about re-opening cold cases which took place wherever Williams was posted.

Including the poor RMC cadet whose body showed up in Lake Ontario a few years ago.

pasptoo
10th Feb 2010, 23:34
Next time you get a bollocking from the Boss for not wearing your head gear.......think yourself lucky !:E

GreenKnight121
11th Feb 2010, 00:17
From Rotornut's link: Colonel Russell Williams has given police a lengthy and wide-ranging statement about four dozen so-called "lingerie break-ins," two home invasions that turned into bizarre sexual assaults last September, and the murders of two young women, one a military steward with whom he may have flown.

Several sources have also told The Globe and Mail that the 46-year-old commander of Canadian Forces Base Trenton took detectives to the body of Jessica Lloyd, a 27-year-old who suddenly disappeared on Jan. 29 after texting a friend she had safely arrived home.

According to those close to the investigation, Col. Williams' statement was delivered in a crisp, almost business-like fashion, less out of contrition, it appeared, than out of a sense of duty ingrained during a 22-year military career.

saudipc-9
11th Feb 2010, 21:36
As a side note, this guy has cast a very long, dark shadow over the Canadian Forces today. Sad, truly sad

Unfortunately some members of society are unable to differentiate between the individual and the institution. Rumor has it that a uniformed member of the CF was spat on near Trenton the other day!!

StopStart
20th Oct 2010, 19:50
To reiterate my post of 8 months ago "Wow..." :eek:

Erm.... (http://www.smh.com.au/world/secret-life-of-crossdressing-killer-colonel-revealed-20101019-16rt2.html)

Kinda puts the madnesses of SDSR in the shade somewhat :suspect:

jmp10
20th Oct 2010, 21:14
I was with a group of RCAF and RAF veterans near Shearwater not long ago and they were chatting about this case, clearly shocked. And some of them had seen more than him, for example, several had several WW2 tours, including one with over 60 trips under his belt and the associated sights and experiences to boot.
Human nature is fascinating as it is at times terrifying. At least some of them managed to crack a joke though not flippantly so. It's a pity some see one case as a template to view all the forces, past, present and future.

A.

StopStart
20th Oct 2010, 21:29
I doubt its got anything to do with what he's "seen" and everything to do with him being a fruit loop.

Ned Parsnip
21st Oct 2010, 16:15
Two life sentences for sex killer Williams's 'despicable crimes' (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/two-life-sentences-for-sex-killer-williamss-despicable-crimes/article1766784/)

Before delivering the sentence, Judge Scott told Col. Williams that his brutal, senseless crimes mean he will be forever notorious.
“He may best be described as Canada's bright shining lie,” he said.
The judge said there are few mitigating circumstances except for Col. Williams's guilty pleas, which spared the families the grief of a trial. He said he believes the colonel's apology to be sincere but that he remains "an emotionless serial killer."
The former base commander and rising military star was formally convicted earlier this week of two counts of first-degree murder, two counts of sexual assault and forcible confinement and 82 fetish burglaries in which he stole women’s underwear and other intimate items.
Crown attorney Lee Burgess spoke Thursday of the enormous trauma inflicted on Belleville and the surrounding area by “this despicable man,” calling him “one of the worst offenders in Canadian history.”

Pontius Navigator
21st Oct 2010, 17:08
Maybe he will enjoy his retirement?

fincastle84
21st Oct 2010, 17:13
I just feel very sorry for all concerned, including the offender. Mental illness is a cruel disease.

Samuel
21st Oct 2010, 17:15
His knicker drawer is a helluva lot tidier than mine, I must say.... Pity they weren't his.

Pontius Navigator
21st Oct 2010, 17:25
His knicker drawer is a helluva lot tidier than mine,

Did you really mean that? :)

Fincastle,

If it be mental illness then he should not have been found guilty of murder. However I always consider anyone who commits murder to be mad, so you have a point.

Samuel
21st Oct 2010, 19:04
Not really! He had 82 fetish burglaries to his name....I have none!

I am, however, a bit bemused by this story. Is it extra-salacious because he's 'one of us ' so to speak, or is he just another mentally ill individual who just happens to be a Gp Capt?

Pontius Navigator
21st Oct 2010, 20:44
Sam, one of us I think. As a mere gp capt that is nothing. OK, the MRAF was caught with his trousers down and only figuaratively in someone eles knickers. Or the AVM who appeared to have a zipper problem in the toilets in Shepherd's Bush.

For the media the issue is that he flew the Queen.

And for the Canadians, shear shock and horror.

Training Risky
21st Oct 2010, 21:51
NEWS FLASH: the Con-Air flight carrying Col Williams (ret) and several female RCMPs has been forced down by bad weather. The prisoner was reportedly quite happy about getting stuck in Alberta...

I'll get my coat.

V2-OMG!
25th Oct 2010, 01:48
Trenton is the base where those killed in Afghanistan are relayed before embarking upon the "Highway of Heroes."
HIGHWAY OF HEROES | www.VoiceofCanada.ca (http://voiceofcanada.wordpress.com/highway-of-heroes/)

What a besmirch upon the morale of those Canadians who have served/are serving. Some gave the ultimate sacrifice to bring order in a country where women are habitually exploited and often murdered.

Modern Elmo
25th Oct 2010, 03:08
We all agree that Canada ought to have the death penalty available for egregious murderers such as Williams, don't we?

Load Toad
25th Oct 2010, 04:18
His 'admission interview' with the police is on Live Leak if anyone wants to search it. The guy seems only bothered about the impact on his wife. Yes it seems he is a murdering sicko - not sure how the death penalty would have a) deterred him or b) helps anybody now he's in gaol.

V2-OMG!
25th Oct 2010, 04:26
Elmo, would he have confessed with the death penalty? Regardless, the DNA evidence would have convicted him.

Canada has some "famous" case histories of those wrongly convicted for murder, but that was before the advent of admissible DNA evidence. I think the death penalty should apply in those cases involving that non-refutable evidence.

Williams will receive his $60,000/yr. pension. That is another besmirch -
a besmirch upon the Canadian taxpayer and families of his victims.

Load Toad, the interrogation by Detective Smyth is sheer brilliance. It will be the interview against which all others are measured.

Williams' concern about his wife (and how her new home would fare during the execution of the search warrant) struck me as being totally irrelevant due to the enormity of his betrayal to all....especially his wife.

Easy Street
25th Oct 2010, 04:35
Not only is the death penalty irreversible, it's also a get-out. Solitary confinement for life, no chance of parole, subsistence gruel only, no entertainment, exercise or work allowed - a harsher punishment in my view and ultimately reversible. The only downside would be if they were pardoned, you would have one seriously screwed-up person out there (better that than dead?).

No reason for imprisonment to be so expensive either - the expense only comes because we keep letting people out of their cells for visits etc and hence need multiple layers of security!

Load Toad
25th Oct 2010, 04:58
>V2
I'm no psychologist / psychiatrist but I could only hazard to guess that the murderer / fetishist can compartmentalize one action from another such that to him how he acts in 'normal life' is quite separate, indeed maybe even a separate person from his evil life & thus he can't allow in his mind a collision between the two to occur. The interview part I saw to me was him realizing that the collision was about to occur and he was trying to find a way to keep them apart. The detective was showing him the way to keep them apart was to admit what had happened.
To 'normal' people obviously the things are not separate at all but once the guy is satisfied that admission satisfies his own fears he then makes the admission.
It's very disturbing to watch it but fascinating.

Pontius Navigator
25th Oct 2010, 07:14
ME, no.

By any modern standard of morals to murder is wrong and retribution will be heaped upon you head. You wil be caught and severely punished. To go ahead and commit murder is madness.

If you are mad you cannot be tried as a normal person. You should be certified and hospitalised in an institution for ever.

clunckdriver
25th Oct 2010, 10:55
His confession interview goes to prove what many of us with a military background have known for years, the average sergent is smarter than most senior officers! On a more serious note, looks like the government is going to block his pension, it should be used to pay the cost of keeping him in the slammer for the rest of his life.

Brian 48nav
25th Oct 2010, 11:26
The exMRAF is a pleasant guy that I met after his 15mins of fame when he bought one of my wife's paintings from an exhibition of her's in Shaftesbury(!).

What I think is sad,is that his name does not appear in the Retired List (I'm sure I'm correct in that).

lightningmate
25th Oct 2010, 12:26
Brian 48nav,

Possibly because 5* officers never formally retire; thus, they draw full salary TFN.

lm

Chris Kebab
25th Oct 2010, 14:57
..I thought he had resigned his commision and was no longer a MRAF.

Wasn't he a lightningmate:ok: Memory fades...

onetrack
25th Oct 2010, 15:04
What is possibly the most disturbing feature of this case, is how this murderous fruitcake could pass all the psych tests of the military... get promoted to an exceptionally high level... work closely alongside many other people... yet no-one suspected, or said anything??
Surely... SOMEONE, must have been suspicious, of at least, some of his behaviour, at SOME stage?... :ugh:

It beggars belief that this person could have hidden this fetish and his regular break-ins, to feed that fetish... coupled with a murderous bent... and NO-ONE suspected a THING?? Where were the investigators on the break-ins?
Was there any fingerprinting done? Any questions asked, about unexplained movements and disappearances?
I'll wager at least ONE person harboured suspicions - his wife. As for the break-in crimes investigators... well, they need to be booted, unceremoniously.

Pontius Navigator
25th Oct 2010, 15:26
onetrack, when you are so far up the greasey poll the sun shines brighter.

clunckdriver
25th Oct 2010, 15:49
Onetrack, I think part of the problem in the CAF is the very small gene pool from which most of the officers come, that is Royal Military College. As the vast majority of them originate from this one source it generates a fierce in house loyalty which inhibits critical examination of ones fellow RMC grads, it is in fact the ultimate "Old Boys Network". In previous times the Canadian military had a much more diverse cross section, thus more prone to asking the right questions, on top of this the CAF is so bloody PC these days one is often preventd by various "rights" from even asking these questions. This problem extends to civvy street over here as well, we found we had a child molester working for us some years back, booted the SOB out in jig time, he now flies for a large domestic airline which instead of doing it the old fashioned way and picking up the phone to previous employers uses an HR firm who know nothing about the industry and how to do a REAL background on a pilot. Im told by contacts at Trenton that some have come forward and stated that they had misgivings about the jerk, have no way to confirm it but I hope some in our government are asking the same tough questions you pose!

V2-OMG!
25th Oct 2010, 18:41
clunckdriver, appreciate your input from someone "who was there" so to speak.

This is perfect fodder for the next Ann Rule book.

Im told by contacts at Trenton that some have come forward and stated that they had misgivings about the jerk, have no way to confirm it but I hope some in our government are asking the same tough questions you pose!

These "misgivings" tend to come foward after the fact, but in the case of Williams, they really are the exception.

What puzzles me is this: how the 'ell did Williams find the time to procure and execute his fetish in such a painstakingly accurate manner? That meticulous collection, cataloging, and presentation of undies - heck, the women who work at Victoria's Secret are not as apt!

Besides the undie thing, there's the stalking, picture taking, pillage, modelling for the camera, rapes, torture, abuse, murder, lengthy commute to and from his "get-away/murder cottage." Williams' duties as a CO seems almost incidental!

Who knows what his wife thought - she had a high-profile career herself - but I wonder whose idea it was to buy this "get-away" cottage? If I was married to someone who wanted a "get-away" cottage my first thought would be this: "get away" from what?....and who does he have stashed there? In this case, that was painfully true, albeit this "she" was stone-cold dead.

This case is one big :confused:....and speaking of books.....just image the flood that will soon be on the shelves....probably before Christmas.

p.s. This woman is really perplexed and will probably be standing in line for one of those books. I am involved in an organization that restore old warbirds, amongst other aircraft, and many of the volunteers are ex-military and seem to be decent, straight-up kind of guys.

But then, so was Williams.....:confused:

V2-OMG!
25th Oct 2010, 20:43
A sucker for penned sentiments perhaps?....but I find Williams' letter to his wife incredibly sad because I would like to believe it.

"Dearest Mary Elizabeth,

I love you, Sweet (illegible). I am so very sorry for having hurt you like this. I know you'll take good care of sweet Rosie.
I love you,

Russ"

Rosie is their cat.

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL1942/12014112/21556821/392899821.jpg

Modern Elmo
26th Oct 2010, 03:45
<i> Not only is the death penalty irreversible, it's also a get-out. Solitary confinement for life, no chance of parole, subsistence gruel only, no entertainment, exercise or work allowed - a harsher punishment in my view and ultimately reversible.</i>

Your view?

Let's give this convicted murderer his choice, and see which punishment he chooses to avoid.

If it be mental illness then he should not have been found guilty of murder. However I always consider anyone who commits murder to be mad, so you have a point.

So murderers really aren't bad people. They're mad, insane. They can't help themselves. In fact, one could say that "murder" is a social construct, and that "murderers" are not insane. Instead, so-called "murderers" are differently sane people, who are misunderstood by the insane Puritanical society around them.

Murderers are victims too. Murderers have probably been victimized by an unhappy childhood, as well as by the oppressive constraints of society at large. This poor man was confined by narrow, artificial gender roles that held him back from openly expressing his creative interests in the diversity of women's underwear.

Murderers need our understanding. They need help and psychotherapy, not punishment.

Pontius Navigator
26th Oct 2010, 07:16
one could say that "murder" is a social construct, and that "murderers" are not insane. Instead, so-called "murderers" are differently sane people, who are misunderstood by the insane Puritanical society around them.

Illogical. What you mean is that sanity is a social construct.

Then you say:

Murderers need our understanding. They need help and psychotherapy, not punishment.

but previously you said

We all agree that Canada ought to have the death penalty available for egregious murderers such as Williams, don't we?

You have either changed your mind or you are an argumentative troll that sets out to provoke.

Q-RTF-X
26th Oct 2010, 12:51

I know this is off thread but the view expressed above rather rattled my cage.

My mother (along with many others) was a victim of the infamous Dr. Shipman and I (along with quite a few others I imagine) have difficulty going along with this thought. It was even worse when, due in the main to lax supervision, Shipman was able to take his own life while in custody, thus cheating the system. End,

Pontius Navigator
26th Oct 2010, 13:24
I know this is off thread but the view expressed above rather rattled my cage.

ME is a troll; don't feed him.

V2-OMG!
26th Oct 2010, 20:12

Pontius, I suspect you're right.

Playing cat and mouse with the unsuspecting -
just like Russell Williams. :mad:

Q-RTF-X
26th Oct 2010, 23:14

Pontius, I suspect you're right.

Playing cat and mouse with the unsuspecting

Thanks for slowing me down, I sure jumped at that one.

StopStart
26th Oct 2010, 23:25
Or he is in fact being ironic..... :rolleyes:

This poor man was confined by narrow, artificial gender roles that held him back from openly expressing his creative interests in the diversity of women's underwear. :hmm:

GreenKnight121
27th Oct 2010, 03:55
Yep... ME was just showing where the PC section of today's society will carry things of the direction PN advocates is chosen... without advocating it.

This was shown by the way he quoted of PN's statement, and by the commentary he accompanied that quote with. It was obvious to me, and to Stopstart.

PN said that anyone who commits a murder should NOT be treated as a criminal, but just like anyone else suffering from a mental illness.

This means that whether they are released or not is not in the hands of the law, but of a psychiatrist.

Do what ME was trying to get you to do, and think about where that attitude will lead.

Pontius Navigator
27th Oct 2010, 07:43
GK, I see where you are going. I was not advocating no trial in the event of murder.

You have a trial to convict and then, by definition, that person is insane, certainly outside the bounds of our society. According to our rules an inane person must be treated not imprisoned.

There are several such people in UK who have been tried and are now incarcerated in mental institutions rather than prisons. That is my point.

Load Toad
27th Oct 2010, 09:33
Surely there is no logical reason to not imprison an insane person in a facility with treatment but otherwise like a gaol? Upon 'being cured' the person should still serve time for their actions - no? Because imprisonment as a punishment is as much about retribution and - keeping the rest of society safe isn't it? I can follow the argument that murder is by definition the action of someone not mentally capable (of living in and up to the accepted standards of society) but also if one wants to live IN society then there are standards that have to be met to guarantee the safety of everyone else. Being 'cured' of something that manifested itself in the torture, sexual abuse and murder of innocents to me - tends to put you firmly into the 'not in our society' bag.

Pontius Navigator
27th Oct 2010, 10:27
LT, I was not suggesting that there might be a cure. And as for punishing someone after they are 'cured' is illogical. In a western society murder is beyond the pale and you will be caught. Therefore anyone who commits murder must, by definition, be insane. Ergo, they should be put away for the safety of society.