View Full Version : Brisbane Based Casual Cabin Crew

ilana182
8th Feb 2010, 19:22
Are there any companies that hire casual cabin crew for Brisbane?

I know Altara have applications open for Sydney & Melbourne, but I was wondering whether I should hold my breath for something in Brisbane.

Thanks!

ellie8
8th Feb 2010, 20:39
Hi Ilana182.
I too have been waiting for almost 2 years for a BNE/OOL based Cabin Crew position. I have been holding out for Jetstar to hire for their SEQ base but with no luck. I was sooo excited in Dec when the Casual Cabin Crew job was posted for OOL and applied instantly only to have Altara take over from TMS and cancel the OOL recruitment plans. I emailed Altara to find out if they will be recruiting for Gold Coast any time soon & they said no. I also got an email from someone in HR from Team Jetstar saying that they had no plans at the moment to hire for Jetstar's BNE/OOL dual base and I heard that Virgin Blue apparently are only taking internal transfers to their BNE base from other bases. MAM have a base in BNE and are accepting interest at the moment. Im not sure about QCCA. I know how you feel, its frustrating! Good luck and hopefully someone hires in BNE for you soon!:ok:

ilana182
8th Feb 2010, 23:10
Hi Ellie

Thanks so much for the response, you had much more answers than I expected! How very frustrating ... I got so excited when VA started recruiting for BNE in December, and was crushed when they cancelled it! I went for Qantaslink at the end of last year as well, but was unsuccessful unfortunately. I guess we'll just have to be patient keep our eyes peeled!

flitegirl
9th Feb 2010, 00:24
Hi guys
would you consider relocating to start your flying careers? I have lived in 4 different cities throughout my flying career and was finally offered a basing in the city of my choice last year. You often find many crew have relocated in the past in order to get the job they want. Worth thinking about if you are in a situation where you can move to another city.

ilana182
9th Feb 2010, 00:30
I've definitely considered moving to Sydney or Melbourne, but my partner isn't going to budge. It sucks, but I've gotten used to the fact that we'll be staying in QLD.

KK1000
9th Feb 2010, 21:08
My friend from Brisbane moved to Darwin to work for Strategic back in September last year, and was lucky enough to get a transfer to Brisbane base not long ago, which is very good because it was thought you'd have to wait atleast 12 months till you transfer. So maybe try get your foot in the door somewhere and move somewhere for a couple of months & apply for a transfer? It may be your only way to get a job in SEQ as I believe within VB/Qantas/JQ it is a highly sort after base and they usually give the positions to internal applicants before opening it to the public. I understand the situation with your partner would be very difficult, but sometimes you gotta do something for yourself to let you live your dreams, if they love you and want to be with you they will understand and support it.

ilana182
14th Feb 2010, 22:20
Thanks for the help KK1000, I'll see what I can do!

ellie8
21st Feb 2010, 06:16
Hi all,

Altara are currently recruiting for their SEQ base presumably on behalf of Team Jetstar still. Yay, finally!!! Go to the Altara website to apply. Good luck to all!!!:ok:

ilana182
21st Feb 2010, 06:43
Thanks for the heads up ellie!

ilana182
24th Feb 2010, 22:27
Thanks again for the info Ellie! I got an email from Altara to say I made it through to the RD round. They didn't give any dates or times or anything though? Does anyone know if they send another email with this info!?

coffee or tea
24th Feb 2010, 22:39
Hi ilana182,

Yap i have received same info. RD is not yet finalized they will confirm the final date/s thru email.

Good luck and keep in touch.:ok:

ilana182
24th Feb 2010, 23:09
Thanks for the help coffeeortea. I was wondering also, it said on the application that you must be able to work 15 days a month. Does that mean you get to work at least 15 days a month, or that you can work UP TO 15 days a month?

coffee or tea
24th Feb 2010, 23:19
hi ilana182,

that's a nice quiry...me too im not so sure of this...

ellie8
26th Feb 2010, 20:50
Hi Ilana182, its my pleasure letting you guys know about any airline recruitment. I got through to the RD stage with Altara also but didnt get a date or anything. I guess they will let us know when they have a date set up. Did you also get the email from Team Jetstar referring you to apply through Altara? I am sooo excited at the prospect of being able to live near Gold Coast and be Cabin Crew! Good luck to all who applied and keep us all updated on any new developments!:)

KK1000
2nd Mar 2010, 01:40
ilana182,

You have to nominate a minimum of 15 days availability but you are not guaranteed any amount of hours, though there are heaps of pregnant ladies due in the next few months and lots of people waiting to take leave not to mention already short staffed so apparently there will be plenty of hours if we want them! but you will be given shifts within those days, not every day if you get what i mean. You could nominate to be available every day, then you would have the opportunity to be exposed to the most amount of shifts, or if you only wanted it as a casual job or you are studying you could work it around that too. PS of the 15 days, 4 days have to be weekend days (sat or sun).

Hope that helps - ps its awesome

ilana182
7th Mar 2010, 04:43
Do you get Jetstar/Qantas staff travel benefits if you work for them through Altara?

hb78
7th Mar 2010, 06:06
No, you don't get staff travel as a casual with Altara. One of my friends was offered a position with Altara in Sydney for Jetstar but declined as although the pay was ok, there were no staff travel benefits......

ellie8
8th Mar 2010, 22:31
Hi,

has anyone who applied for the most recent round of recruitment for Altara/Jetstar received any information about the assesssment centre dates yet, or know when/where they will be? (for SEQ base mainly) I emailed them but havnt got a reply as yet. I have my brothers wedding in a couple of weeks & didnt want to miss an interview! I read that it will be end of this month or start of next month....thanks:)

ilana182
8th Mar 2010, 22:39
Yeah I emailed them a while back and they just end of this month / start of April ... and to just keep an eye in your inbox for the set dates. I'm going overseas next week so I'm really hoping they don't schedule them for next week!

ellie8
16th Mar 2010, 09:30
Hi guys.

I got an email from Altara today letting me know that there is presently no recruitment day set up in my 'chosen location' (SEQ base) but they expect to have one in the next 6-8 weeks! They will let us know by email when this happens. Fingers crossed its sooner! Waiting is the worst!:ugh:

ilana182
16th Mar 2010, 11:03
Thanks for the update ellie8! Darn I was hoping it would be sooner rather than later!

ilana182
22nd Mar 2010, 00:27
Did anyone else get the email about the dates for the Altara AD?

I put in for the afternoon session on Tues 30th March.

Anyone else going?

ellie8
22nd Mar 2010, 02:40
Hi Ilana182,

Yes I got the email. I requested wednesday the 31st at 1:30pm. Has your time been confirmed? I havnt heard back yet. Good luck:ok:

ilana182
26th Mar 2010, 03:19
I just got the confirmation email ... I got my chosen time. Yay! I wonder how many people will be at each session?

ellie8
26th Mar 2010, 04:01
Hi, I got my chosen time too! I was also wondering how many people will be at the group assessment days? They are having 2 sessions on 3 seperate days, so thats 6 groups! They must want/need a fair amount of crew? We are meant to bring our passports, a 1 page CV with 3 referees, our First Aid & RSA certificates plus photocopies & a passport sized photo of ourselves. Good luck!:ok:

ilana182
30th Mar 2010, 08:54
Hi Ellie

I went to the assessment day today. I was so worried when I saw how many people there were, about 60. We had little one on one interviewed, got our paperwork checked and got measured. Then we had a presentation about Jetstar, then group activities and a quick exam. I was thinking the worse and was certain that I wasn't going to get a call back, but I did! I'm attending the Thursday afternoon interview!

Just make sure all your paperwork is correct, be impeccably presented, don't be nervous and just be yourself! Good luck! Let me know how you go!

ilana182
6th Apr 2010, 01:25
Did anyone else go to the Altara AD's last week in Gold Coast?

How did everyone go?

ilana182
7th Apr 2010, 05:14
Does anyone know if they call all 3 references?

oli90
8th Apr 2010, 00:18
Hi! I also went to the altars seq recruitment day last week an got throught to the second interview. I felt it went well but none of my three refrences have been contacted yet SO I'm not sure if this is a positive sign or not! Have you heard anything?

ilana182
8th Apr 2010, 00:20
I had one of my references called yesterday, but not the other two. And another girl I was speaking to had all 3 of her's called yesterday. Other than that we haven't heard anything.

oli90
8th Apr 2010, 09:10
ERRRRRRMMM.:confused:
I am new to this forum and am just learning how to use it!!!
I applied for the position and got through to the second interview last week.
Has anyone else who applied for the SEQ Casual position heard anything from Altara yet? I suppose I am rushing into things but I heard a few people have had their referees notified already. I guess its a bad sign that none of mine have been contacted??? I was also under the impression that we were to be notified around today or tomorrow whether or not to go ahead with med checks and ASIC police checks etc. No emails as of yet but fingers crossed!
?????????????

ilana182
8th Apr 2010, 20:27
Hey oli

I have the numbers of a few others girls that were at the second interview, and none of us have received a YES or NO email yet. So hang tight!

Man this is painful ... I just want to know already!

oli90
9th Apr 2010, 08:26
I know! Airlines are so UNpredictable! I haven't had reference checks yet (tear). I won't give up hope yet no news is better than bad news I guess!

oli90
12th Apr 2010, 06:42
Hi ilana!

2 of my references were called today! YAAAAAAAY :}
Glad to hear that progress has been made. I would say we should hear something before the end of the week regarding a YES or NO. I thought that whoever was successful would have already been notified because Jetstar GS is three weeks in Melbourne and they said at the second RD that they needed staff flying by May! :suspect: haha fingers and toes crossed for both of us!

ilana182
12th Apr 2010, 06:44
I'm happy for you oli! YAY!

And that makes me feel better about also not getting any updates yet. They must still be calling references. I've spoken to 3 other girls that all haven't heard anything yet either.

Fingers crossed it will be soon!

oli90
16th Apr 2010, 01:16
Any news guys?

ilana182
16th Apr 2010, 01:17
Nope. I just spoke to a girl who only got her references rung yesterday! They're certainly taking their time.

oli90
20th Apr 2010, 01:47
Waiting!! Better not get a "no" ill cry! Ilana I was talking to a jetstar cc friend of mine she said if you have had your references called and it went well then its looking good for us. We can only hope!

ilana182
20th Apr 2010, 01:53
I'm trying to program myself into thinking that we'll hear this Friday. So that I don't get too frustrated every time I check my emails until then!

ilana182
21st Apr 2010, 06:57
I just got an email to say I'm on active hold! Does that mean I might have to wait forever before I get to start?

oli90
21st Apr 2010, 08:12
HIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have no Idea! Maybe wait a few days because I know sometimes you can be on active hold for only a few days before they send out medical and asic check forms.
I got my Medical check email today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D SOOOO EXCITED

ilana182
21st Apr 2010, 08:23
Did they give you training dates?

oli90
21st Apr 2010, 08:27
not an exact date but they said it was MID JUNE 2010 and that they will notify us over the next few weeks after medicals.

ilana182
21st Apr 2010, 10:40
Hmmm ... 4 of us just received the email saying we were on active hold - so we thought everyone must have received it. Oh well ... I hope we don't have to wait too long! Congratulations oli!!!

KK1000
23rd Apr 2010, 00:57
im sure it wont be long at all they need staff for seq ASAP. I wonder if they will send you guys to melbourne aswell for training or do it in brisbane at Aviation Australia. Hmmmmm!!!! very exciting for you all

oli90
23rd Apr 2010, 10:59
Thanks Ilana! I remember at the RD day they said they were only taking 60 for the first Ground school and maybe a second lot of 30 on active hold for when they get the new planes. I hope you hear soon! I was hoping we would be study buddies at ground school in june :( I have booked my medical for next week so fingers crossed it all goes smoothly from here on in Ill let you know when the first GS dates are scheduled :8

hi KK1000!
are you currently flying for jetstar ? Im trying to get all my medical and asic information in asap to avoid delays. Im pretty sure training is in melbourne.

ilana182
7th May 2010, 01:39
Has anyone heard back from Altara re: Jetstar SEQ casual? I tried to reply to the email that I got saying that I was on active hold, to ask how long I'll be on hold from, and it spat the email back saying the address was invalid?

oli90
7th May 2010, 07:06
hey! I just recieved my formal offer of employment today for SEQ casual CC jetstar. Ground school starts on the 21st april on the Gold Coast (watermark surfers where the initial interviews were held). Not sure when the second lot will go ahead with GS. Have you been asked to do medical checks? I also had a phone interview with VB yesterday! But its sydney based. I went well with the interview and she's invited me to the RD day in sydney next week but I cant go because of work. Anyway Id prefer to wait until VB open recruitment for brisbane as Im a bit young to move away with no flying experience! haha
Have you applied for VB????

KK1000
7th May 2010, 15:35
hi oli, is it 21st may or 21st of june? (you wrote april). you will most likely have 1 week in gold coast and 2 weeks in melbourne as did all the syd crew (1 week syd 2 weeks melbourne) you get flights and accomm paid for but no overnight allowance staying at the holiday inn near the airport. goodluck for everything! study hard :)

ilana182
7th May 2010, 21:09
No still haven't heard anything or been asked to do medical checks. I rang yesterday and she said the people on hold MIGHT start end of July. So unfair you're so lucky. I applied for VB BNE the other week and apparently the RD is on Monday and I didn't get a phone interview yet, but no email either.

oli90
10th May 2010, 23:20
Sorry 21st june! Yes one week on the gold coast then 2 in Melbourne I'm SO driven to do well and make it through training thanks for the heads up kk!
Hang in there ilana it will work out! I didn't know they were recruiting brisbane based vb? That would be ideal! My friend just made it through vb bne training and starts very soon! Keep applying for everything!!
I hear emirates are recruiting now have you thought about going international? Its a huge step but I considered it for a while, and if you have nothing holding you down at home it would be an amazing experience!

ilana182
10th May 2010, 23:32
Yeah apparently there was a RD for VB BNE was yesterday (Monday) ... but I still haven't had a call / email anything since doing the application so I'm not sure whether I just didn't make it at all, or whether there might be another RD, it'll be so disappointing if that was the only RD.

I've considered Emirates and got invited to one of their RD's late last year but I don't think I could do the move so I didn't end up going.

Come on Altara ... email me for a medical!!!

oli90
19th May 2010, 23:32
Hey, I just sent away my contract yesterday, just one teensy little glitch that reads, "your wages will be paid in arrears each month in which you are engaged"...

?????????????

WOW, time to learn how to strategically budget! Don't get me wrong I would fly at 5c per hour if my CC career depended on it and Im not overly worried about the money aspect but, KK1000 are you paid MONTHLY!!!!!!!????????????????:uhoh:

ilana182
19th May 2010, 23:38
Oli they told us at the RD that the pay would be monthly. On the 21st of the month if I'm not mistaken?

oli90
19th May 2010, 23:43
Yes I think I recall I just didnt write it in my notes!!! Ok that will take some getting used to! haha

Have you heard anything regarding active hold?

ilana182
19th May 2010, 23:48
I rang them last week, because I don't want to go making holiday plans around the time they might schedule a GS, and the lady said MAYBE late July.

oli90
20th May 2010, 02:06
Well at least you know you are in! Active hold is far better than no. Another month and you will be at the medical exam and getting organized to fly!

ilana182
20th May 2010, 02:58
What do they go through at the medical, just out of curiousity? Do you have to get it done at a certain place? I'm on the Sunshine Coast and am wondering if I'd have to travel to Brisbane or somewhere for it.

oli90
20th May 2010, 06:49
I currently live on the Gold Coast but I travelled to brisbane for the Medical examination. You will be given a list of approved medical examiners who are under contract with Qantas, in which you can choose from depending on your location. By memory the designated practices are located in the main cities i.e Brisbane, New south wales, perth etc So depending where you are you might have to travel. They are pretty thorough, you will undergo a Drug and Alcohol test, hearing test, vision, ear pressure, lung capacity, flexibility, balance and co-ordination and general health. I had to get some vaccinations such as hep B and C but you must provide a vaccination record. All up my medical cost around $420! Money well spent though :)

ilana182
20th May 2010, 23:11
Yeah I thought that would be the case. Yeah I agree I don't mind paying the money cos it'll be worth it :)

oli90
20th May 2010, 23:16
Do you think there are furthur opportunities for CC flying Casual to move up to full time after a certain time frame? I also received another email last night from Virgin Blue Recruitment inviting me to the second RD day for full time Sydney based!!!!!!!!! The RD day is only a few days before I am due to start Jetstar GS!!!!!????? Im so Confused as to what I should do :sad:

ilana182
20th May 2010, 23:21
I don't know what to tell you. I applied for VB and if I had of been invited to an RD (which I wasn't) I would have taken that over Jetstar any day because I've always wanted to work for VB. Not to mention VB is full time.

tinkerbell200
21st May 2010, 00:01
I'm with Ilana82 - VB is full time GO for it - there are a lot of casuals ahead of you at Jetstar wanting to go full time....:O

oli90
21st May 2010, 22:06
Hi!
Do you mean existing casual employees??? Such as yourself??? haha
I know but don't think I am ready for the big SYDNEY MOVE :ooh:
Besides I have been speaking to some other existing Jetstar CC who told me I was making the right decision as I am only 19 and believe it would be a great experience to do shift work and get my foot in the door. There is also room to move up in the company and I am prepared for the hard work ahead!
I am also not guaranteed a position with VB

tinkerbell200
22nd May 2010, 01:12
H Oli,

yep i do mean myself, I been flying for 3 months now and I was part of the 2nd group to go through, almost all the casuals I know from 3 groups want full time, we've been told it possible but who knows when, there are still
applicants on active hold from last December who applied for full time and are waiting for the same opportunities. It is a great way to get a foot in the door.

I agree it's a big move at 19, so if you are able to live on a casual wage for a few years (or however long it takes to go full time maybe it's the right decision for you)...I'm 18 and still living at home so it works for me but I know a few older ones are finding it hard and are really pushing for full time.

Good luck with GS you'll enjoy it i'm sure...study hard and get good pass marks and enjoy your flying...:ok:

oli90
22nd May 2010, 04:47
Sounds like your enjoying it!
I still live at home aswell so it would be fine for me also. I would love full time but again I think this is the best way to go. Who knows we might get lucky! How did you find the Ground School? My mum flew VB and found GS really hard since she hadn't studied in a few years but I love study and cannot wait to get into it! Did you also stay at the Holiday Inn in Melbourne the second 2 weeks? Do you nominate your availability during your first week and also did you find nominating more days a week gives you more rostered shifts?

ilana182
14th Jun 2010, 05:54
I just got this email:

Due to a last minute change, we have increased the number of crew for ground school commencing on Monday 21st June 201.

Please advise if you are able to commence.

I'm so excited! But I don't know how I'll get my ASIC and medical done in time?

CruisyCabinChick
14th Jun 2010, 07:00
Is/has anyone managed to squeeze all of their resume to one-page.
I'm finding it tough.

Any tips would be good as they do specify 'one page' on the invite.

Thank you
CCC:hmm:

ilana182
14th Jun 2010, 07:06
With my resume I put it in two columns and made the font tiny.

longtofly
14th Jun 2010, 10:48
Ilana, i am sooooo happy for you. Just try to squash the medical in... i am sure they don't expect miracles from you as they have given you like NO notice! I so much hope to see you at GS on the 21st! Cheers Nicole.

CruisyCabinChick
14th Jun 2010, 10:56
Dear fellow Jet* Wannabees,
Thank you for to those that have given me the heads-up with some details.

Would you guys/girls have any tips for group activity; final panel interview.
That is, was it apparent to those who didn't make the cut, why they didn't...yes, we're all told to "just be ourselves", but sadly there's more to it than meets the eye.

I know a former recruiter for an airline (Aussie-based) said you're graded (ie. marked out of 5) of most of the activities/presentation/body language etc.

Cheers,
CCC :ok:

ilana182
14th Jun 2010, 23:36
YAY! I rang Altara to make sure my late medical appointment would still be ok and that said it would be fine so I'm also starting GS next Monday! I'm so nervous, GEEZ I hope I pass the medical on Friday!!!